The old tipping question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tipping is never expected, but always appreciated.

Before I was a DM, I always used $10 a head to start the day. If service was good, they got the $10, if service was great they got $15 or $20, if service was bad they got $0 or $5.

You should not feel obligated to tip, but realize many DM's and Instructors rely on those tips to supplement the low pay in the industry.

I recently tipped $25 per day for 4 days of diving, really 3.5 days of diving over a 4 day period. I felt as though $100 for one person for 13 dives was adequate and will base future tips from that standard plus or minus depending on the level of service.

Welcome to my world. I've only ever tipped in a restraunt twice, and both times the service was wonderful. the rest of the times I've eaten out the service has been service, food arrived, plates disappeared, but I had to wave the staff over for that to happen.......Just doing their job should be their bosses responsibility to pay for.

VERY nicely put. Unfortunately, here in our world, the oh-so-politically-correct USA, most people are so worried that others will think poorly of them that they tip regardless of the level of service received. The predictable result is that since employees know the inevitable tip will be forthcoming, they often see little incentive to provide much in the way of service.

I totally agree that employees should do the job they get paid to do without expecting a tip for standard service, and that only service "beyond the call" should be rewarded with a tip. Isn't that the purpose of a tip anyway?

Well there have been some interesting replies...

Guess I should add in there that I do tend bar one night a week and have been there for about 14years. I am very judgemental about service. I very much tip accordinly to the service I recieve.
Even though I do depend on my tips I work very hard for them and go above and beyond to make sure that everyone is happy. Guess my customers realize that..:)

And I do not like when a place adds a gratuity... as other have said.. they are most likely receiving less from me than they would have gotten..

I tip the DM 5 to 10 per tank, depending on service. If I have a guide, that's an extra tip that is usually pretty generous.

The idea of a mandatory tip kind of rubs me the wrong way and all I can offer is what happens when I see it in restaurants.

1. After implementation, service usually goes from "excellent" to "ok".

2. I usually tip 20 percent in a restaurant. (two kids working through school waiting on tables makes you do that). If there's a mandatory tip included on the bill, I never exceed the amount they charged, so the waitstaff actually ends up with less than they would have gotten...at least from me.

3. The restaurant has to be very very good for me to go back a second time. I'd much rather they just increase the prices on the menu and pay their staff better.

4. I can't see my reaction to having a tip added on for me at a dive operation as being any different.

By the way, I've been on Captain Gary's boats a few times (though I doubt he'd remember me). Each time was an excellent experience, and of course, I tipped accordingly.

I also generally pay $10 per tank for very good service.

Good diving, Craig

I'm a brand new diver, so this tipping thing is new to me and I had no clue what a "normal" tip would be so this has been helpful.

What if you're paying to take lessons though (OW? AOW?), are you still supposed to tip the instructor :confused:

What if you're on a regular dive trip but pay extra to have a DM go with you personally, in addition to whatever guides/DMs are with the group as a whole. If you're already paying for his service, do you give him extra at the end of the trip? :confused:

VERY nicely put. Unfortunately, here in our world, the oh-so-politically-correct USA, most people are so worried that others will think poorly of them that they tip regardless of the level of service received. The predictable result is that since employees know the inevitable tip will be forthcoming, they often see little incentive to provide much in the way of service.

I totally agree that employees should do the job they get paid to do without expecting a tip for standard service, and that only service "beyond the call" should be rewarded with a tip. Isn't that the purpose of a tip anyway?

What others think of me has nothing to do with it in a restaurant. Wait staff in the USA generally work for far below minimum wage so unless you tip them, they can't make a living. While I think it's a flawed concept, it is what it is here in the USA.

Here in South Florida, many dive charters pay their DMs $25/trip and in some cases, nothing. Again, if nobody tipped them, they aren't able to pay their bills.

I was in Europe for the last three weeks and tipping by the locals there is *only* done when service exceeds expectations. The difference is, they are paid reasonable wages that don't require supplemental tips to earn a living.

Last edited:
I'm a brand new diver, so this tipping thing is new to me and I had no clue what a "normal" tip would be so this has been helpful.

What if you're paying to take lessons though (OW? AOW?), are you still supposed to tip the instructor :confused:

What if you're on a regular dive trip but pay extra to have a DM go with you personally, in addition to whatever guides/DMs are with the group as a whole. If you're already paying for his service, do you give him extra at the end of the trip? :confused:

Are you supposed to tip? That answer cant be answered any honest way but the best way to answer it is that its your judgement. As others have stated Dive Masters do work hard most of the time and do it for substandard even in some cases no wages. Im taking my dive master as we speak for the sheer enjoyment of seeing other divers dreams come true and dont expect really much of anything in return.

Consider also that when its non pressing (The ungracious act on the part of the employer not the dive master of a mandatory tip) that part of the reason you got good service is because they are anticipating that you MAY give a tip. They have family and often time children too feed. Bills to pay also and while they dont usually ask for a tip you may be the reason they have food to give to those kids. Maybe the reason they can afford air conditioning in a brutal tropical environment or even that they can afford gas to get to the pier and show you some wonderful diving.

I know some of my post get down right to my hostile feelings to people abusing the way they do or do not receive gratuities because I really feel it should not have to put in ones face that they expect a gratuity but in reality I do believe in helping others out. I remember one time on a dive boat in Hawaii they were supposed to bring fruit on board a dive boat for the between dives surface interval and for some reason beyond their control they could not get the fruit. The lady dive master had brought her lunch and told all the divers that they were welcome to what she had brought because she wanted every one to enjoy their dives. None took it but it was impressing she would go to such lengths.

Now for the last part of your question which was how much to tip. There is no real answer for that. Youll hear numbers thrown out there like 5 dollars a tank to 20 dollars a tank but thats just numbers they themselves tip or are hoping to receive. The truth is determine how greatful you are. If the service was non existant (I mean they did absolutely not a thing for you) then dont tip at all. If they did lousy but still did give some service give them a couple bucks if it was great give them 5 dollars if it was the dive of a lifetime and a dream come true give them anything you want! I have seen tips exceed 100 dollars before. So your answer is give what you feel they deserve.

If you pay a dive master to go with you and you feel he was only worth what you payed then no dont worry about it. But if he really did work hard and did make an effort to make your dive worth what you payed and feel he deserves it then give him what you feel he should receive extra. Just remember though they may never tell you if you do come back to the service they may remember who you are and a good tip record could be the key to outstanding personal service in the future. A non tipper may not receive very good service at all!

Wait staff in the USA generally work for far below minimum wage so unless you tip them, they can't make a living. While I think it's a flawed concept, it is what it is here in the USA

Paying employees below the minimum wage is illegal in most cases.

But minimum wage, like Social Security, was originally intended to be supplemental income - a way for untrained, unskilled people to enter the workforce. Anyone who thinks they will be "living wages" is making some poor life decisions.

Last edited:
If you pay a dive master to go with you and you feel he was only worth what you payed then no dont worry about it. But if he really did work hard and did make an effort to make your dive worth what you payed and feel he deserves it then give him what you feel he should receive extra. Just remember though they may never tell you if you do come back to the service they may remember who you are and a good tip record could be the key to outstanding personal service in the future. A non tipper may not receive very good service at all![/QUOTE]

This is such a true statement when it comes to service.....While it may not be the right way to look at things in this real world that is the way things work!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom