The Perfect Set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of my gear is "vintage" in fact or in philosophy. Back in the day, everything was much more streamlined. I have either continued to use vintage gear in original form or adapted to it. For example, the console is a US Divers type manufactured in 1970. The gauge is original US Divers 4000 psi, no fancy colors or diagrams, just a nice little SPG. The deco meter is a REACT, extremely compact and it has to be to fit in the console. The overall size of this console is 1/2 that of most currently manufactured although I notice that some OEM's like Aeris are copying this idea. The problem is that their gauge is 5000 psi scale which does not give the separation and readibility that the old one does.

My BC is the Seaquest Dimension 3 mfgt in 1994. This back inflate vest is so compact that it is not readily apparent that I am wearing a vest until inflated. Everything on this vest is minimal, no attachments or pockets and the inflator is streamlined and compact.

I could go on and on, my wetsuit is nylon inside and skin outside, 5 mm. It is custom made, identical to the suits worn by freedivers.

It is not the specifics that you need to inquire of but the philosophy. What type of diving experience do you pursue? I make 130 foot dives with only a single reg and single tank. I don't worry about stuff failing. Dive gear which is properly maintained is not likely to fail with catastrophic consequences provided the diver is not risk taking with deep deco and overhead situations on a consistent basis. For that, much bulkier and heavier gear is required, similar to a hardhat diver. What comes around goes around. Cousteau would not be amused, unless he was laughing on the way to the bank.

Philosophy is not style. However, form follows function. Do you intend to be an independent soul or a group think? Are you a rebel or a conformist. Are you timid or just normally cautious? Have you ever considered solo diving? Are you a double hassle, to yourself and your buddy? Can you dress yourself? I have a big buddy with one of those new fangled jumpsuits which he bought for about a hundred bucks. Although the suit is big enough to serve as a body bag for a horse it is not easy to don; rather it is not easy to secure. There is a back zipper and I am to whom this duty falls, the exhausting struggle to close that thing, all while sweating in my own suit. My suit is a classic "beavertail" and is self donning and doffing. Everything I use requires no assistance before or after the dive. It distills to one word, philosophy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom