The Sweet Life on Molasses Reef & Upper Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1st drop today, the statue(15 min limit); only boat there, minimal current, viz 40FT. 2nd, the elbow/city of washington/fish feed, green water, zero current, viz 45FT, nurse sharks, goliaths and green morays participating(not my cup of tea so to speak, spent most of the dive on the wreck and exploring the coral fingers south). 3rd drop on horseshoe reef as we recieved a report from another operator of glass minows, nice dive; clear green water, no current, viz 40FT, max depth 25FT, great macro site, lush flora not overly fishy. no pics!! where's timg!!!!! final day with this group tomorrow, i suspect molasses area,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Went to MO today because of the radio reports. I am sorry, holy overexaggeration batman.
Viz 35-40 feet and greenish. Current definitely was noticeable and getting more annoying.
Took a few pix will post later

as is stated weeks ago, viz reports from the majority of the upper keys dive operators have been overly inflated this summer. vertical viz has been okay, however, particulates have made horizontal viz well below average in my view,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

‪Just another day at the office!‬‏ - YouTube

Although not my backyard here's a little video a friend of mine who works at a dive shop in Key Largo took while we did a nice, long drift dive on a spectacular day. I can't remember the name of the reef but it was the one with the submerged tower.

nice vid

Funny expression

last day of diving with the OD photo charter and attempted a drop on deep molasses. abandoned that plan due to a rippin current(viz appeared to be 80+FT). elected to dive permit ledge/fire coral cave(M1). again strong current, 1-2ft seas(wind 10+KTS), blue water and a respectable 60-70+ viz; eagle ray, goliaths, turtles, nice dive but alot of effort in the exposed areas. we headed north and bypassed french reef which had blue water and current(rare for that site)(rainbow reef observed a manta ray @ french on their 2nd dive this AM!!) to dive the benwood. zero current, green water and lousy viz; 25FTwould be generous. macro shooters enjoyed the dive nontheless. many thanx to stephen for the invite and OD's captains the past 6 days; joe, lou, mike and divemasters meagan and mike. well run operation,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Last edited by a moderator:
Too busy the past two days diving to follow-up. Feeling a bit like the "United Nations of Key Largo Dive Shops" - I worked with students, guided/translated for 2 shops, certified 1 student from a 3rd shop, dove from 3 different boats: Seadwellers, Horizon, & Island Ventures...it's all good in Key Largo.

Thurs: 4 dives on Molasses Reef (Train wreck, Eagle Ray Alley, Aquarium) - water temp 87, flat seas, almost no wind, viz ranged from 50-70 ft depending on site/time of day/etc. Current picked up as the day went on. And the jelly fish have returned a few hanging out near the surface. You can see the Coral Restoration folks have been busy planting (attaching) baby corals at various sites at Molasses.

Fri: 2 dives at Elbow Reef - Mike's wreck and South Ledges - seas picked up to about 2ft choppy, viz down to about 40-50 but we did see: many more jelly fish than yesterday, turtle, lobsters, big crab, teeny little flounder, nurse shark, and while returning to boat @ 15ft school of horse eye jacks passed us (from a distance I 1st thought tuna?) and looked beneath them so see a 12+ ft bull shark circling for supper. We don't see those very often here.

With nary a remnant of TS Emily, I hear today there is no wind, flat seas, 80ft viz, light current, the water is great but watch for jellies (rash guards strongly recommended). If you are hanging out on the boat and not in the water, the boat crew says "It's stupid hot out here".

You can see the Coral Restoration folks have been busy planting (attaching) baby corals at various sites at Molasses.

Good observation on the CRF plantings. I was out with them earlier in the week with a group of students from Road Less Traveled. The kids were from all over the US, very good group. One day we did maintenance on the Wellwood site, another day we planted 30 corals near Mooring Buoy 22.

You can see the results here:
Road Less Traveled plants 30 corals | Coral Reef Restoration Logbook

last day of diving with the OD photo charter and attempted a drop on deep molasses. abandoned that plan due to a rippin current(viz appeared to be 80+FT). elected to dive permit ledge/fire coral cave(M1). again strong current, 1-2ft seas(wind 10+KTS), blue water and a respectable 60-70+ viz; eagle ray, goliaths, turtles, nice dive but alot of effort in the exposed areas. we headed north and bypassed french reef which had blue water and current(rare for that site)(rainbow reef observed a manta ray @ french on their 2nd dive this AM!!) to dive the benwood. zero current, green water and lousy viz; 25FTwould be generous. macro shooters enjoyed the dive nontheless. many thanx to stephen for the invite and OD's captains the past 6 days; joe, lou, mike and divemasters meagan and mike. well run operation,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Sounds like a great class. I know he teaches them several times each year.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom