The Phoenix - San Pedro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swheeler25

Registered
Reaction score
My mother and I will be travelling to Belize for the first time in late December and will be staying at the The Phoenix Restort. My mother and I have done extensive research on many of the hotels and dive shops, and The Phoenix resort was chosen. I would greatly appreciate any comments (good and bad) that anyone may have on the resort in regards to staff, location, accommodations, restaurants, types of guests, pros and cons of the grounds, etc. Any sort of advice or criticism you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I don't think any negative insight would necessarily change our mind as everything has been booked, but I welcome it as it may aid in how we go about things once we touch down in Belize.

Phoenix is an excellent well located condotel have not eaten at the restaurant but reviews I have read are good although pricey for dinner menu.

Only negative I can think of is it has no beach just a seawall path along the water otehr than that its tp knotch.

Gaz Cooper

I am currently staying at Paradise Villas which is immediately north of The Phoenix. Judging by the exterior, The Phoenix looks very high end. I have not seen one of the actual rooms but am thinking of checking them out for a future stay. As Gaz says, the menu is a bit on the pricey side but you are near several restaurants and delis (smaller eateries). I think you will really like being on the north end of town. You will be close to many restaurants and grocery stores but it will be quiet at night. As far as dive shops, you are a stone's throw away from Ecologic Divers (with whom I am diving now) and also close to Chuck and Robbie's as well as Amigos del Mar.

Only negative I can think of is it has no beach just a seawall path along the water otehr than that its tp knotch.

Unless I misunderstood, I was under the impression that ALL the resorts in San Pedro lack a beach and have a seawall instead. I was told there is nothing but seagrass in the waters right of the coast, which is why snorkeling off the resorts is not that great.

As far as dive shops, you are a stone's throw away from Ecologic Divers (with whom I am diving now) and also close to Chuck and Robbie's as well as Amigos del Mar.

It's good to know that we will be staying so close to many dive shops. Espcially ones that I have considered diving with such as Ecologic. Do you have any insight into their dive operation. I heard they use smaller boats which usually means smaller groups. However, I plan on diving every day I am in Belize, but I never saw any sort of packages offered on Ecologic's website as I did with other shops such as Aquadives. I can't image them not attempting to accomdate my requests as that would just loose them business, but do you know if the shop will help me set up dives to main attractions like the Blue Hole, Elbow, Hol Chan, as well as setting up Night dives and a few days of 3 tank dives for a package rate? Also, can I store my gear there for the week if I dive with them? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Swheeler

They will set up anything you want to do, dont' worry. Be sure to let them know you want to do the Blue Hole and Turneffe the moment you arrive so they can start getting a trip together as those trips dont go out every day and they need Minimum numbers to depart. as long as you let them know early they can schedule a trip later in your dive week.

No problem storing gear but as with everywhere at your own risk.

If you pay cash they will give you a discount for sure this time of year

Have a great trip

Gaz Cooper

It's good to know that we will be staying so close to many dive shops. Espcially ones that I have considered diving with such as Ecologic. Do you have any insight into their dive operation. I heard they use smaller boats which usually means smaller groups. However, I plan on diving every day I am in Belize, but I never saw any sort of packages offered on Ecologic's website as I did with other shops such as Aquadives. I can't image them not attempting to accomdate my requests as that would just loose them business, but do you know if the shop will help me set up dives to main attractions like the Blue Hole, Elbow, Hol Chan, as well as setting up Night dives and a few days of 3 tank dives for a package rate? Also, can I store my gear there for the week if I dive with them? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

As Gaz said, I believe all the shops will set you up for whatever trip you desire. However, please note that the shop you with which you are doing your regular dives may not actually do the trip itself. They may send you with another shop. But, yes, as Gaz said, let the shop know right away that you want to do a certain trip. For example, Ecologic does offer a trip up to the northern part of Ambergris (Basil Jones area) but they need a minimum of four to do it. So, three of us put our names on the list. We'll see what happens.

Also, I would not be concerned about packages. In fact, I wouldn't even book your diving in advance unless you feel personally comfortable with the shop. Last year, I decided to use Chuck and Robbie's in advance and it worked out well. This year, I e-mailed a few shops but waited until I arrived to meet with Ecologic and was pleased with what I saw. Dive shops are not "one size fits all" (at least from my perspective). So far Ecologic has worked out well for me. As far as packages, again they are fine if you know the shop and want to commit. But what if you change your mind? What if the weather doesn't cooperate? Your shop may not give a refund for unusued dives. I'd rather pay a few more dollars per dive to be able to have some flexibility to make changes. Yes, there is always a chance that the shop you want to dive with may be full at the time you want to go. But, from what I have seen thus far during this trip and from my trip last year, things work out.

As Gaz said, I believe all the shops will set you up for whatever trip you desire. However, please note that the shop you with which you are doing your regular dives may not actually do the trip itself. They may send you with another shop. But, yes, as Gaz said, let the shop know right away that you want to do a certain trip. For example, Ecologic does offer a trip up to the northern part of Ambergris (Basil Jones area) but they need a minimum of four to do it. So, three of us put our names on the list. We'll see what happens.

Also, I would not be concerned about packages. In fact, I wouldn't even book your diving in advance unless you feel personally comfortable with the shop. Last year, I decided to use Chuck and Robbie's in advance and it worked out well. This year, I e-mailed a few shops but waited until I arrived to meet with Ecologic and was pleased with what I saw. Dive shops are not "one size fits all" (at least from my perspective). So far Ecologic has worked out well for me. As far as packages, again they are fine if you know the shop and want to commit. But what if you change your mind? What if the weather doesn't cooperate? Your shop may not give a refund for unusued dives. I'd rather pay a few more dollars per dive to be able to have some flexibility to make changes. Yes, there is always a chance that the shop you want to dive with may be full at the time you want to go. But, from what I have seen thus far during this trip and from my trip last year, things work out.

So are you basically walking into the shop every morning and simply asking where they are going? Or did you book a few dives here and a few dives there when you first walked into the shop?

Unless I misunderstood, I was under the impression that ALL the resorts in San Pedro lack a beach and have a seawall instead. I was told there is nothing but seagrass in the waters right of the coast, which is why snorkeling off the resorts is not that great.

Wheeler there are several resorts with very nice beaches such as ramons village Banyan Bay each of those have swimmable beaches most other have a sandy beach but when walking out to sea its stays very shallow with turtle grass and most are not swimmable until you get out about 150ft or so which is why most swimming is done from the docks .

Phoenix has literally no beach its just a beach path about 15ft wide from there property lione with 4ft concrete seawall walkway. No biggie anyway they have a beautiful pool and if you want to hang out on a beach just head down to ramons.

Gaz

So are you basically walking into the shop every morning and simply asking where they are going? Or did you book a few dives here and a few dives there when you first walked into the shop?

The way dive centers here operate when running local dives (dives on the local section of the Meso-American Barrier Reef) is to decide where to go on the morning, bearing in mind the weather and sea conditions and divers' preferences (most people don't want to dive a spot they've already dived, though I don't adhere to that view). Exceptionally they may plan a trip some miles north or south to go to a particular area, but as a rule you neither know nor can specify the actual sites you'll go to until the boat is about to leave. It differs from Cozumel and many other diving areas in this respect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom