the spiegel grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks guys, I am sure we will see current, better vis, and much warmer waters, the warmest we dove local was 58ish(at depth) and coldest at 45(85feet). No need to make a sand castle, I can do that on the beach, being a big guy i get 25 minutes out of my 80 on a shallow dive. I would guess I would get one tower of my sand castle built. LOL

WE have AOW so sounds like we are all good to go.

The Grove is a fairly easy wreck but the "I get 25 minutes out of an 80 in shallow water" comment gives me some concern. If you really do only get 25 minutes in 30ish feet of water then your bottom time even at the deck is going to be a very short dive, maybe 10 minutes at best. You really should be getting at least 45 to 60 minutes at 30ish feet on an 80. If not, you have other issues and being "big" is not the major problem. I have a dive buddy that is 6'4 250+ and he can easily get 75+ minutes out of an 80 at 40 ft. I am not trying to be rude or judgemental but diving deep with SACs that high are begging for an OOA. Do a few shallow reef dives and see what your time on an 80 is. If it's not at least 45-50 minutes then you need to figure out way and solve the problem before going deep.

I think part of it, is I still tend to huff and buff to much, this is why I plan on buying 2 130s this summer, my sac really depends on what I am doing, I have had a few dives to 40 feet where I just swam around and relaxed, on our wreck intro I got 40 minutes of an al80, I am sure it will go up the more I dive, when i did my OW dives I got 25to 30 minutes out of a steel 120.

The Spiegel can is a great wreck dive. I have been there many times. first as an AOW diver when she still lay on her side, then as an beginning technical diver and finally as a rebreather diver. There's lots to see at all levels.
As others have said there can be very strong current on the line and the wreck. So be aware that current means more exertion which means you use gas faster. It also appears this will be your deepest dive to date, so that too is going to add some excitement and elevated sac rate. There is plenty to see in the upper decks for your first trip to her. As far as penetration there are some areas that are basic swim throughs meaning you can see all the way through from entry to exit with ambient light, that i feel is appropriate. But it is big wreck and penetration beyond a swim through at your level it not recommended. I'm not one of those chicken little, oh your going to die, kind of people but the truth is penetration of this wreck has claimed lives before and i am sure will again.
There are multiple mooring balls. Pay attention to the line you go down, what it looks like at the point where it attaches to the wreck. But also remember if you are low on gas and at a line but not your line...go up. Better to go up a different line with gas than try to get back to your line, perhaps in strong current, and have an OOA emergency.
If you take anything away from this it is Watch Your Gas! With the depth, the current, the excitement, and your limited experience it would be entirely possible to blow through your gas in a very short period of time. The wreck will be there and you can always go back for more dives on her. Don't push your limits your first time there.
Have fun but be safe.
kim

Yes what he said. Use the line for ascent (use any line if you are low on gas). You don't want to be blown off the wreck ascending during OOG emergency.

thanks guys, on the way to our lds to trade in our old alloy tanks fro 240 in store credit(3 tanks) :D

We talked about it, dad wants and I agree, to do a few shallow reef/shallow wreck dives and plan for the grove toward the end of feb when I get my 130s.

Work through Bob's gas management article: NWGratefulDiver.com

It's worth mentioning that your gas consumption will be much less in warmer water than it is in cold, dark water. From an AL80, I usually go about 45 minutes for 30' in Monterey (50F, 7mm). In Key Largo (80F, rashguard), I was going 70 minutes or so. My deep wreck dives were 25-35 minutes (depth ranged 80-110'), although keep in mind that around 10 minutes of those was either ascending or descending.

I would get a pony bottle (c30 ) with the SAC rate you have explaned . You can never have to much air. yOU DO not want to run out of air at thoughs depths . If you do get a pony do not use the air supply in your dive plane , it is there ONLY for an OOA situation. You will realy injoy the SG. THER IS SO MUCH TO EXPLORE !!!

The Speigal Grove is a must do dive in Key Largo. But hearing your SAC rate you might think about doing several reef dives to work on you SAC so you can enjoy the Grove better....

thanks guys, on the way to our lds to trade in our old alloy tanks fro 240 in store credit(3 tanks) :D

We talked about it, dad wants and I agree, to do a few shallow reef/shallow wreck dives and plan for the grove toward the end of feb when I get my 130s.

Some shops (like Silent World) will have larger tanks available for rent as well.

I love the SG. But my favorite is the Duane. There are many wrecks in that area to work through.
Now, about your breathing. Quite often, I find newer divers taking long big breaths in and then huge breaths out. You blow through air quickly that way. I tell my students to think about how they normally breathe every day. It is not huge bellowing breaths. It is normal, easy breaths. As soon as you learn to breath easy and regularly, your consumption will drastically improve. So, before you just fix the problem by loading up the air on your back, try to control and fix your breathing. Do the reefs and relax for a little bit. Then the extra air will mean more bottom time. And in the Keys, every second is worth it. Oh, and Conch Republic is terrific.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom