The oldest new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not the oldest, but AOW at 59, Wreck and Enriched at 60 (last month) and planning on continuing until I sink. This is a great activity for us older folk....no gravity to deal with.
Safe Diving, all.

60 in June Just got OW in Maui in January- Was certified in early 70,s but let it slide. Hardest part was carrying all the stuff out of the water. wore me out up and down the beach. i will be a boat diver from here on out. yes young man please haul that up on board and a nice tip when I leave the boat. Oh and Thank You

My mum just got her OW while in Bali last October, she turned 62 yesterday.
She had never been diving before, but my wife and I do.
Dad is 66 and gave it a go, but didn't like the tightness on his chest(one heart attack to many).

This thread makes me chuckle ... back when I was married, Cheng and I had some friends over for dinner one night. We were showing them some of Cheng's underwater pictures from a trip we had taken and one of them commented ... "I wish I had learned how to dive when I was younger. But it's too late now ... I'm almost 45".

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I certified this year and I am 53. My buddy for certification was older than me but I didn't ask his age. I refuse to wind down, grow up, or get old (well I can't help the growing old thing!). Ask me again in twenty years! I hope then the number of dives I've done are greater than my age!

Randy

I'm with Randy.. 56 years old and finishing my final checkout dive this weekend.

OW at 57, DM at 59, active diver (175+ dives/yr) at 62. This is a wonderful sport for an aging population as there is always something new to learn and new goals to achieve.

Certified at 54, DM at 56 and hopefully still going! I have pictures of my dad diving when he was close to 80 years old, that is what got me started, figured if he could do it at that age I could start at my age and I am very glad that I did :wink:

I'm the spring chicken of this group, certified at 51. They do say that 50 is the new 40 :D

I think OLDOGRE has the record, he's 77 and started diving at 73, when he FIRST got certified. He replied to my similar thread yesterday (you didn't do a search first did you? before posting)

I say a round of applause is in order for someone that STARTS at 73 !!! and I may not be accurate on when he started, maybe he'll chime in.....

:yeahbaby::yelclap:

PS - It's amazing what some think of as OLD now, but then I thought the same in my 20's. Now I'm on the side of the fence, taking offense to 40 plus being OLD. LOL

Last edited:
I'm just back into diving at 43 after a 20 yr absence (all of my skills had completely rusted in that time, but at least breathing underwater wasn't a completely foreign concept so I was probably just a mite more comfortable than a complete newbie, although no more skilled). I now dive once a week (mostly from shore) and I'm by far the oldest diver in the group each time. But a man in my parents' apartment block just got certified at 63, and I've heard tell of an 83 yr old lady who dives here in Australia (and apparently also rides a Harley - I want to be her when I grow up).

I seriously regret not learning to dive sooner.When I look back now at the dives that could have been.....:depressed:

But I do find solace knowing that at 49,I still have at least a decade or two to catch up for lost time.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom