The Local Dive Shop and Their Advantage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an independent instructor, I have read this thread with great interest. I find what the OP has said is mostly true. As the owner of the largest website for Scuba, I have often encountered misunderstanding, fear and even downright hostility from many shops and their owners. They see ScubaBoard as 'the' problem rather than a solution. Although I'm not a millenial, I guess I'm often treated like one.

It sucks and we can see how their backwards thinking has been affecting our industry.

In order to help, I have always made myself available to shops, manufacturers and any Scuba related business in order to help them cope and possibly thrive. They really don't want to hear it and they would rather entrust their business to Facebook posts than to spend some time here becoming a part of the tribe.

Truer words have never been spoken Doc! I posted yesterday to the "Changing Scuba Industry" thread about my issues and concerns with my original LDS, their ownership, instructors, DM's, shop staff and their business model and never even thought twice or concerned myself with writing it because I know that none of them are passionate enough about scuba diving to even be on Scubaboard- it wasn't any of them that directed me to this outstanding forum -- LOL -- It's actually really sad, but I have to laugh!-- None of that to say that I haven't taken the time to personally share my concerns with them in the past or volunteer my time and business expertise to help make a difference. It really was brought home to me when one day I saw a not yet certified diver (one classroom and one pool session) come on Scubaboard and share their fears about the quality of scuba education they were experiencing to that point and looking to this community for answers and support. After putting 2 and 2 together, I realized she was talking about my LDS! -- I took my lunch break the following day and drove over to the shop and explained to the owner that he had a disgruntled and confused student/customer and what the issues were and how I became aware of it-- I just got the deer in the headlights stare after suggesting that he might want to take the time to get on Scubaboard for any one of a hundred reasons!

I just got the deer in the headlights stare after suggesting that he might want to take the time to get on Scubaboard for any one of a hundred reasons!
If they need help or training, have them contact me. That's my job, so to speak.

It seems that I am in a lonely position on this point. :)
I'm on your side! I like almost all LDSs. There are a few that I won't go to. There's a shop in Cave Country that attacks ScubaBoarders through their t-shirt, so he's off my visit or even mention list. If you want to know the shop, please PM me. I'm not going to give them free publicity and mention them publicly. :D Please don't ID them publicly if you think you know who it is either. It's a personal decision on my part. Other than that, I'm all for having healthy dive shops. Without them we don't have much of an industry. You can't buy air through the interwebs. Not even with an I-Air, USB air whip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom