The trusty BCD.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divers were diving way deeper than 2 ATA before BC's were even thought about. Ever see any Cousteau divers with BC's

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Excuse me captain I lost control on that one myself having do a time or two.:popcorn:

I wonder what happens to the freediver when the belt fails at depth and they realise they've pushed too far down to be able to kick up again?

I don't follow....

That kind of stuff happens now without using that belt. I guess you'll be dancing the samba and hoping that the buddy you should've brought along is paying attention.

which i might add what are they using to inflate it with?
From the picture SkimFisher linked to, it looks like they're using a standard low pressure inflator with a hose leading to a not-visible tank on the back of the waist strap.

I don't follow....

That kind of stuff happens now without using that belt. I guess you'll be dancing the samba and hoping that the buddy you should've brought along is paying attention.

From my experience freediving and skin diving, depth limits and bottom times are calculated by an intuitive sense of what ones body can tolerate. Adding a device that skues those calculations via artificial means looks like trouble to me. Sure people push their limits now but that thing would just cause someone to push them farther with the false sense of security it provides.

Here's a disclaimer from that site:
WARNING! This super streamlined BC Belt and Tank Pack are for advanced divers with advanced buoyancy skills and therefore should not be used by novice or intermediate divers.

And yet it seems like a gear solution that only novice freedivers would consider. Would advanced freedivers really want the drag from this belt/tank combo and what would the benefit be to them? I would be curious as to how it is recieved in the freediving community.

Garrobo,

Along the lines of that belt though, don't they make a closed circuit sausage with a LP hose connection and an OPV? I know I saw one somewhere. You could tie one of those around your waist as well.

I checked out the Zeagle belt and tank. $500 and up. Forget it. I think I'll buy a reeeeealy cheap BCD on Ebay, rip it apart and see what I can cobble up.

Spoon is a noun, too, but much more fun as a verb.:D

(Off topic, I know, but I couldn't resist)

Very nice. :D

I checked out the Zeagle belt and tank. $500 and up. Forget it. I think I'll buy a reeeeealy cheap BCD on Ebay, rip it apart and see what I can cobble up.

Wow, wouldn't have seen that coming. You could buy a Ranger for that price.

Aside from "minimalist" diving there must be some way of getting around wearing the expensive, uncomfortable, movement-restricting and usually mandatory BCD. I've given it a lot of thought and can't seem to conjur up the materials needed to replace one. As far as I am concerned the only use for one is to stay off the bottom and to float on the surface. Mine is always empty on the surface anyway. I'd like to find a durable and inflatable by air tank kind of sausage which can be snapped into a ring around the waist. Any ideas or suggestions (keep it clean) out there?

That would be an Oxy Mach V 18 pound with the fabric back plate. If you must have a BC that is and don't want to be a minimalist. It is just a sausage, but it is wrapped around the tank and not your waist. I see what you are saying, a small waist bladder, maybe five pounds total lift, to assist your built in BC (lungs) when you are carrying a camera or need a little help with exposure suit compression. N

Spoon is a noun, too, but much more fun as a verb.:D

(Off topic, I know, but I couldn't resist)

Swallow's a bird... but don't tell my wife that :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom