The oldest new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I certified at 62. Wish I had started sooner. Now I have to make up for lost years. Both of my sons dive (21 and 38).

In reply to Abaco24, I did OW last Easter & AOW in August at 76. Dive school wanted a letter from my Doctor to say I was fit enough to dive, the hardest bit is walking up & down to the beach with 15L tank 7kg lead in a 7mm wetsuit. I pity those who use doubles drysuits & far more lead!

Well gentlemen. let me tell you about my wife. She started her certification last January. The air temp was 37 degrees F. Night classes.

She finished all the pool work in a 7 mil wet suit. We went to Maui where she did her referral dives as shore dives. Then she went on to do several more shore dives. Her instructor was amazed. He said he couldn't imagine his mother diving, let alone his grandmother.

We have dived Catalina and Morro Bay in California. Last November we went to Akumal, Mexico where she again did dives as deep as 80'.

We are headed to Kona, HI next month and back to Akumal for two weeks in November.

She was 74 when she certified and will be 76 this fall when we return to Akumal.

She says you get old because you quit, not that you quit because we get old.

She also rides on the back of our Harley Road King and has put in 500 mile days.

Oldest person I've certified was days short of his 70th birthday... he could probably challenge me in a footrace at the time, quite fit. I've dove with a couple of men in their late 70s, several women in the 70-75ish range. If a person's active and full of spirit, I don't see age being a big factor these days. I hope I become (I'm talking now) as actve as some of the supposedly "elderly" people I deal with from time to time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom