The problem with dive trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brutus_scuba:
This is still the sadest thing I've read all day... we're going to have a candel light vigil for your vacation tonight. Good luck

LOL. I've still got my fingers and toes crossed I get better overnight. Now theres the definition of an optamist.

Scott M:
Ya, I thought I could get ahead of it before it turned for the worst. I am still hopefull that it will clear by tomorrow but it's not looking good.

We are staying @ Belizeanshores over on Ambergris Caye. It looks like a great place but I wouldn't want to be there for a week if I'm not diving.

Thanks

You mean you'd rather be in New York than be on the white sand beach (I just was by Belizean Shores yesterday) in 87 degree, sunny, breezy tropical conditions? This is serious and this cold/flu has gone to your head and reeeeeeallly screwed up your brain. You better get a serious checkup before you make the trip here. :D
but seriously, I rarely, if ever, get a bug that lasts more than a week. You'll be fine by at least Monday or so. Go for it and stop worrying.

Hank49:
You mean you'd rather be in New York than be on the white sand beach (I just was by Belizean Shores yesterday) in 87 degree, sunny, breezy tropical conditions? This is serious and this cold/flu has gone to your head and reeeeeeallly screwed up your brain. You better get a serious checkup before you make the trip here. :D
but seriously, I rarely, if ever, get a bug that lasts more than a week. You'll be fine by at least Monday or so. Go for it and stop worrying.

I know sounds dumb huh? Well I'm a "have to be on the go" all the time type of guy. Sitting on a beach alone waiting for the buddies to get from what I should be doing just sounds like torture to me. If this was a family trip then this would not even be an issue, I'm there.

Note to self; schedule CAT scan.

I agree with several posters, get it all, along with some nasal spray and some sudafed and anything else that might work. Tell that cold who's boss. Once you get there you'll start feeling better.

I agree with Donnad -- she is right on the money: Since it sounds viral, get something that inhibits thems replication. I have used Zycam (tiny tube of gel) and Zinc Lozenges for quite a while. The cold does not go away, but this regime started soon enough seems to have clinical backing that the duration and the severity of symptoms are cut upwards of 60%. My Personal experience is just that: Shorter cold and less icky symptoms.

Good advise from all,

I'm hoping I have caught it in time and some rest will help. I've talked to all the guys tonight and they are all of the same mind that I should go. We do not dive until Sunday so that gives me two more days to kick this thing and worse comes to worse I don't dive until Monday/Tuesday. Maybe I'll get a script for some nasonex or similar in case the sinuses kick in. As of right now they have not and I've had this since Sunday/Monday so maybe I will luck out in that respect.

Thanks for all the help

Ok, got up this morning feeling a little better maybe not a lot but not worse so thats good. The Sinuses are still clear also. I talked to the boys last night and they all think I should go and if not better by Sunday skip a day or two of diving.I think thats a good idea. The sunshie and warm weather should be a great help also.

So I am going!!

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and support, a full report will be fourth coming as soon as I return.

I DO take antibiotics to foreign locales though...just in case. Getting a secondary infection in a remote place sometimes requires some guesswork.

Sometimes you cannot really get a doctor easily. I have my stash....yes, and a bit of self diagnosing which is less than ideal but better than what I get in some places on an emergent basis.

TSand can't be everywhere. Assuming you will get a TSandM in the ER where you are going can be a big miscalculation.

This last trip, I took Cipro with me because I was getting wigged out about all the stories of wound infections in places like Indo where the sewage is dumped directly into the ocean. I hear quite a bit from the surfers and even some docs here that say you should take some antibiotics along.

I understand about resistant bacteria and the problem indiscriminate prescribing....sometimes I wonder if it has gone too far the other way though? I see kids screaming with ear infections, having lots of pain, kids with sore throats and doctors refusing to take the tonsils out. My son has ear tubes and I have been to antibiotic hell and back.....

Feel better Scott! I agree with Hank. Based on no science whatsoever, I think the sun is very healing. Bake yourself a bit. Even the salt water of a good ocean swim flushing your sinuses always seems to turn me around.

And endorphins!...not to be underrated.

catherine96821:
I DO take antibiotics to foreign locales though...just in case. Getting a secondary infection in a remote place sometimes requires some guesswork.

Sometimes you cannot really get a doctor easily. I have my stash....yes, and a bit of self diagnosing which is less than ideal but better than what I get in some places on an emergent basis.

Feel better Scott! I agree with Hank. Based on no science whatsoever, I think the sun is very healing. Bake yourself a bit. Even the salt water of a good ocean swim flushing your sinuses always seems to turn me around.

And if you forget to bring antobiotics, just go to any pharmacy and you can get some. And US doctors would say it's crazy, but the local working there will tell you what the doctors are prescribing for what....It's worked for me so far. It's a bit more lax here in that regard. I had a lot of swollen lymph glands in my groin once from a lot of little barnacle cuts on my feet. This Cuban doctor who I knew who just happened to be in the store too, took me back by the shoe aisle in the local grocery store and said, "drop your pants". He took a look. told me what to get and I walked up and got some....amoxycyline I believe, with no prescription.
You can get blood pressure medicine, codeine, .....lots of goodies over the counter. So, even if you're still sick when you get here, at least you'll feed goooood. :D

Back
Top Bottom