The problem with dive trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brutus_scuba:
I"m available to take your spot on the vacation if worst comes to worst.

LOL, it may come to that.

Thankfully I took the insurance option. I have to call and see how that effects my buddy though. He could still dive with the rest of the group if he wants to still go.

When I travel south, particularly in the winter, I have a bad habit of getting sick. I rarely get sick otherwise and in any case, it was never a problem until I started diving, because it would just be the sniffles.

When we've travelling to Mexico or Florida to dive, I really didn't want to have to thumb even a single dive because I couldn't clear. So I started taking Cold-fX a few weeks before the trip and I've been fine.

Of course, it doesn't help you now! But maybe for the next time. Of course, I have no idea if this stuff actually works...

Amberjack:
When I travel south, particularly in the winter, I have a bad habit of getting sick. I rarely get sick otherwise and in any case, it was never a problem until I started diving, because it would just be the sniffles.

When we've travelling to Mexico or Florida to dive, I really didn't want to have to thumb even a single dive because I couldn't clear. So I started taking Cold-fX a few weeks before the trip and I've been fine.

Of course, it doesn't help you now! But maybe for the next time. Of course, I have no idea if this stuff actually works...

I usually start taking real good care of myself the month before a trip to be sure and normally that works but in my line of work I am near people all the time so no telling what they are bringing in with them. I do all the precautions, wash the hands etc but sometimes you just can not do anything about it.

Thanks for the reply

Feel better Scott!
Try dosing yourself with Cold FX. I caught a cold 2yrs ago 1 week before spending Christmas in the Dominican. Cold FX, garlic caplets, and B complex vitamins cleared it right up. And some NyQuil at night for good measure, it'll make sure you go comatose for a good 8 hours!

melissassm:
Feel better Scott!
Try dosing yourself with Cold FX. I caught a cold 2yrs ago 1 week before spending Christmas in the Dominican. Cold FX, garlic caplets, and B complex vitamins cleared it right up. And some NyQuil at night for good measure, it'll make sure you go comatose for a good 8 hours!

I'm going to head for the drug store now and see if they have the cold fx. I have until tomorrow to make a decision so hopefully I am feeling better by then.

Thanks

Scott M:
Chances are I will be OK, but if not it's a boring week and I would not want to get the rest of the group sick being around me. Tough decision to make. Maybe tomorrow I'll feel bette.

Look at it this way, if you can't go diving, Belize has some world class bonefishing you can sample. You hook one of those and I guarantee you won't be bored.

Scott.........here's my two cents. you may have heard in recent years about zinc shortening the duration/lessening the symptoms of a cold. there's a brand called Zi-cam........they make several cold related products......but the one i'm gonna tell you about is Zi-Cam, no drip nasal gel cold remedy. if you think this is a viral thing, and you're about to come down with a cold......get this product. the cold virus multiplies in the lower part of your nose, and this gel containing zinc prevents or greatly slows the multiplication of the virus. at the very first "tickle" or "sneeze" that seems like a cold may be trying to start on me, i use this stuff 2-3 times that day, and by the next day i've totally kicked it and don't come down with the cold!!!! i swear, it's that effective!! it's a lifesaver. my two daughters have used it and it worked for them as well and they didn't get sick. if on the second day i still feel like i'm battling it, then i continue use for another day. you can use it up to every 4 hours. they sell it at wal-mart. make sure you get the nasal gel, as they have several other products. i keep this stuff in my purse now. and i can't even tell you when i've actually come down with a cold anymore. good luck!!!!!

ZzzKing:
Look at it this way, if you can't go diving, Belize has some world class bonefishing you can sample. You hook one of those and I guarantee you won't be bored.

I suppose I could get a day or two of fishing in and hope to be better to dive a bit.

Thanks

donnad:
Scott.........here's my two cents. you may have heard in recent years about zinc shortening the duration/lessening the symptoms of a cold. there's a brand called Zi-cam........they make several cold related products......but the one i'm gonna tell you about is Zi-Cam, no drip nasal gel cold remedy. if you think this is a viral thing, and you're about to come down with a cold......get this product. the cold virus multiplies in the lower part of your nose, and this gel containing zinc prevents or greatly slows the multiplication of the virus. at the very first "tickle" or "sneeze" that seems like a cold may be trying to start on me, i use this stuff 2-3 times that day, and by the next day i've totally kicked it and don't come down with the cold!!!! i swear, it's that effective!! it's a lifesaver. my two daughters have used it and it worked for them as well and they didn't get sick. if on the second day i still feel like i'm battling it, then i continue use for another day. you can use it up to every 4 hours. they sell it at wal-mart. make sure you get the nasal gel, as they have several other products. i keep this stuff in my purse now. and i can't even tell you when i've actually come down with a cold anymore. good luck!!!!!

Worth a shot. I picked up the cold FX which appears to be a suupliment so not really a drug. No harm there.

In the past I have been able to mitigate the effects by taking GNC megaman vitamins, lots of orange jiuce, rest and cold eeeze cough drops but even with that I would have some sinus issues that would rpevent diving.

If I keep this up I'm going to have quite a cocktail going. LOL.
Thanks

This is still the sadest thing I've read all day... we're going to have a candel light vigil for your vacation tonight. Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom