The question is AI or not to AI, that's the question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can afford it, get a hoseless (wireless) Air Integrated computer with a nice large display....

(you asked for an opinion... )

I appreciate everyone on here, they have been so helpful. So the main question use AI or not?

IMO,

If budget is an issue you can certainly do without it. You have all of the integration you need between your ears. I you already own all you want then read on.

Eliminating a hose in the name of streamlining will do nothing to make you a better diver or dive better.

Putting electronics between your cylinder contents and your eyeballs will never be as reliable as a a conventional gauge.

If you go wireless then you now have a transmitter and receiver element so that increases the failure rate.

If you don't trust the integration between your ears or are a gadget junkie then a hose mounted integrated computer is an OK compromise.

Pete

It's just like everything else. Consider the additional advantages (fewer hoses, calculated air time remaining during the dive) versus the disadvantages (another component to fail). Decide whether the opportunity for fail and the consequenses outway the benefits.

I don't dive overhead, but do dive technical with AI. I do understand the issues, and as with any equipment failure, it will cause me to call the dive if the link/xmtr fails. Yes, I wouldn't have the knowledge of how much air is showing in the tank, but since I do the full pre-dive calculations of air usage along with my deco tables, not knowing the air remaining as I finish my ascent and deco schedule should be academic.

My position? You can't live your life avoiding any potential for failure. Just be prepared to accept the added resposibilities for using the added equipment/technology. Any time you don't take into consideration the potential for equipment failure you'd be setting yourself up for problems, whether that's AI, Air2, slinging a bottle, using a long hose, or changing BC type.

I went for a more streamline presence in the water with an AI pc and use an AirLink on my LP hose vs an addtional hose for an Octo.

It comes down to you comfort with technology and willingness to perform upkeep.

Just a quick note on AI reliability. If you check posts, they are extremely reliable. I have used UWATEC for the past few years without incident, including using high powered strobes. That said, I still have a small back-up analog gauge.

Also, on a dive last week my dive buddy's non-AI computer filled with water. Looks like baggage handlers were a bit rough with equipment on the last return flight from Thailand.

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom