The proper way to shoot a surface marker buoy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think cave instructors in general are awesomely anal retentive about trim and buoyancy...can't get way with the silly stuff we do in wrecks in those places. Still waiting on the funds for a revo class with Jim.

Which is great; but accepting a 2' bag as the "proper way" to do things because pretty...not so great. Different priorities, I suppose, which brings me back to my joke about H making that silly 3.3' microsausage...seemingly just for people who need to pass Fundies.

I've been told to not put your finger (thumb in this case) in the spool when it is unwinding, but to cup it in your palm.

+1, in addition it seems a bit dangerous how he is shooting that bag from somewhere behind his ear, and passing the still-unrolling line at an inch distance in front of his mask form side to side, easy to get caught on a mask strap or something... I have been told that you keep the spool and the bag in arms extended away from your body, to minimize the risk of entanglement. I also do not get the obsession for horizontal trim when shooting a bag, it just makes it uncomfortable and/or easier for the line to snag on something.

I agree with those saying the marker buoy needs to be full on the surface. The whole point of these is visibility and a half inflated buoy isn't doing it's job properly. I'd have added second breath into the DSMB if less than 20m deep or thereabouts. For the same reason I like to shoot the buoy as early in the ascent as practical - Boyles law helps ensure a nice firm erection.

Why not just fill it full?

The excess will expand out the open end on the way up.

Mike

One size does not fit all. A little common sense analyzing the situation is in order.

If you have been meandering all over the bottom for two hours and the current is up then blowing a 6' bag standing at attention is a good idea when you have 30 minutes plus deco go complete. Calm waters and a 5 minute safety stop and you could not even bother or put a puff in the bag and let it lay down on the surface.

You use the little breath so you can easily un-deploy the bag and then do it over when practicing. The guy in the video is obviously practicing, or demonstrating. He probably had other things to do beside swim around with a full SMB.

You use the little breath so you can easily un-deploy the bag and then do it over when practicing. The guy in the video is obviously practicing, or demonstrating. He probably had other things to do beside swim around with a full SMB.

Not necessary for easily un-deploy. In some class, you can be required to be air sharing with a buddy, deply SMB while maintaining trim and buoyancy at 30ft of water. Blowing enough air to fill a 6' SMB isn't a easily task under those condition

Yes, but that scenario isn't applicable to the guy in the video.

---------- Post added August 14th, 2014 at 07:03 PM ----------

Me and my sausage:
images

Last edited:
Nice video, no big deal, but, the SMB and reel are already out and ready from wherever they are stored, reel is alreaday attached to the bag, and....it's a baby breath. It's not always quite that easy in real life and when it matters

What isn't being mentioned is that a full SMB, especially a big one (I use a 6') isn't going to stick up in the air unless you hang on the line pretty hard, most of the time from the surface they are seen lying flat. Personally, I find it more relaxing to ascend with a small amount of tension on the line than pulling down hard on it.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom