The New Atomic TFX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YES!

I may not be beautiful BUT I am definitely worth it ❤️

I'm with @Geo7 and @Joneill. No desire whatsoever for a TFX as octo.

I cut the TFX hose way down, to preserve that fancy titanium swivel without having a big ole hose bowing out to the right and back to my mouth. It is now too short to even think about donating the reg in my mouth to someone else.

I have a Ti2 on a 40" hose, which runs under my right arm and to a bungee loop that holds its mouthpiece. The Ti2 is plenty good enough of a breather to give to someone else to breathe from.

I do not like having a swivel on an octo (i.e. a reg on a hose that loops under my arm and into a holder). That swivel allows the reg/hose assembly to flex and hang down more than one where the LP hose goes straight into the reg.

Thus, if I had a TFX as secondary, I would end up not keeping the swivel that comes on it. And that is a DANG expensive swivel to take off and have sitting in a parts bin. I think it's about $250 for an Atomic hose with that titanium swivel built in.

I could have a TFX on a short hose (with swivel) to a bungee necklace and then another TFX as my primary, which I would donate. But, that would mean, either, having a long hose bowed out to my right and then back to the reg in my mouth, OR putting an even longer hose on it (thus losing the expensive, titanium swivel) to run it under my arm. I don't want the long hose bowed out to my right, and I don't want to ditch the fancy expensive swivel, to replace it with a cheap 110 degree swivel or a cheap OmniSwivel clone, just to run it under my arm. The Atomic swivel does not offer enough angle to use on a hose that goes down from the mouth and under the arm.

Nope. No dual-TFX setup for me.

"The plan" - TFX Primary, Ti2 Secondary and Pony/stage on Mk11T 1sts.

What?!?!? How COULD you? (mix ScubaPro in there)

I don't think I could get much better for the combination of size/weight/performance/corrosion-resistance/endurance.

Why not a T2 or T3 setup for a pony bottle? That seems like the logical choice, what with the clear need to minimize service kits you carry on trips, etc..

if I end up with a TFX second it’s likely to be only one with a 420 necklessed or a G260 or an F8, who knows but likely will be fed from an F8 first stage.

I cut the TFX hose way down, to preserve that fancy titanium swivel without having a big ole hose bowing out to the right and back to my mouth. It is now too short to even think about donating the reg in my mouth to someone else.

I have a Ti2 on a 40" hose, which runs under my right arm and to a bungee loop that holds its mouthpiece. The Ti2 is plenty good enough of a breather to give to someone else to breathe from.

I do not like having a swivel on an octo (i.e. a reg on a hose that loops under my arm and into a holder). That swivel allows the reg/hose assembly to flex and hang down more than one where the LP hose goes straight into the reg.

Thus, if I had a TFX as secondary, I would end up not keeping the swivel that comes on it. And that is a DANG expensive swivel to take off and have sitting in a parts bin. I think it's about $250 for an Atomic hose with that titanium swivel built in.

I could have a TFX on a short hose (with swivel) to a bungee necklace and then another TFX as my primary, which I would donate. But, that would mean, either, having a long hose bowed out to my right and then back to the reg in my mouth, OR putting an even longer hose on it (thus losing the expensive, titanium swivel) to run it under my arm. I don't want the long hose bowed out to my right, and I don't want to ditch the fancy expensive swivel, to replace it with a cheap 110 degree swivel or a cheap OmniSwivel clone, just to run it under my arm. The Atomic swivel does not offer enough angle to use on a hose that goes down from the mouth and under the arm.

I am not overly hopeful that the standalone TFX will come with a Ti swivel hose. If it does, the hose will probably probably migrate to my necklaced Ti2.

What?!?!? How COULD you? (mix ScubaPro in there)

Why not a T2 or T3 setup for a pony bottle? That seems like the logical choice, what with the clear need to minimize service kits you carry on trips, etc..
I prefer diaphragm regs. (I wish they were SEALED diaphragm regs i.e. Mk17T) Let me know when Atomic makes a sealed diaphragm Ti reg, and maybe the size of the Mares 62X.

ETA

I think I see the confusion ... I'm only getting a TFX 2nd. Ordered June 8th. Hopefully will become available and ship before old-age takes me.

ETA2

I don't bring service kits. I bring a spare 1st and 2nd. @rsingler hasn't made me a good enough reg-tech yet to do a service on the boat.

I am primary donate, I am not going to give somebody else my TFX and me switch to a Ti standard second stage! Atomic has different length hoses with their swivel. Again, I am worth it 😁

I am primary donate, I am not going to give somebody else my TFX and me switch to a Ti standard second stage! Atomic has different length hoses with their swivel. Again, I am worth it 😁

So you just dive the Ti Standard as primary and carry the TFX as your secondary.

There.

That was easy.

I noticed that a couple of Atomic dealers in the United States have the standalone TFX second stage listed as available to order for $1,299.95. I'll speculate that Atomic will include the integrated Ti swivel hose for that price!

I noticed that a couple of Atomic dealers in the United States have the standalone TFX second stage listed as available to order for $1,299.95. I'll speculate that Atomic will include the integrated Ti swivel hose for that price!

I'd say you are correct. One pictures it with the Ti swivel hose, both indicate that it comes with a 32" hose.

Still, ouch!

I'm going to need to get into "underwater hunting" just to protect my regs topside.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom