The lowdown on sea stars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never thought one could get "pumped up" about echinoderms, but this author has managed it! Only one typo (pedicellariae), and one contentious remark (the cnidarian folks would contest the "first radial phylum for directed movement" line). Starfish are only secondarily radial in any event.

The last sentence is an error. Sea cucumbers are the dominant deep-sea fauna. I only wish starfish beat those gooey things out.

The author needs more pictures. A true fanatic would just dump a heap of photos everywhere and have the viewers figure it out for themselves. I cry for the masses that don't know what a madreporite is... wait now I forgot. Nuts.

I think this is the most informative thing i've read all year. Great stuff, but i agree with the last poster, more pictures would have been nice.

Cnidaria (polyps and medusae) and Ctenophora (comb jellies) both have evolved radial cannals before the Echinoderms.

The cnidarians and Ctenophorans use their radial canals as circulatory structures however, and there's no documented evidence that the Echinoderms use their Water vascular system as a nutritive circulatory structure.

Heh. I feel like a huge geek talking about stuff like this.

IT'S FUUUUN!

A lot of recent work is now sticking ctenophores with the Bilateral clades. I forget the details but it's in the textbooks now. The whole radial symmetry thing seems to be slowly heading out the door.

Echinoderm water vascular systems have a secondary nutritive function, as do most other external and internal tissues that come into contact with the water column. It's in the form of dissolved organic matter (amino acids, sugars, etc.) however... you're probably confusing it with particulate matter.
Most of the work on direct DOM uptake was done in the '60's and '70's by the French, who have an obscure delight in anything food-related.

I'm hungry now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom