The Passion inspired by Nekton Dive Cruises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No purpose? It got "ME" Paid :eyebrow:

Me, too. I even kept one of the little McDonald's blue & white paper hats we used to wear when peeling the potatoes. But- most people here weren't even born back when each McD's peeled their own potatoes.
:D
Hey, $2.65 an hour was pretty good money.

I think I made more money there than I have with my OWSI, at least when adjusted for inflation.

hey josh, hope things are working out for you. I'm doing a lot of discover scuba and some odds and ends up in the D.C. area now. I have decided the only way to make a living as a diver is to work for yourself, You just cant count on an employer these days, in or out of the dive industry.

Haha Me too in 3 years Iv'e taught a total of 0 classes. On the other hand it got me the knowledge that I needed to better my self in the ways of employment. As I'm leaving the diving industry and moving towards the Captaining side of things. So 2 years on board wasn't a complete waste of time, built my seatime and gave me some sort of direction/goal to aim for.

hey josh, hope things are working out for you. I'm doing a lot of discover scuba and some odds and ends up in the D.C. area now. I have decided the only way to make a living as a diver is to work for yourself, You just cant count on an employer these days, in or out of the dive industry.

Yeah I agree. Best thing about being an Instructor are the traveling possibilities(Which I love!) It only took me about a week at my first job to realize if I taught I'd be broke forever.

Not so on the Nekton. Being the only US Flagged liveaboard working

Well, Doc, I think a whole bunch of us in California, Texas, and Florida are gonna take exception to this statement. Some of us can even sail foreign.

Frank

Cap10Randy said y'all were Texans. Does that count as U.S. ?

I did think about your ships, but I was considering more of the week-long excursion types.

But seriously, which other liveaboard boats are out there under the US Flag?

But seriously, which other liveaboard boats are out there under the US Flag?

Besides the Nekton boats... here are a few that I know of. I'm sure someone else can add a few others to the list.

The Fling out of Texas to the Flower Gardens
The Spree out of Key West area to the Tortugas out of key west area.
The Ultimate Getaway out of Ft Myers to the Tortugas.
The Playmate out of Key West to the Tortugas
The Easy Goin' (Paradise Charters) out of Ft Lauderdale area to the Bahamas.
the Gulf Stream Eagle out of Jupiter Beach, when she's running
the Dolphin Dream out of Jupiter Beach
Blue Iguana Charters out of Key Largo
The R/V Tiburon out of Key West.
The Great Escape to the Channel Islands in California
The Sand Dollar to the Channel Islands in California
Several other boats out of the LA area to the Channel Islands.

BlackBeards were US Flagged.... but not sure if they still are since they now depart from the Bahamas instead of the US.

Last edited:
Haha Me too in 3 years Iv'e taught a total of 0 classes. On the other hand it got me the knowledge that I needed to better my self in the ways of employment. As I'm leaving the diving industry and moving towards the Captaining side of things. So 2 years on board wasn't a complete waste of time, built my seatime and gave me some sort of direction/goal to aim for.

I guess I was in the right place at the right time. When I got on the Pilot none of the instructors wanted to teach because it was just an added duty and the commisions were not very good. I taught over 200 students (mostly AOW and specialties) during my first four years on the Pilot. Once I got my captain's license I hardly ever had an opportunity to teach.

Good luck on getting your ticket. You will find it will open a whole lot of doors for you and the pay is much better.

Besides the Nekton boats... here are a few that I know of. I'm sure someone else can add a few others to the list.

The Fling out of Texas to the Flower Gardens
The Spree out of Key West area to the Tortugas out of key west area.
The Ultimate Getaway out of Ft Myers to the Tortugas.
The Playmate out of Key West to the Tortugas
The Easy Goin' (Paradise Charters) out of Ft Lauderdale area to the Bahamas.
the Gulf Stream Eagle out of Jupiter Beach, when she's running
the Dolphin Dream out of Jupiter Beach
Blue Iguana Charters out of Key Largo
The R/V Tiburon out of Key West.
The Great Escape to the Channel Islands in California
The Sand Dollar to the Channel Islands in California
Several other boats out of the LA area to the Channel Islands.

BlackBeards were US Flagged.... but not sure if they still are since they now depart from the Bahamas instead of the US.

There are also several boats that run out of NY/NJ that do some of the wrecks (Andrea Doria, etc.), but I think Doc was talking about boats that cater to the recreational crowd looking for week long charters.

I don't know if Blackbeard's changed their flag, but I certainly understand their rationale for moving to the Bahamas as a home base. Dealing with US Customs and Immigration on a weekly basis has been very rough since 911.

There are also several boats that run out of NY/NJ that do some of the wrecks (Andrea Doria, etc.), but I think Doc was talking about boats that cater to the recreational crowd looking for week long charters.

yeah. I consider those more of a tech trip instead of a scheduled weekly recreational trip

I don't know if Blackbeard's changed their flag, but I certainly understand their rationale for moving to the Bahamas as a home base. Dealing with US Customs and Immigration on a weekly basis has been very rough since 911.

I'm sure that two weekly crossings of the gulf stream wear down on their boats also. And if they are Bahamian flagged, then that changes the costs on their boat tax, inspections, crew salary requirements, etc. can't say that I blame them.

Back
Top Bottom