The New (2006) Bare 7mm Velocity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my Hyperstretch, I'm not sure what features you say the Henderson doesn't have, besides the zippers on the legs, which you don't need with Hyperstretch. It has great kneepads, although I don't plan on kneeling a lot while diving...and great arm and leg seals. I won't dive without my HS, of course everything is personal in scuba diving. I've tried other suits and still haven't found anything I like better. The HS fits so well too, no need for custom suits anymore...well, practically. I got mine from www.crazyscuba.com, they are great at getting the right fit, and they have great service and prices, although I think you'll get the same price anywhere if you're buying from an authorized dealer, but the customer service there rocks!

I don't know about the differences in material, except the Henderson has the Titanium woven into their material. Not sure but I don't think the others do. :confused:

Good luck, get a suit to keep you warm is the most important thing. Of course the flexibility with the thickness is another great reason for the Hyperstretch. I don't feel like the Michelin man :11: (no offense MM!), and I can still breathe when I'm in a 7mm HS.

C U underwater,
scubadivadivemaster

I purchased the Velocity Large Tall about a month ago... I ordered it from Scubatoys and had it the next day... If you know what size you are, check them out... great price... also check out divetank they seem to have good prices and quick service!

Hope you make out alright... by the way, the velocity is extremely comfortable... I bought the hooded vest with mine and it's a nice combo!

Mike

Just ordered a Velocity 5/4 Progressive... It turns out that the Velocity *IS* alive and well. The misconception about the Velocity being discontinued, is because they are retiring the 'standard' model, and replacing them with Progressive Stretch.

I have a 3mm Henderson Gold Core full suit that I love. However, needed something for *below* the thermoclines. Because of my stats (5'9", 190lbs., 44 chest, 35 waist), I had to have a completely custom tailored Henderson (and Henderson doesn't come in all those nice Bare and Pinnacle sizes). Found out between the Progressive Stretch of the Velocity, and the LS size, I can buy "off the shelf."

If it works/fits (and if the Progressive Stretch doesn't sacrifice thermal efficiency, like I've heard it might), then between the price, and standard sizing fit, Bare has a new committed customer.
-Barry

BKP:
It turns out that the Velocity *IS* alive and well. The misconception about the Velocity being discontinued, is because they are retiring the 'standard' model, and replacing them with Progressive Stretch.

-Barry

This always seemed like a silly business decision to me.
Not the coming out with a Progressive fabric line but not
really differentiating it from the 'standard' model.

Why come out with a new better product that
still looks like the original and call it the same as the original?

From a marketing perspective new products should look like,
well, new products. Something new: color, shape, design,
something that lets others know even from a distance that you
have the latest model.

In this case, I think there could easily be definite customer confusion.
Even comments in this thread already seem to be showing
some customer confusion over the product line.
Customers price shopping via the WEB may see drastically
different prices for the same "velocity" wetsuit - which
could be do to unknowingly comparing the older models
to the newer models.

I have an older 3/2 velocity (love it) and even when I compare it to pictures
of the new "Progressive Stretch" model, I can't tell the
difference - perhaps its different in person.
It just puts the crazy thought in my head: "Did they really change it
or did they simply up the price and re-market the old features
better?"
I'm assuming that they really did change the fabric.

If it were up to me, I'd have changed something visual
on the product to make it clear to customers like panel
colors as well as perhaps calling it something slightly different
like Velocity2 (with a superscript, as in squared) to emphasize
stretch in 2 directions, etc....

But BARE didn't ask me on this.............................

On a side note have you ever rotated the big "B" circle
logo 90 degrees clockwise and taken a look at?
Try it, it will definitely make you smile! :D

--- Bill

I just got my Bare velocity from Larry / Joe from Scubatoys.

Hyperstretch is a remarkable material.

It fits like a glove. I simply love my new bare wetsuit. A far cry from my old wetsuit.

Great Product - Great Price for $109.00

bperrybap:
From a marketing perspective new products should look like,
well, new products. Something new: color, shape, design,
something that lets others know even from a distance that you
have the latest model.

In this case, I think there could easily be definite customer confusion.
Even comments in this thread already seem to be showing
some customer confusion over the product line.
Customers price shopping via the WEB may see drastically
different prices for the same "velocity" wetsuit - which
could be do to unknowingly comparing the older models
to the newer models.--- Bill

Absolutely agreed.

Almost ordered the original version 'til I called the distributor... They're using the exact same picture, regardless of the site or version of the suit (including the Bare site itself).

You'd think they're missing a major marketing opportunity... Give the new one a swirl... a flourish... TURN the 'B' on it's side...
icon_biggrin.gif

Is the 2006 Velocity actually different or have they just coined the "progressive stretch" term to highlight the features of the design? When I read the progressive stretch blurb it sounded just like my 2004 5/4 Velocity.

Pete

spectrum:
Is the 2006 Velocity actually different or have they just coined the "progressive stretch" term to highlight the features of the design? When I read the progressive stretch blurb it sounded just like my 2004 5/4 Velocity.

Pete

Pete, Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the 2005 version of the Velocity. Some of the sites I've seen advertise "New Progressive Stretch...". yada yada yada...

However, one of the sites I called said the web site info. was for the 'original' Velocity, and they are getting in the Progressives, at which time they'll alter the site information (and prices).

So, if it's a marketing gimmick (call it something new and add $40 to the price without changing a thing), it's brilliant!

-Barry

When my suit got backordered, I got an email from Bare which gave me an email address to respond to for customer service. I asked that very same question about is the suit really of a newer "stretchier" material and they wrote back assuring me that it is:

"Hi Jim
Yes the suit is a new Progressive stretch witch (sic) is a wonderful suit Bare has made the price has increased, sorry I am unable to quote you with a price on the MSRP for we are not a dealer and you will have to contact a dealer to find out what price range they are selling the suit at.
Thanks
Regards.
Customer Service"

Apparently they can't keep up with the demand, as they are not shipping until mid-August (again confirmed by Bare).

So I'm waiting, and HOPING that it's worth the wait. (2 more weeks to go!)

As a sidebar, I'm a little pissed that NONE of the LDS's around here actually carry the Bare line. There are some listed on Bare's URL, but when I called they all said they could "special order" it for me. (At full retail, no doubt!)

In fact I haven't found anyone who actually stocks any "super-hyper-flexi-progressive-yadayada- stretch" suits in the Chicago area, as I wanted to try and evaluate with my own eyes and hands if there was any significant difference in the various product names from one Mfr. to the next.

I've gone so far as to research neoprene material Mfrs. on the internet, and while comparatively few exist they all seem to be in Asia and their websites offer amusing twists of English syntax, but little in the way of substantive info.

I think there should be some industrial "standard" (a la ANSI) for measuring the stretchiness of neoprene, but my guess is there isn't.

(If anyone knows more about neoprene manufacturing please DO chime in!)

SO... I'm guessing that no more than 3 or 4 Asian companies probably supply the vast majority of the raw material that goes into our wetsuits, and the biggest difference between the "maxi-stretch" products of Henderson, Bare, Xcel, Atlan, Liquifit, Wetwear, etc., is in design: color, glueing, stitching, seals, zippers and MARKETING! (Just like regular neoprene.)

Avpro4,

Same boat as you. I recently ordered a new Progressive Bare, and I'm told it will be completed on Aug. 10th (and I responded, asking if it can be overnighted directly from the factory -- I want to dive it the 12th).

-Barry

Back
Top Bottom