The thread to end all "are the ebay scooters good?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gears/Bearings? Not likely user serviceable. Not likely shop serviceable. Same with rings/seals. Maybe the brushes in the motor could be serviced, but, again, this thing is disposable.

I'm reviving this thread because I was recently able to replace the gears in my DECO Deep Blue scooter. The prop stopped spinning but the motor worked fine.

I had a flooded one that I tore down. I used the gears and case from the flooded scooter to replace the broken gears in the other one. I packed all around the gears with marine grease. After putting it back together and verifying it worked, that is the prop goes round when the buttons are pushed, I pumped some air into it with a inline gauge installed and watched for a pressure drop while I soap bubble tested the outside. No bubbles and no pressure drop for five minutes.
Haven’t actually dived it yet but I’m confident it’ll work for another season anyway, maybe longer.

The point is that the gears are serviceable if you can get replacements and/or not very hard to lube. In both the original gear case and the salvaged replacement the gears had cut slits in the case allowing what little lube there is in the case to be thrown out by the gears spinning allowing heat to build and gears to break. I didn’t try to fix that just tried to compensate by over lubing the gears. I’ll check the lube a couple of times a years now that I know how to do it and how easy it is to do.

So if anyone has any junk scooters send them my way instead of throwing them away. I’ll pay the shipping and if you have enough junk scooters I might be able to put one together for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom