The power of forums, internet & suicide of a dive operator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almitywife

Vegemite Mod
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
not a diving incident but a reminder to us about the power of the internet

this is swansea - news, entertainment, jobs, homes and cars

A Suicidal man took his own life after being bombarded with hundreds of emails urging him to do it.Deep-sea diving expert Steven Carmichael-Timson gassed himself in his garden shed.

He had secretly visited a number of internet suicide sites before taking his own life.

An inquest into the 49-year-old's death heard how his diving business had been ruined by an email smear campaign against him.

Carmarthenshire coroner John Owen said: "He killed himself while the balance of his mind was disturbed by messages he had received on his computer, including those from a suicide website encouraging him to kill himself."

Mr Carmichael-Timson's widow, Karen, told the inquest how she discovered the terrible truth about her husband's death when she received a malicious email on the eve of his funeral.

She then found a total of 700 emails on her husband's computer, all offering advice on suicide and encouraging him to kill himself.

Mr Carmichael-Timson's problems began in January when he returned from a visit to Scapa Flow, off the north-east coast of Scotland.

While he had been away an attack on an online forum linked to his business spread malicious and unfounded rumours about him.

Mrs Carmichael-Timson told the inquest: "The content of the messages were vile and caused the destruction of his reputation, and consequently the business he had built."

She said at least 4,000 people had viewed the malicious rumours and the information had been spread to other websites.

She said that after the destruction of his business, her husband's moods fluctuated between "depression and rage".

She was unaware at the time, however, that he was looking at suicide websites.

On February 9, Mr Carmichael-Timson, of Clos Glas, Whitemill, Carmarthen, received an email that "expressed delight in the destruction of his business and threatened him with bankruptcy".

He then contacted a suicide site, telling users that he intended to kill himself and asking for advice.

Just over three weeks later, on March 2, he took his own life. Mrs Carmichael-Timson said: "I firmly believe he would have found the strength to rebuild his life if he had found a different sort of suicide support."

After the inquest she spoke of her anguish and devastation at the way her husband had been driven to suicide.

She said she had printed out and passed on all the emails to the police who were examining them to see whether there was a case to prosecute.

"If these had been handwritten and sent through the post, the people responsible would have been brought before a court," she said. "But these emails came from all over, one was from Germany, which makes things much more difficult."

Mr Carmichael-Timson had been renowned for his research into Second World War wrecks, and was known as a wreck-hunter and underwater videographer. She said she felt he was on the brink of becoming even more successful after clinching a lucrative contract to train divers in the Red Sea, which was subsequently lost.

She said: "I have been left absolutely devastated by his death.

"Discovering those emails and learning the truth of what happened was sickening."

Wow.

That's pretty intense and sad.

I do feel, if he was willing to take his own life, there were some other issues that were not dealt with. Not to say that getting hammered like that over the Internet wouldn't cause you to be distraught and depressed. I just think there are more emotional issues in a situation like this than just the situation at hand.

But yes, the Internet is a very powerful tool. It can be used in both constructive and destructive ways.

:zen:

I had a few emails with Steve, before the smear campaign started. He seemed like a very decent, hard working, and dedicated person.

He was considering a trip to my part of the world for some time in teh future, after his latest trip, which I believe was the one discussed here.

He'll be missed, and we can only hope that those responsible for, and supportive of, his death can be dealt with properly. I only hope the laws can keep up with the changes in technology.

This kind of thing seems to be becoming more prevalent these days and it is a truly disturbing phenomenon. Most people are quite surprised about the suicide rates of teenagers these days and it's no wonder if there are sites like these littering the Internet and one considers just how "connected" we are, much less our children, today. Yet one more reason why I advocate that parents implement strict controls and exercise prudent judgment about their kids' Internet use.

In this case it may have been an adult but it appears that his depression made him just as vulnerable and it's so sad that he felt there was no other place/person to turn to for support. I'm sure that he would have received a lot of support had he turned to his wife or someone close but it just goes to show that, like Hamlet said: "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." I believe that suicide is a survival mechanism - people only consciously "go there" if they feel they cannot survive whatever they are facing in life anymore. They might believe that death provides them with an escape from their tortured life and would allow them to enter either a state of peace and quiet, or perhaps even oblivion - just as long as the pain stops. Reality probably was very different to what he must have thought it was to take his own life. We might not agree or even understand the logic behind his actions but it does make me hope that I would be awake and fortunate enough to see it if/when this demon of depression is afflicting someone close to me, so I can be more of a support to them, even though they might think it does not exist.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

How sad. While I believe information should be freely available, it is cases like this where I wonder if that is such a good idea. I recently had to speak with my administration about a student looking up similar websites in class...it was very scary. I am a huge advocate of computers being out in a main area of the house where Internet use can be monitored more easily.

I feel terrible that people get to such a point that they feel no way out. People can be so cruel, especially with the cover of the Internet... I'm sure it makes it easy for some to say some really malicious stuff.

This is truly sad and most likely a preventable death. There is a stigma attached to having mental illness and many times will prevent people from seeking help. Many times, you don't know what's wrong so you can't get it treated.

I hope whoever decided to ruin this guy's life had facts to back up his claims. I believe in letting people know if it's a bad or unsafe operation. I don't know the facts about what happened. They worst thing about the internet is that it gives people power they would never have in real life. Anonymity gives them the ability to spread lies with inpunity.

Condolences to the widow....:shakehead:

Wow... this is truly sad. Having been clinically depressed a few decades ago, and suicidal for 8 months, I understand the power of chemical imbalances in one's brain. Mine stemmed from a business failure as well (although not my business). I'm glad I sought professional help.

drbill,

Indeed glad you souhgt help,Lost a very good friend on this a few years ago.
He aswell went for proffesional help but alas it did NOT work out.He found his place in the longest dive he could ever make.The depresed people can some times be helped and sometimes they can't.
Just happy that I can vent my problem again.
Please don't forget that those who are left behind,have permanent problems.
I'm not even sure how I want to vent my feelings on this.It's been 5 years now and I still don't believe or understand it.
Just had to vent this again.

I hope whoever decided to ruin this guy's life had facts to back up his claims. I believe in letting people know if it's a bad or unsafe operation. I don't know the facts about what happened. They worst thing about the internet is that it gives people power they would never have in real life. Anonymity gives them the ability to spread lies with inpunity.

Condolences to the widow....:shakehead:

Yes, it is truly sad...Googling yielded this background from his widow (among other things):

Yahoo! Groups

One of his videos YouTube - Sunderland T9044 Pembroke Dock

Condolences to family and friends.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom