The Mares & Dacor HUB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a hub, I'm happy with it. No I'm not expert (like most everyone else here).

If you get one I do recommend that you install a swivel on the secondary, it will pull less and be more streamlined.

Yes they are mucho pricey if you pay full retail. I picked one up on ebay for $800.00US. I doubt any would say they could get high end rig that (bc and reg).

Briefing a dive buddy about your gear should be done before any dive. This is a non-issue.

Manual inflation hose, yes slighty more effort I would guess, but then I've never had to use (other than practice).

Air trim, its nice to be in most any position and inflate/deflate the bc.

The one thing that I thought was a joke when I bought it was the pneumatic tank strap. Wrong, I love it now, makes it too easy.

I don't like the bulk created by the octopus, I'd like to replace it with a small flat octopus (sorry don't remember the term).

If you have it worked on, either send the whole thing in, or break out a wrench to disconnect the component (if you feel comfortable doing this).

Which brings me to my problem, my first stage needs a rebuild. Can anyone give me part numbers or recommend someone who sells a rebuild kit?

Frogface once bubbled...
Yes they are mucho pricey if you pay full retail. I picked one up on ebay for $800.00US. I doubt any would say they could get high end rig that (bc and reg).

Halcyon 27 lb MC system: $505
Apeks ATX50 + ATX40: $366

$866, and that's retail price on the Halcyon. Want to go cheap, you can get a very nice back inflate BC from LP for $300, bringing your total to, er, $666.

Basically, everyone here pretty much agree's the HUB is a POS. Sorry to have to break it to you, but - yeah, it is.

Secondly, Jonnythan is right. Your comment about getting a top of the line BC and Reg is just plain wrong. The Apeks regulator combo is absolutely sweet - and used by cave or technical divers across the world. Whatever comes with the HUB - isn't.

Secondly, on price issues, Jonnythan wasn't even comparing apples to apples. The prices he quoted are full retail. If, like yourself, you run to E-Bay, you can get a backplate and wing combo for $400 or less, without too much problem.

Sorry dude - if I were you, I'd Ebay the Hub, recover some of what you paid and start over.

I am looking into buying the HUB Avantgarde for as my first BC and would like to know some better info about it than what I have read. I have compared prices and it will save me a lot of money by doing so. So please tell me about the pros and cons so I can make my decision.

Go into the search feature, and type in HUB. You'll learn more about that system then you probably want to.

Enjoy your research!

Scott

T_Mancini once bubbled...
I am looking into buying the HUB Avantgarde for as my first BC and would like to know some better info about it than what I have read. I have compared prices and it will save me a lot of money by doing so. So please tell me about the pros and cons so I can make my decision.

What size do you need? I have an Avantguard for sale! Having dived it, I can also tell you whatever you need to know - PM me for some constructive discussion instead of all this.

We've gone and done a lot of work to answer a myriad of your questions over all sorts of topics - and you go and try to sell the man a HUB?????

Shame on you! Do the proper thing and go use it for target practice or something. Let me appeal to your sense of honesty and decency.

:wacko:

Yeah - but its your fault I'm selling it!!!!:D :D

Having used it, I can give an honest assesment of it's performance, and I would be the first to say - don't buy one. But - they are good rigs for recreational divers - having used them - I don't buy into all this death trap gloom and doom stuff.

Do you mean as in Mares vs Dacor? I don't have one, but I know that the Mares is more expensive. I guess that the brand of built-in regulators are the main difference between the HUBs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom