The PERFECT Dive Computer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes it makes sense to buy something to "grow into" and not have to rebuy, but I don't think that's usually true with dive computers. So if it's true you're looking for all the features you think you might want someday but won't use for quite awhile, instead consider buying a basic Nitrox capable computer now. Features go up, prices go down. and there's a good chance of spending too much on something that will be better and cheaper later, and/or you completely changing your mind about what you want. If you decide you want something fancy later you can always sell the old one if it's not useful to you as a backup or something.

The ScubaPro Galilleo does number 2....

:rofl3: there are some things you read that strike you "funny"..... (sorry, no help, but you put a smile on my face, and I just had to let you know)...

Wireless transmitters suck... Go with the Shearwater Predator.

I would never rely on a wireless, but they come in handy for tracking gas consumption via software. Maybe that's the intent?

What kind of algorithm are you looking for? I'd think that would one of my top 3 concerns.

While I'm not a tech diver and like the wireless AI for open water recreational diving, for tech diving it's not that useful and may be a negative. For one thing in an overhead environment the plastic transmitter is vulnerable to breakage, but also the gas planning say in a cave dive is much different.

The Air Time or Remaining Bottom Time is meaningless in a cave since you first have to find your way out before you can ascend. The assumption in Remaining Bottom Time is that at any time you can make a straight ascent to the surface. Cave divers preplan they're gas by the rule of thirds, which means you also have to know your deco stops before you start your dive. The whole paradigm is different. The only useful function for the AI in a technical dive is the display of tank pressure in one display, but at the cost of use of display real estate and and extra failure point.

Wireless transmitters are a convenience when you have wrist mount because you are not having to reach back and check your air since it is displayed. Also, it is great for recording your gas consumption on the computer software. For those 2 reasons alone, I love transmitters but still have an spg. Transmitters are nice and I like them but not a necessity. To each their own.

Back
Top Bottom