The Last Dive - A Few Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think the point in the Last Dive was so much artifact collecting as it was the ego trip. Yes, there are a lot of junk collectors who need a crate of plates from the Doria, or skull from Uboat, or even a live shell. To me that's no more exciting then driving around my neighborhood on trash day looking for a "treasure" someone threw away.

I think the "China" fever was more of trying to make a name for yourself. To be the guy who got the best china out of the Doria where no one had ever gone before. Or in the Rouse's case, tho be THE guys who discovered the real name of the U-Who. These kinds of ego trips make you try to stay a little longer then you really should, to go places that you really shouldn't, or to try something that isn't really safe, but you have to get that glory.

I don't believe this is restricted to wreck divers either. Although I'm not a cave diver, I suspect they go through thesame thing to get their line just a little further then everyone else, to go down that passageway where no one has ever gone before.

Ok, that was my $.02 for the day. Back to your regularly scheduled debate :D

Ty

I think that's pretty accurate Ty. Gotta admit though, I'll take the crate of china from the Doria...

Tom

I would have to agree that the China Fever was not the focus of the book - it was indeed the greed/ego/bragging rights that came along w/ doing something new, discovering something no one else had. And that I can understand....I could see getting sucked into that obsession very easily.

Having only dove wrecks in the great lakes, in protected areas, I had just never been exposed to the attitude that it is okay to take things from the wrecks, so I was a bit surprised all of a sudden to read about people cramming as much as they could fit into a bag. I was just curious what others thoughts were...ie., was this normal behavior on other wrecks.

I do appreciate all the responses...as always, interesting and informative to learn someone elses viewpoint.

Thank you for the clarification - I have not been exposed to that attitude towards wreck diving yet, nor have I ever dove in a salt water environment.

You just need a VA Beach or NC trip...almost everyone on the boat will be equipped with crowbars, tack hammers, etc. and they will spend their entire dives banging **** together, beating the hell out of things trying to get them off, and throwing **** around looking for something to take home.

It's really a trip to watch...

It does sound like a fun time.

I grew up in the outdoors it seemed, and have always had the "Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints" attitude, so it seemed natural to me to have that opinion extended to the shipwrecks that I dove - especially after hearing everyone always talk about not touching anything underwater.

I do remember a shore dive in Copper Harbor, MI I was doing - an agate hunt. Three of the divers I was with had rock hammers to crack open potential agates to see if something was inside of them. It sounded hilarious down there with all the hammers going, especially when you couldn't see anyone.

I have dived wrecks in 4 countries and in all but one (the US) it was against the law to disturb the wreck site or take artifacts without permission. As someone who also did archaeology at university I can tell you that all aspects of the wreck are vital to telling it's story, including the little stuff. I personally believe that whoever is responsible for the marine environment and what is in it in the US should bring in legislative protection for all wreck sites. 3 wrecks I dive on in the St. Lawrence river had been stripped by US divers even though they lay in Canadian waters and are protected by law. having dived on protected wreck sites, I can confirm that the wrecks left in original condition are far more interesting to dive on. My last dive was on the Clan McWilliam in Vava'u, Kingdom of Tonga.
Cheers all ears,
The Gasman

greg somers once bubbled...
I have dived wrecks in 4 countries and in all but one (the US) it was against the law to disturb the wreck site or take artifacts without permission. As someone who also did archaeology at university I can tell you that all aspects of the wreck are vital to telling it's story, including the little stuff. I personally believe that whoever is responsible for the marine environment and what is in it in the US should bring in legislative protection for all wreck sites. 3 wrecks I dive on in the St. Lawrence river had been stripped by US divers even though they lay in Canadian waters and are protected by law. having dived on protected wreck sites, I can confirm that the wrecks left in original condition are far more interesting to dive on. My last dive was on the Clan McWilliam in Vava'u, Kingdom of Tonga.
Cheers all ears,
The Gasman

I see, you "did archaeology at university". Are you an archaeologist or just a guy that took one class running his mouth (or fingers, however you want to look at it)?

The U.S. divers stripped your Canadian wrecks? How do you know this? Someone told you so?

I've heard this particular whine-line a hundred times; "only the scientists know how". It was BS the other 99 times too.

I think you should worry about your wrecks and not worry about ours.

Tom
Wreck Diver- USA

I actually have an archaeology degree and I have taken artifacts off a wreck before (a few times). I figure if the wreck is within the historical period and is already so scattered and wire-dragged/blown up that the original stratigraphy is blown to crap and any evidence that would have been gleaned from finding the artifacts in situ has long since been destroyed by man and nature then what's the harm?

...but that's just me.. *shrug*..I may have left it alone had I seen an Australopithecine skeleton or maybe at least something from early homo (habilis, erectus, whatever), but not with something that new...

I think attitiudes to collecting spidge (thank you Wreck Ferrets!) has changed over the years since the events of this book. In days of old BSAC has been called "Better Send Another Crowbar" but attitudes have defintely changed.

I for one am more than happy to just take photos - I have enough junk at home as it is.

However, if I was on a Wreck Hunting expedition that would be different - but only to identify the wreck. When I go back to the UK I'm going to be looking up the archaeology mob as I think that would be a nice way to give back.

Jonathan

I personally believe that whoever is responsible for the marine environment and what is in it in the US should bring in legislative protection for all wreck sites. 3 wrecks I dive on in the St. Lawrence river had been stripped by US divers even though they lay in Canadian waters and are protected by law.

You've got alot of nerve accusing or ass/u/me/ing that only Americans are taking things off these wrecks. Thats a typical stament made by a person who doesnt know his :badmoon: from a hole in the wreck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom