The New (2006) Bare 7mm Velocity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveFass:
Don't know about the features of the Velocity, but I tried on a Bare Arctic the other day and was very impressed considering the price. Protection on the main zipper on both sides of the suit (usually it is just one), zippers on the legs, nice simple seals on the arms and calfs, flexible knee pads, easy to get into. The Henderson didn't have any of these features and it was almost twice the price.

When I'm in a 7mm suit, I don't want more openings than I have to have and it isn't needed on the Hyperstretch. Henderson does have the kneespads and zipper protection on both sides.

Per the rep: The Henderson suit is 250% stretch and has the Titanium to help reflect more body heat, other suits are 200% stretch. Henderson also has a coating on the suit to reduce the "fuzzing" effects of the velcro, most other manufacturers don't do that because of the additional cost.

Good luck, let us know which suit you get and how it works for you.

Britt :fish:
:fish:

avpro4:
When my suit got backordered, I got an email from Bare which gave me an email address to respond to for customer service. I asked that very same question about is the suit really of a newer "stretchier" material and they wrote back assuring me that it is:

"Hi Jim
Yes the suit is a new Progressive stretch witch (sic) is a wonderful suit Bare has made the price has increased, sorry I am unable to quote you with a price on the MSRP for we are not a dealer and you will have to contact a dealer to find out what price range they are selling the suit at.
Thanks
Regards.
Customer Service"

Apparently they can't keep up with the demand, as they are not shipping until mid-August (again confirmed by Bare).

So I'm waiting, and HOPING that it's worth the wait. (2 more weeks to go!)

As a sidebar, I'm a little pissed that NONE of the LDS's around here actually carry the Bare line. There are some listed on Bare's URL, but when I called they all said they could "special order" it for me. (At full retail, no doubt!)

In fact I haven't found anyone who actually stocks any "super-hyper-flexi-progressive-yadayada- stretch" suits in the Chicago area, as I wanted to try and evaluate with my own eyes and hands if there was any significant difference in the various product names from one Mfr. to the next.

I've gone so far as to research neoprene material Mfrs. on the internet, and while comparatively few exist they all seem to be in Asia and their websites offer amusing twists of English syntax, but little in the way of substantive info.

I think there should be some industrial "standard" (a la ANSI) for measuring the stretchiness of neoprene, but my guess is there isn't.

(If anyone knows more about neoprene manufacturing please DO chime in!)

SO... I'm guessing that no more than 3 or 4 Asian companies probably supply the vast majority of the raw material that goes into our wetsuits, and the biggest difference between the "maxi-stretch" products of Henderson, Bare, Xcel, Atlan, Liquifit, Wetwear, etc., is in design: color, glueing, stitching, seals, zippers and MARKETING! (Just like regular neoprene.)

Hey Av, if you're ever in Dallas drop on by and try on some suits here, we'll talk Neoprene for hours... :wink:

Please see above post for neoprene differences...

Britt :fish:
:fish:

Well, Ladies and Germs the big day FINALLY came and when I got home last nite there was a nice brown box waiting on my door step... My new 2006 Bare Velocity 7/6 had landed!

Of course the first thing I did was try it on, and while it was a struggle at first, I did get it zipped up (albeit with my wife's assistance), and I could walk around, sit and cross my legs without feeling like I was going to explode. It is however August in Chicago so I didn't stay in it more than 10 minutes before peeling it off.

I am impressed with the overall construction, the mid calf and arm flaps are a nice touch, and there IS a loop at the bottom of the zipper so you can hold it down with one hand while pulling the zipper up with the other. Ankle zippers are nice too.

I later tried it on again with my Diveskin and it was much easier to get in and out of, so I've decided to keep the suit and use it for motivation to stick with my diet.

Getting my hands through the wrist holes was suprisingly hard, but they may expand a little over time.

As for the "progressive stretch", it certainly is more flexible than the regular neoprene. The Velocity has placed the super-stretchy stuff mostly up the arms and over the shoulders which is what makes the suit easier to get on/off .

I hope to get it wet this weekend and I'll file a followup report after I do.

avpro4:
Well, Ladies and Germs the big day FINALLY came and when I got home last nite there was a nice brown box waiting on my door step... My new 2006 Bare Velocity 7/6 had landed!

Congrats... STILL waiting for mine... :light:

BKP:
Congrats... STILL waiting for mine... :light:
Well... finally got in the Bare 5/4 Progressive, today...

In a word: outstanding...

For me, fitting into an "off the shelf" size is an epiphany... (now I know how all y'all perfectly proportioned Sport Diver models feel). Apparently having 45" shoulders, at 185lbs, and 5'9" is *not* necessarily a taylor's dream come true...

I'm very impressed with the construction... glide seal in the cuffs for easy donning/doffing; ankle zippers; ribbed kidney (that's what the "extra room" is: for bending, stretching); pullcord loop, so it's not floating around next to your face; sculpted calves...

Tomorrow, we'll see how it dives...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom