The Morrison Spring Cavern Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt, by chance have you done any HDR photography? Could be an option. Let me know if you need any information on it. A ton of information can be obtained from the POTN website, if you like it, there is also an underwater photography website that may have some good information. Sorry I can't help ya. Out of 11K worth of photography gear, not one piece of it can get wet. Lol

Kenny

I haven't done much of it, mostly because the great majority of it that I see posted looks incredibly fake and even cartoony. I have seen some awesome results using the technique as well, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that they require far more work than a quick and easy plug-in. Besides, we'd need several shots from exactly the same position, probably with a far greater latitude of exposure than most cameras bracketing allows. Not a problem on land, with a tripod and remote, but things will get far more difficult UW.

I'm thinking a simple long exposure would be best. Probably stacking a couple photos with different areas exposed would be the next best option. These are tried and true methods for UW cave shots I've seen.

Mat the following photo was taken with a single Mag light. I just walked back and forth lighting up the train. As log as you donÃÕ stop moving or shine the beam back towards the camera you will not see the light source or the person I have painted the entire two sides of the large church that sits up on 59 by county rd 32. You will want an ISO of 100 or below if possible or better yet an SLR with provia slide film works better. If you all need any help with the Digital darkroom IÃÍl gladly lend a hand. I have most of the adobe photoshops and plugins on the market or I can get my hands on it quick from Arthur Morris or Greg Downing

Another thought came to mind. Have you considered the use of a 12vt light? Such as a flounder light or pool light? It wouldnÃÕ take much to seal one up and set a battery up top it donÃÕ take much light for a long exposure. If there was a way of using my strobes and light boxes underwater I would gladly let you use them

Yeah, I don't think we'll have a problem with painting the walls either. We have lots of lights available along with a few strobes that can be switched to slave mode, so I think we have the lighting covered.

Here's an example of the photo taken in a French cave(Ressel) that used multiple shots, exposing different areas, then seamed them all together. He was only able to do this by rigging the housing in a manner that allowed the camera to shoot continuously while he swam around lighting areas of the cave up.

ressel_big6.preview.jpg

Matt, I have several friends who have some background in doing these. Some uses some pretty fancy programs such as photo combine or something to that nature. All easy to use. If you like, I can round up some names of these and pass to you. While overseas this was about the only thing that kept us occupied. I was surprised at how easy it was to layer multiple photos with only a few clicks.

I have a nice edition of Adobe Photoshop CS2 if I can be of any help. Naturally about as much as I can offer you guys short of lending someone some glass. I dont have flood covereage of any of my stuff any longer, but can add it to my plan at a click of the mouse through DEPP

Ken

Why don't we contact Wes and get advice on the procedure that he uses?
I'll see what I can do to contact him.

Count me in for this project!

Just a question, might it be worth spending a little money on some lighting equipment on the day of the big shoot? My 330 has a hard time with wide shots in the dark with just a focus light. I wouldn't want to break the bank. Has anyone priced how much to rent some pro lights?

Could we use some "rope" lighting (like vortex) tucked behind rocks to paint areas and allow for focus in the dark issues? May-be we could rent some lights and technology expertise from vortex at a reasonable rate. I've got a portable generator for power if we need it.

Slave strobes will be important - I have my crappy sunpak (if it does not flood it will be of good use), who else has slaves?

Wes and I were just explaining this shot to a Japanese film crew that wanted to get a similar effect. The shot cost about $250,000 to produce if you include the lighting technology and divers and gas. Due to the deep nature of the Die Polder there were several less successful attempts than the shot you saw on National Geographic's website.

Two of the lights were made for the Titanic dives. The Russians were too afraid to use them since a glance into their light could permanently blind a diver. These were modified from their original surface-supplied cable to operate on battery packs. Two other lights were specially created for the shot. We call those snare drums.
To make a long story short... it took a very talented and experienced team to pull it off with great difficulty and risk. It was also shot on medium format film... a gorgeous high-resolution product.

I'm afraid the more people you try to put in a room, the great the CF it is going to be. One diver's silt will ruin the shot immediately. Lights pointing in the wrong direction will ruin a shot instantly. There is no chance of orchestrating a large team of people who do not work together all the time. On top of that, the average dive light is not meant to spread a beam the way a photographic strobe or video light would fill a space.

I would highly suggest rethinking this plan to one of two approaches...
1. Get a small team of four underwater grips (lighting experts) and one experienced photographer with the best camera possible.
OR
2. Use a hard mounted tripod with time exposure and swim with high-powered strobes to light the space. Only one or two divers needed!

I don't mean to rain on the parade. By all means gather and celebrate this great dive with a bunch of people and a ton of lights. You'll have a wonderful experience... it is just that recording it as a photo is a much bugger nut to crack.

Best of luck!

Jill Heinerth
www.IntoThePlanet.com
Rebreather Pro

Jill - Thanks for the info. I agree we need as few people in the cavern as possible. We're not looking for the same production shot that spawned this thread I think, just maybe something nice to throw up online and maybe even get some halfway decent prints from. Atleast thats what I'd like to see come from this.

Matt, I have several friends who have some background in doing these. Some uses some pretty fancy programs such as photo combine or something to that nature. All easy to use. If you like, I can round up some names of these and pass to you. While overseas this was about the only thing that kept us occupied. I was surprised at how easy it was to layer multiple photos with only a few clicks.

I have a nice edition of Adobe Photoshop CS2 if I can be of any help. Naturally about as much as I can offer you guys short of lending someone some glass. I dont have flood covereage of any of my stuff any longer, but can add it to my plan at a click of the mouse through DEPP

Ken

I've got cameras and glass, just no housing, but several others have cameras(and glass with housings involved, like Glen and SeaYoda).

The issue with multiple exposures will come from getting the lattitude needed for the shot. I'm thinking we'll need more than a stop in either direction, and then some. Merging several shots into one could work, but it would take some sort of rigging of the shutter button to continuously fire without having to manipulate the camera by hand.

Count me in for this project!

Just a question, might it be worth spending a little money on some lighting equipment on the day of the big shoot? My 330 has a hard time with wide shots in the dark with just a focus light. I wouldn't want to break the bank. Has anyone priced how much to rent some pro lights?

Could we use some "rope" lighting (like vortex) tucked behind rocks to paint areas and allow for focus in the dark issues? May-be we could rent some lights and technology expertise from vortex at a reasonable rate. I've got a portable generator for power if we need it.

Slave strobes will be important - I have my crappy sunpak (if it does not flood it will be of good use), who else has slaves?

I'm not up for spending money. I think we can get an OK picture with what we have. You have the SunPak, I can probably get ahold of another SeaLife strobe(with slave function), and I think Glen has atleast two external strobes.

As for focusing, put the E330 in manual focus and stick it on infinity!

Ty for the imput Jill...I knew you were the go to gal!

I think this will be alot of fun and we can accomplish some interesting shots!

Carolyn:shark2:

Thanks for the input Jill. I know we are thinking beyond our pocket books and our equipment...but I am hoping we can come up with some kind of picture that will be a step up from the narrow focus shots we are all getting now. I agree with Mat, if we could just paint portions of the cavern at a time...we would have far more then what we are getting now.

I have two Ikelite strobes, not the strongest in the world but they can work in slave mode. Yoda's flash, and some well placed lights might get us a chunk of the cavern at once...then we can evaluate the outcome and see if it is worth the effort to refine the process.

Like Jill said, the process itself will be enjoyable. Even if we don't get what we desire in the picture...I look forward to the process, the planning, and the diving. The worst that could happen is that we just get some good pictures of us "trying" to get a GREAT picture.

Let's start posting a list of equipment that people have that is available for the project...specifically cameras, strobes, and lights. Then we can build a plan from there. Mat and others more knowledgeable in cameras can give us direction on that.

I would still like to give this a try. Jill and other pro's who might be monitoring this thread....PLEASE give us your opinions as we further develop this crazy idea.

I'm not up for spending money. I think we can get an OK picture with what we have. You have the SunPak, I can probably get ahold of another SeaLife strobe(with slave function), and I think Glen has atleast two external strobes.
As for focusing, put the E330 in manual focus and stick it on infinity!

Lets start a list of available equipment and see what kind of setup(s) we could use:

Canon G10 (If Ikelite gets the housing finished by the end of November as they announced)
Ikelite D50 Strobe
Ikelite D51 Strobe

Back
Top Bottom