The Local Dive Shop and Their Advantage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Stuart,

I think we are talking about the very same thing from different sides. My 9 looks like your 6. :) ....... but you are really not doing the store a favour by shopping there.

Hmm. When I could buy it cheaper online, and it's more convenient to get it online (I order it, it shows up on my doorstep 2 days later - I never even had to get in my car), and I know that the extra $50 I pay to the shop to buy it there is not going to make any difference to whether they are still there and in business next year, but I pay the extra $50 anyway, it sure feels like I'm doing them a favor.

Regardless, the point was that if the shop TREATED people like the customer is doing them a favor when they spend money there, they would probably ultimately do more business. My one LDS seems to be a model example of this.

I know that the extra $50 I pay to the shop to buy it there is not going to make any difference to whether they are still there and in business next year, but I pay the extra $50 anyway, it sure feels like I'm doing them a favor.

Do you vote? The idea that your $50 doesn't contribute significantly to the sustainability of the business is plain wrong. True... that $50 may not make the difference. But if 75% of their clients chose not to spend that same $50 once a year? Wow.

I will concede that it is not wrong to frame this that you are doing them a favour...... but the same logic would then dictate that when you blow a seal and need an O ring for your dive tomorrow morning that they are doing you a favour by having one for you to go and pick up today. :)

Regardless, the point was that if the shop TREATED people like the customer is doing them a favor when they spend money there, they would probably ultimately do more business. My one LDS seems to be a model example of this.

I agree completely - showing client appreciation must be practiced for any long term successful businesses.[/QUOTE]

As an independent instructor, I have read this thread with great interest. I find what the OP has said is mostly true. As the owner of the largest website for Scuba, I have often encountered misunderstanding, fear and even downright hostility from many shops and their owners. They see ScubaBoard as 'the' problem rather than a solution. Although I'm not a millenial, I guess I'm often treated like one.

It sucks and we can see how their backwards thinking has been affecting our industry.

In order to help, I have always made myself available to shops, manufacturers and any Scuba related business in order to help them cope and possibly thrive. They really don't want to hear it and they would rather entrust their business to Facebook posts than to spend some time here becoming a part of the tribe.

Do you vote? The idea that your $50 doesn't contribute significantly to the sustainability of the business is plain wrong. True... that $50 may not make the difference. But if 75% of their clients chose not to spend that same $50 once a year? Wow.

I will concede that it is not wrong to frame this that you are doing them a favour...... but the same logic would then dictate that when you blow a seal and need an O ring for your dive tomorrow morning that they are doing you a favour by having one for you to go and pick up today. :)

It certainly seems that many shops feel that way. But I don't see it that way. This isn't a two-way street. I'm not a business. They are. "The customer is always right" is, in many ways, true. Them having O-rings in stock is not doing me a favor. It is completely self-serving. Me choosing to pay more to buy something from them is not self-serving. As I said, I'm talking about the frequent case of it being cheaper AND more convenient for me to buy it online. When I spend time and gas money to drive there and then pay more to buy it from them, it is not self-serving (well, unless it is, for some reason, like I need it TODAY).

They chose to go into business, thus putting themselves in the position of needing customers to survive. Having O-rings in stock is necessary to their survival - not a favor to me. I don't have any need whatsoever to dive. If I blow an O-ring and can't dive today, it's not going to affect my ability to put food on my table. I can order the O-ring online and dive next weekend. Like I said, it's not a two-way street.

They chose to go into business, thus putting themselves in the position of needing customers to survive. Having O-rings in stock is necessary to their survival - not a favor to me. I don't have any need whatsoever to dive. If I blow an O-ring and can't dive today, it's not going to affect my ability to put food on my table. I can order the O-ring online and dive next weekend. Like I said, it's not a two-way street.

Respectfully, you are wrong. Every relationship, professional or otherwise is a two way street. It doesn't have to be weighted 50/50, but there certainly needs to be a balance. Perhaps you don't need to dive to out food on your table, that isn't the point, and is very short sighted.

I see many on SB refer to divers as a community ..... A real community recognizes that even if not directly connected, supporting others in that community will inevitably benefit the other members.

When people begin to categorize these things as a favour - ie. " You owe me because I choose to spend money here" no one benefits. The balance, online or in person is in the value of that relationship.......and often, the customer is not right.....they are just to obtuse to notice.

What type of a customer service experience should someone expect from a shop with the attitude they are doing divers a favor or at a minimum in an equally symbiotic relationship... my guess is not a great one.

What type of a customer service experience should someone expect from a shop with the attitude they are doing divers a favor or at a minimum in an equally symbiotic relationship... my guess is not a great one.

I frequent 2 local shops. One treats me just fine. They don't act like they're doing me a favor. They have good prices. But, they also don't treat me like they feel like I'm doing them a favor, either. The other shop makes me feel like they are happy to see me every time I walk in, whether I'm there to spend money or if I'm just there to drink their beer. They make me feel like they think I'm doing them a favor just by stopping in. I'm sure you can guess which one I gravitate towards.

It seems that I am in a lonely position on this point. :)

It is ok.... I am good company. LOL

I am not suggestion that dive shops should operate under the idea they are doing a favour, nor that they are in an equal 50/50 symbiotic relationship.

Shops need to work to earn customer loyalty, and then they need to work to keep it. My point through this is that there is a lot more involved in it on both sides than just price matching what you find online.

Skeptic14, you are right.... that would be a poor experience.....I would suggest also however, that you should expect to have a similarly poor experience with a shop if your attitude is that you are doing them a favour shopping there, especially if they are a good shop that does earn your business.

Interesting points of view that each have some merit. I do tend to lean toward Stuart. A possible analogy is a fast food place having plenty of condiments that you can grab yourself rather than having to ask for like 5 salts, 3 peppers, etc.
An endless o ring supply is just part of being a LDS. I don't think "doing a favor" is really relevant. The friendliest, cheapest prices, etc. shop gets my vote.

I would suggest also however, that you should expect to have a similarly poor experience with a shop if your attitude is that you are doing them a favour shopping there, especially if they are a good shop that does earn your business.

Again we disagree. If it's a good shop that does earn their customers' business, then it should be a good experience no matter what the customer thinks about whether the customer is doing the shop a favor. If the shop and customer both feel like the customer is doing the shop a favor, there is no reason at all why it should be a bad experience for anyone. Of course, some people just have a bad attitude and are never going to be happy, no matter what. But, it is entirely possible for people to do favors for others and still be pleasant about it and not make the other person (or shop) feel like they now owe them something.

With a good shop, a customer can walk in with a bad "I'm doing you a favor" attitude and that shop will be happy to have them and change them into a good "I'm happy to do you a favor" attitude.

OTOH, the all too common shop will have a customer walk in with a bad "I'm doing you a favor" attitude and the shop person they're dealing with will show very poor customer relations skills by reacting with more of a "screw you. You're not doing me any favors" attitude. This seems to be especially likely if it is the actual shop owner him or herself. At that point, everyone loses.

I really hate the two-faced places where, as long as you're emptying your wallet every time you walk in, they're your best friend. But, as soon as you say "oh, I needed a new reg and I got it from DGX" they don't even want to talk to you. That kind of attitude is why I no longer own a BMW motorcycle and don't expect to ever have another.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom