The Sweet Life on Molasses Reef & Upper Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY
EAST TO SOUTHEAST WINDS NEAR 10 KNOTS.
SEAS AROUND 1 FOOT. NEARSHORE WATERS SMOOTH. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND
ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

THURSDAY AND FRIDAY
EAST TO SOUTHEAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS
AROUND 1 FOOT. NEARSHORE WATERS MOSTLY SMOOTH. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND
ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
looks like a great week

just returned from the 2nd day of a six day full(22 divers) boat charter with ocean divers. yesterday a double on molasses(winch hole/fire coral caves), mdt current, blue/green water, viz 30-40-FT. today 1st dive: snapper ledge, zero current, viz 35-40FT,(4 nurse sharks and of course very fishy)seas 1-2ft early subsiding to about 1 ft on the way in. 2nd; benwood, again no current, green and 35-40FT viz, observed a few large groupers @ the dropoff 70-80FT. captain lou advised us, no current and 40-50FT on molasses this AM. tomorrow, hopefully, the aquarius underwater habitat @ conch. i'll try and squeeze a few photos from my fellow divers for tomorrow(or from tim when he dove it in june with OD). and yes this week started well and looks good thru friday,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

just returned from the 2nd day of a six day full(22 divers) boat charter with ocean divers. yesterday a double on molasses(winch hole/fire coral caves), mdt current, blue/green water, viz 30-40-FT. today 1st dive: snapper ledge, zero current, viz 35-40FT,(4 nurse sharks and of course very fishy)seas 1-2ft early subsiding to about 1 ft on the way in. 2nd; benwood, again no current, green and 35-40FT viz, observed a few large groupers @ the dropoff 70-80FT. captain lou advised us, no current and 40-50FT on molasses this AM. tomorrow, hopefully, the aquarius underwater habitat @ conch. i'll try and squeeze a few photos from my fellow divers for tomorrow(or from tim when he dove it in june with OD). and yes this week started well and looks good thru friday,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

What happened to your boat?

What happened to your boat?
I think he is diving with Stephen Frink's class this week.

Today on Molasses Reef, we dove Eagle Ray Alley and swam over to the Winch, Then we went Spanish Anchor and swam over to Aquarium. So many fish just hanging out under the boat at Eagle Ray Alley, and huge school of midnight parrots swarmed us at the Aquarium. Temp 86, wind very mild, seas very mild, but there was some current and viz 50 ft or so was a bit milky. And we had dolphins playing in our wake on the way back. Capt Dean took us around in circle a bit to watch them darting in front of the boat. Fun morning! Hope it stays this nice for a while.

Flat seas no current for most of the time. 50 feet viz but the blue water and viz was getting much better around 4pm.
Took pix of the little guys(one was the size of a q tip head)

we had zero current, green water, viz 40-45FT @ deep molasses and fire coral caves this morning. again worthless report without photos. i might have tim send me photos from his june visit to aquarius for a report tomorrow. marine WX looks super thru friday AM,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

as a follow up to yesterdays post: 1st dive today(captain lou), the aquarius underwater habitat, calm seas, zero current and green water. viz only 45FT(worst iv'e ever seen on the site, normally clear water as it's an extension of conch wall), max depth 66FT. absolutely engulfed with fish: grey, schoolmaster, cubera, yellowtail and dog snappers, grunts, goliath and black groupers, spadefish, jacks, creole fish and barracuda hanging below the support buoy. 2nd; snapper ledge(molasses only had 40ft viz, green water as well), viz 35ft, green water, very fishy. timg might send a few photos for me to post of the habitat from his june dive. tomorrow, the elbow and north/north or horseshoe(long haul on OD's boat. by the way their captains and divemasters have been simply terrific this week!!),,,,,,,,,,,,,

Home | NOAA’s Aquarius Reef Base

reefman
key largo

Last edited:
tim delivered!! the aquarius underwater reef base(they changed the name) thru his camera over the past 2 years(to repeat from the previous post, the viz was dreadfull today and tim was elsewhere. having said that, the shear density of fish has increased dramactically since these photos were shot). it's obvious to me; these reports are enhanced with quality photos!!!!!!!!!!

reefman
key largo

Attachments

• _DSC1850.jpg
    _DSC1850.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 43
  • _DSC1915.jpg
    _DSC1915.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 39
  • _DSC1929.jpg
    _DSC1929.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 43
  • _DSC9045.jpg
    _DSC9045.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 41
  • _DSC9059.jpg
    _DSC9059.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 42
  • _DSC9160.jpg
    _DSC9160.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 36
  • _DSC9176.jpg
    _DSC9176.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 42
  • _DSC9226.jpg
    _DSC9226.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 43
  • _DSC9267.jpg
    _DSC9267.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 40
  • _DSC9277.jpg
    _DSC9277.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Went to MO today because of the radio reports. I am sorry, holy overexaggeration batman.
Viz 35-40 feet and greenish. Current definitely was noticeable and getting more annoying.
Took a few pix will post later

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom