The wait is over: Suunto Eon Steel is here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A bit pricey ... $1440 + $440 for the transmitter. But I have heard the same thing about my Atomic Cobalt and Sherwater Petrel. When you find something you love price really isn't a deciding factor. Suunto has a great reputation for great computers.

Agree there Michael

There have been so many thread about how the Petrel should be AI...this computer seems to fit the bill.

AI is not so important for me, have SPG will dive :D

I really like the screen setups...easy to read and easy to operator. If I was looking for a new computer I would look at this one. :)

Me too, but I think at the end of the day, I think it will be the Petrel and I will have my first non-Suunto dive computer.

Wow, I had to read the user manual to see it myself! Looks like if you have an issue that won't let you follow it's schedule 100%, it just gives up and says "screw you, you're dead". How NOT wonderful of a computer.
I had sent an email to our rep about a manual a couple of weeks ago, but nothing was available.
I was hoping that the lack of flexibility had been resolved.
I haven't read the manual in the link yet but it sounds like plan B is in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:
If it really does lock you out for 48 hours if you transgress from its instructions then that's enough for me to decide not to buy it. That's just Health & Safety gone mad ( I blame the lawyers ). Mind you, I suppose taking the battery out will probably reset that ? Or there is usually a "reset to factory defaults" option that may do the same thing. Stupid to design it that way though.

It's on page 23 of the above linked manual. Taking the battery out isn't going to help if you have to omit some deeper stops because of a problem and are counting on the computer to recalculate the remaining shallower stops in order to get you out of the water more or less safely.

I don't see where it will run VPM variations either.

---------- Post added October 7th, 2014 at 09:41 PM ----------

From the manual below: Why is this in a technical computer manual?"
"WARNING:​
DIVES WITH REQUIRED DECOMPRESSION STOPS ARENOT RECOMMENDED. YOU SHOULD ASCEND AND BEGINDECOMPRESSION IMMEDIATELY WHEN THE DIVE COMPUTER
SHOWS YOU THAT A DECOMPRESSION STOP IS REQUIRED!"

---------- Post added October 7th, 2014 at 09:48 PM ----------

Hmm audible alarms, compass needs to be recalibrated before every dive, locks you out for 48 hours of the deco functions if used in gauge mode from what I see.

I don't see where it will run VPM variations either.

---------- Post added October 7th, 2014 at 09:41 PM ----------

From the manual below: Why is this in a technical computer manual?"
"WARNING:​
DIVES WITH REQUIRED DECOMPRESSION STOPS ARENOT RECOMMENDED. YOU SHOULD ASCEND AND BEGINDECOMPRESSION IMMEDIATELY WHEN THE DIVE COMPUTER
SHOWS YOU THAT A DECOMPRESSION STOP IS REQUIRED!"

---------- Post added October 7th, 2014 at 09:48 PM ----------

Hmm audible alarms, compass needs to be recalibrated before every dive, locks you out for 48 hours of the deco functions if used in gauge mode from what I see.

I think it will EVENTUALLY accept third part software updates (as of yet none available) but the standard is the Suunto tec 16 compartment model. so it's variable in the future...

It's on page 23 of the above linked manual. Taking the battery out isn't going to help if you have to omit some deeper stops because of a problem and are counting on the computer to recalculate the remaining shallower stops in order to get you out of the water more or less safely.

Deep stops and the ceiling are two different things on a Suunto. If you miss a deep stop in the Pyle sense it just carries on and modifies remaining stops to account for the missed one. Only if you exceed the ceiling for a while (3 minutes on a helo2) will it give up completely. Suunto like to give very shallow ceilings and it is quite hard to bend one in the water.

I'm with most of you on this. Was really hoping for a tec computer, but some of these features are oxymoronic! God forbid you need a chamber ride for something gone wrong - the tenders won't be able to see the profile that bent you, until 48hrs later?

Suunto could have been going in the right direction, and I have an affinity for the brand in other arenas, but they seem to constantly be putting roadblocks directly in the path of their new products.

Guess I'll buy a few more petrels instead. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added October 8th, 2014 at 04:29 PM ----------

Follow up,after a little more digging. I'm sure I'll catch flak for this, and for so many reasons AI isn't appropriate for tech diving, but you can add up to 10 wireless transmitters to the EON, admittedly, I'm a little intrigued to have all tanks and deco bottles on the same beautiful color screen. Tempted enough to forgo spgs and use this as a primary, unfortunately not...

Suunto could have been going in the right direction, and I have an affinity for the brand in other arenas, but they seem to constantly be putting roadblocks directly in the path of their new products.
I am suprised that so many expected this computer to be meant for tech divers. It's techreational at best. Certainly not full blown tech. I honestly do not believe that Suunto will ever produce a real tech computer. It seems to me in their believe system divers can't decide for themselves what's best for them. The computer should do the thinking for them in their opinion. The tone of voice in the manual is very clear about that. You even get 'punished' for misbehaving by not listening to the computer in case of deco stops
05.gif

Conslusion: if you feel responsible for your own actions and know what you are doing, buy a real tech computer. Don't bother with Suunto. If not and you want to rely on some piece of hardware that tells you exactly what to do, buy a Suunto. I know for sure I'am going for a Petrel any time soon.

AJ:
I am suprised that so many expected this computer to be meant for tech divers. It's techreational at best. Certainly not full blown tech. I honestly do not believe that Suunto will ever produce a real tech computer. It seems to me in their believe system divers can't decide for themselves what's best for them. The computer should do the thinking for them in their opinion. The tone of voice in the manual is very clear about that. You even get 'punished' for misbehaving by not listening to the computer in case of deco stops
05.gif

Conslusion: if you feel responsible for your own actions and know what you are doing, buy a real tech computer. Don't bother with Suunto. If not and you want to rely on some piece of hardware that tells you exactly what to do, buy a Suunto. I know for sure I'am going for a Petrel any time soon.

You're definitely right - but they seem to be flirting with that line with this and the Dx. Why make computers that can handle trimix and CCR, but then stop short of going the last few yards and allowing the flexibility for those who know what they're doing.

I can see some features start as factory locked out, and a diver must plug the unit into a computer, input cert levels and sign digital waivers to unlock the "no lockout" mode, etc... As much as we would throw a hissy fit on scuba board about that, I would understand the reasoning, as long as it let me use a $2,000 piece of gear to it's fullest extent.

I agree with your techreactional assumption - but get a little flummoxed by the concept. Either you're making products for the recreational market, or things that can be used fully by both. Putting tech features into something, than restricting the way it can be used seems like a balk at the concept. "Let's do this...but mayyyyybe not".

Back
Top Bottom