The Passion inspired by Nekton Dive Cruises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a former employee of Nekton, I have to describe it as THE TOUGHEST JOB YOU'LL EVER LOVE. Despite lower wages, working 9 weeks on 3 weeks off and being in a zombie state for the later half of those 9 weeks, I still found myself working for Nekton on 3 different occasions, and to this day, is still my most memorable, challenging, and rewarding job I've had in my 8 years working on boats. Like I said, I've worked for them 3 different times.

Like every employer, there are pros and cons. With Nekton, the price may be a little bit higher, however there are more crew to assist you. On the crew side of that, it means more oportunities to catch breaks and naps as opposed to other jobs working 7am till 10pm straight. But then being dependent on tips, it means you're splitting the tips with more people.

Nekton is a unique dive company in many ways, in fact I consider the owner a visionary, who paved the way before other 'liveaboard' dive companies came along later. When Nekton was created, there was no other company like it to copy off of, so every step of they way was a step in which no dive industry had ever taken before. Now, add that with the task of building custom made boats, plus an operating cost for each boat with a crew of 10-11, and still manage to offer an affordable price to offer dive vacationers... Personally, I don't know many who have don that and still turn a small profit and stay in business for over 10 years.

Every diver, every vacationer, and every crewmember is different, and I think its great that we have a dive vacation industry that can offer such a diverse opportunity for both vacationers and us Mariners/Dive Instructors.

For the record, I am now a yacht captain, not affiliated with Nekton, but still have much respect and admiration for the vision and services of the company.

Nekton is a unique dive company in many ways, in fact I consider the owner a visionary, who paved the way before other 'liveaboard' dive companies came along later. When Nekton was created, there was no other company like it to copy off of, so every step of they way was a step in which no dive industry had ever taken before. Now, add that with the task of building custom made boats, plus an operating cost for each boat with a crew of 10-11, and still manage to offer an affordable price to offer dive vacationers... Personally, I don't know many who have don that and still turn a small profit and stay in business for over 10 years

Didn't Aggressor just celebrate it's 25th year of operation??

Hmm, how would the ownership business structure of the Aggressor fleet be different?

Franchise?

Hmm, how would the ownership business structure of the Aggressor fleet be different?

Franchise?

as far as I know.... (someone correct me if I'm wrong), the Nekton boats are owned by Nekton.

The Aggressor boats are owned by independent owners and operate as a franchise.

Aggressor operates the advertising, booking, and management and fills the boats. The Franchise operates the boats. However since Agressor collects the money and then pays the boats per slot, it seems like to me to be more of a "subcontracting" relationship.

You can even inquire about Aggressor "Franchise Opportunities" here http://www.aggressor.com/about_contact.php

EDIT: It appears that Nekton is interested in the "Franchise model" also. but I don't think they have any yet.... see http://www.nektoncruises.com/OurCompany/NektonFranchises/tabid/332/Default.aspx

Last edited:
Off the Nekton website: "A Nekton Franchise operation can be purchased for as little as two million dollars."

Ok, let's start a PayPal account for our own Nekton boat! What shall we name it?

as far as I know.... (someone correct me if I'm wrong), the Nekton boats are owned by Nekton.

The Aggressor boats are owned by independent owners and operate as a franchise.

The Aggressor boats are mostly or all franchise operations, although there was a rumor when Wayne Brown got involved, they were going to try to buy out a number of their franchisees. Not sure how far this ever got.

Anyone have any current info on this buyout effort??

Also for those who don't know, Wayne Brown owns the majority of both Aggressor and Peter Hughes operations. Although everyone in these ops denies it, it would make $$$ sense to merge the front office ops into a single office. Particularly in today's economy.

Although everyone in these ops denies it, it would make $$$ sense to merge the front office ops into a single office. Particularly in today's economy.

maybe they already have merged the offices and just haven't advertised it.

(yeah they might be in seperate office spaces/locations, but people could be doing jobs via computer/network each way. pretty common place in any business now days).

Back
Top Bottom