The negatives of bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just sent Jim L. a message ordering a HOG bp/w. I was able to get in the pool with one and even though it wasn't adjusted properly for me I am confident I will like it!

. Haven't done glue on pockets cause I have 2 wetsuits and everyone I know who has done this has had problems with them coming off over time. QUOTE]

I attached pockets to my neoprene wetsuit using E6000 glue ...been using them for several years no problems what so ever

Dave

These threads always confound me. The harness fits well enough to switch between a rashie and board shorts and a drysuit with thick undergarment in less than a couple of minutes (just pull slack through the hip guides and move your buckle a few inches).

There's no need to have pockets - you should have those on your dive shorts (warm water) or suit (cold water).

I bob around at the surface in the oh-so-calm waters of Southern California with no problem keeping my head afloat (is this actually a problem for anyone or a myth propagated on this board? My guess is the latter).

Finally, if you're evaluating things like $30 glue on pockets for "cost" or hesitating to use them because they may need to be reglued after a few hundred dives perhaps ask yourself whether or not you ought to be participating in this activity in the first place. This ain't no poor man's sport.

I've never had any downside to a BP/W setup. Can't say the same for any of the more traditional BCDs I've owned. YMMV.

When I had my current wetsuit made, I asked for thigh pockets. Guess what the lady did? She glued it on THEN she even stitched them a bit. Less than five minutes of work for both pockets.

Somehow I don't think that these pockets will come off any time soon.

If pockets come off, it's due to a poor job on the installation.
Likely reasons would be improper preparation, the wrong adhesive, or not following the directions for the correct adhesive.

It's not that difficult.......we're talking about pockets. :wink:

If pockets come off, it's due to a poor job on the installation.
Likely reasons would be improper preparation, the wrong adhesive, or not following the directions for the correct adhesive.

It's not that difficult.......we're talking about pockets. :wink:

I have had seam failures on wetsuits when they are not stitched, why would this not happen on pockets?
No doubt good surface prep helps, but I really like stitching to back it up.

Because if you install them right they don't need to be stitched. I have three suits of my own and one of my GF's that I have put pockets on with Aquaseal and they show no signs of coming loose. One of those suits has had them on for six years, two for going on five, and my GF's for going on three. And I use the crap out of the pockets. I like the XS Scuba version with the neoprene backing. It does come with a small tube of Aquaseal but it is nowhere near enough.

As for surface prep other than being clean and dry none is needed.
You simply put the suit on.

Then lay the pocket on your leg and trace the outline on the suit. I use a white or yellow soft colored pencil.

Then take the suit off.

Get some cardboard and an old towel.

Cut the cardboard in roughly the shape of your thigh but bigger. Remember it's going in flat. If you screw up no biggie just cut another piece and make it a bit bigger and use both.

Wrap them in the towel and insert them in the leg of the suit. That will stretch it slightly. It needs to stretch enough that the pocket now lays in the outline on the stretched suit and they match.

If they don't you have not stretched it enough if you can't see the outline. If the outline is slightly larger no problem. Smaller - problem.

Now take the larger tube of Aquaseal you should have bought as well and trace the outlines on both the suit and pocket.

Don't gob it up just a nice even line on each.

Then make an "X" across both.

Then a "+". Now you have enough glue.

For good measure put an extra bead across the top.

Now lay the pocket on the suit and on top of that place a large book.

One that you are not likely to read in the next 24 hours. Should cover the whole thing.

Now put some weights on it. I use 5 lb'ers on each corner and a six in the middle.

Allow to set up overnight and you're done.

Not rocket science but does require common sense. Most of the ones I have heard of coming loose did so because of two issues.

Too chintzy with the glue and or did not stretch the suit.

The edge of a seam, being between 3mm and 7mm, has far less surface area than the back of a 6" x 8" pocket.

Personally I've found BPs very uncomfortable if diving with a single tank. I greatly prefer a soft harness (like the Transpacs or my preference, the older Scubapro X-Tek) and wing. They conform to my body and are more stable IMHO. Of course it may have something to do with my hunchback!

Jim Lapenta:
Now lay the pocket on the suit and on top of that place a large book.

One that you are not likely to read in the next 24 hours. Should cover the whole thing.

Now put some weights on it. I use 5 lb'ers on each corner and a six in the middle.

Allow to set up overnight and you're done.
Note: NOT a Kindle. A Real book, if you still have any....:gas:

Back
Top Bottom