The POWERS THAT BE!!!! Please READ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have thought of taking the DIR class in July at my local quarry! However, at my current dive level, I feel gaining experience is more important. Besides, I am very comfortable with my gear setup as it is....although, the idea of a long octo is appealing, but I like my BC and every other thing. :)

jepuskar once bubbled...
This is exactly why DIR/GUE needs its own section!

Jep,

How would this work? What, for instance, if someone is asking about buying a new set of fins? The discussion starts, people make recommendations, and then 10 posts in, after deciding on a pair of splitfins, the original poster says "BTW, I am planning on taking a Fundamentals course later in the year...I hope these fins won't be a problem."

Should this thread now be hacked and relocated to a DIR section simply because someone asked a tangential question about DIR/GUE in a thread that was primarily devoted to equipment?

I'm not suggesting you're wrong...heck, based on recent trends in Scubaboard, I'm all for a little segregation of different groups, I am just wondering how practical your suggestion is.

BTW, you DO remember that huge poll that someone started about this, right? There were like 1000000 responses and probably is a better layout of all the various arguments for and against.

jepuskar once bubbled...
I have thought of taking the DIR class in July at my local quarry! However, at my current dive level, I feel gaining experience is more important.

Jason if I might suggest another way of thinking about it....

If you ever plan to take it, the best time is soonest so you have fewer bad diving habits to break.

WW

you are getting so subtle it is amazing...I know, I know, it wasn't your intention...

Anyhow...I'm over here laughing because I can't believe how some people get so completely bent out of shape over what they "think" they are reading...Medic13, Diveasaurus...smile, you've just been caught on "Scubaboard Troll Fest 2003".

Just to sum-up...the little winky guy:wink: means read what I just said as a subtle joke.

My 2 cents...when I started diving I'd never heard of DIR/GUE/Halcyon/BP/Wing etc. I discovered them and the philosophy on this board and by adapting the techniques, dive planning and piece by piece the gear configuration, my diving has become much better. Again, I find much more outright hostility on the other side...one side says "have you tried" the other side flips into "rage" mode and starts name calling. Come-on, grow-up, the day you stop learning is the day you might as well hang it all up. Have you actually seen the way these guys dive? Wow...seriously amazing skills, I'd love to look that effortless in the water, I'll learn whatever I can to get to that level. I find that the "DIR crowd" at least on this board and in person are open, friendly and eager to share, not zealous and condescending. If you want to banish all mention of DIR and it's tenants to one section of the board then you may as well toss PADI and NAUI and YMCA etc. etc. their own sections as well. They we can all set-up our little camps and throw darts at each other from afar.

Stupid idea (no little smiley guy)

Brian

jepuskar once bubbled...
I have thought of taking the DIR class in July at my local quarry! However, at my current dive level, I feel gaining experience is more important. Besides, I am very comfortable with my gear setup as it is....although, the idea of a long octo is appealing, but I like my BC and every other thing. :)
If you look at it, it is really a small investment to make considering all the benefits and fun you can have lording it over others. Imagine how smug you could act at your usual dive spots when you see the usual suspects stroll up!

I'm not aware of training standards for SSI, NAUI, The Village People, or GUE for that matter....I am a PADI crony.

However, I think PADI lays out a good foundation, but people need to take it upon themselves to learn more and dive more. Is DIR bad? Probably not, but I will refuse to change my gear setup to cohere to someone's elses opinion of what is RIGHT. Now, if Tyler Moon tells me I can come to Haigh Quarry at the end of July with my current setup...maybe I front the $300.00 as it will be a learning experience...I'll even opt to get a long octo hose. But right now, I don't see the need to buy anything else.....I just don't take it that seriously.

Maybe I'll contact him and find out what he says...or maybe Mr. Ferrara can answer.

from what I hear they want you to bring your equipment so they may suggest any good changes to them !!
I may be wrong but thats what i understood
all though I am looking into a set of wings , Harness, backplate ect !!!
just confused about so many types of different equipment
I like the dive right trans-pac 11 but just not sure about which wings ect mainly single but want the double capability for deeper wrecks !!!!!!!!!!!

A few points.

There's no reason to bring a disagreement over diving issues to a personal level.

There's no reason to resort to name calling. There are times all of us are tempted, but we need to refrain.

There's no way DIR can be placed in it's own forum. DIR is one of many legitimate approaches to diving. When a question is asked, a DIR approach is often one way to answer the question. It is not the only way. Banning all mention of DIR to one forum would be a disservice to all our members.

There are honors students at Harvard, Yale, MIT, etc. Remember what happens when we assume.

jepuskar once bubbled...
your farts must smell like flowers,

Opps, that puts me out!! :D

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom