The Oriskany is in P'cola. (pics included)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Wikipedia entry for the Oriskany was interesting. The writer apparently has a pretty big bias (not uncommon on wikipedia) against the sinking.

"Rather than be preserved as a museum for millions to visit in the 21st century or produce steel and cash for the Navy, extremists groups have allowed the ship to be dishonored by its decade and a half of rusting and eventual scuttling. However, people may still enjoy the Oriskany's memory by visiting the ship's bell located at her namesake city in New York state. Various parts of the ship were also scavenged to aid in cosmetics for the USS Hornet museum in Alameda, California. More progressive individuals assured the survival of that historic ship, unlike the watery fate which awaits the Oriskany in 2006. Also visitors, including those who opposed her being restored as the "City of America" may swim two hundred feet under the ocean to explore the ship when she is scuttled of Pensacola, Florida sometime in 2006. However, this form of visitation is open only to a small segment of society with the skills and license to visit Oriskany as a relic 20 miles out and 200 feet down into the Gulf of Mexico."

"Rather than be preserved as a museum for millions to visit in the 21st century or produce steel and cash for the Navy, extremists groups have allowed the ship to be dishonored by its decade and a half of rusting and eventual scuttling. However, people may still enjoy the Oriskany's memory by visiting the ship's bell located at her namesake city in New York state. Various parts of the ship were also scavenged to aid in cosmetics for the USS Hornet museum in Alameda, California. More progressive individuals assured the survival of that historic ship, unlike the watery fate which awaits the Oriskany in 2006. Also visitors, including those who opposed her being restored as the "City of America" may swim two hundred feet under the ocean to explore the ship when she is scuttled of Pensacola, Florida sometime in 2006. However, this form of visitation is open only to a small segment of society with the skills and license to visit Oriskany as a relic 20 miles out and 200 feet down into the Gulf of Mexico."

Sounds like the writer has a HP hose stuck somewhere it shouldn't be, maybe someone should turn that tank on...

I never considered these rash actions of extremists [sic] groups that orchestrated the sinking of this historic momument. I went ahead and looked at the website for Oriskany, NY so I can plan my annual pilgrimage to join the throngs that will have no choice but to go up there to see the genuine Oriskany ship's bell up there.
That town sure has a lot of potential as a great dive site - maybe after the extremists sink the Oriskany, they can build a cofferdam around the town and deny landlubbers any possible opporunity to see a chunk of the USS Oriskany without getting wet.
Be a great place to skate in the winter too, and the local hockey team could be called The Extremists.

Tom Winters:
I never considered these rash actions of extremists [sic] groups that orchestrated the sinking of this historic momument. I went ahead and looked at the website for Oriskany, NY so I can plan my annual pilgrimage to join the throngs that will have no choice but to go up there to see the genuine Oriskany ship's bell up there.
That town sure has a lot of potential as a great dive site - maybe after the extremists sink the Oriskany, they can build a cofferdam around the town and deny landlubbers any possible opporunity to see a chunk of the USS Oriskany without getting wet.
Be a great place to skate in the winter too, and the local hockey team could be called The Extremists.
Personally I think the bell should be restored to its rightful place on the Oriskany herself..... after all, the same folks who are whining about her sinking would whine if you recovered a bell and "liberated" it.
Hmmm..... extremist mission ..... hmmmm.....
Rick

OriskanySS3_26_6.jpg

This is as close as I could get to the Oriskany, its docked behind a bunch of buildings under construction(damaged during Ivan) and the whole area was blocked off. I managed this picture of the superstructure as it sat between two buildings.

What a fantastic project! A new dive destination and place for new marine life to live and grow. To all those involved I take my scuba hood off to them and say THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!

Apparently, you missed this entry in this highly respected resource!

Wikipedia-(wickee-pee-deeah) 1) n. slang. An online reference resource.
2) n. A firm biased against organised civility. 3) v. slang. To emphaticly issued judgement without consequence of thought. Ie: "Dude, I wikipedia'd so bad after eating all those chili and cheese burritos, my toilet wouldn't flush for three days!"

See!? That's what happens when you dig a little deeper.
They weren't biased, just misunderstood!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom