The weirdest things I ever ate were...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagun:
Try the "balut" in the Philippines!

I am willing to try anything once, but I'd starve to death before eating one of those.

Paul

jonnythan:
Softshell crabs.

It's not very unusual, but It's certainly weird. I mean, really. Take this weird disgusting sea bug that lives in garbage, then fry it and eat it whole. Um.. yum!

As for unusual, alligator on a stick.

gator on a stick....yummmmmmy :eyebrow:

Paul

diverrick:
I had Rocky Mountain oysters one time. The father of this girl was a shepard, and he got them by biting them off the sheep, and spitting them out into a coffee can, then he came home and fixed em up for dinner. He was pretty proud of that dish!

LOL, I can't believe no one else called you the preparation method.:D I've had them, they were OK.

I've also had turkey testicles, offered up every year in a drunken festival the day before Thankgiving in Byron, IL.

Dog, rattlesnake, alligator, and various raw sea critters. Curried calf brain. There's not much that I won't try. Though at 45 I still don't like lima beans.

Marc

Just a few.......

Chocolate covered ants (kinda crunchy)
Rattlesnake (very tasty)
Possum pie (if would've known, not a chance)
Bear (very greasy)
Iguana
Gator
Turtle (tastes like chicken)
Horse

I'll usually try anything once twice if I like it. :eyebrow:

I was an english teacher in Korea for a few years. They have lots of fun stuff. Boiled silk worm larve (tastes like chalk) is a common treat for young kids. I've also eated curried bamboo snake in Thailand. Not bad but the skin is terrible. We went hunting for them at about 2am with a flashlight and that kind of US civil war era musket. Also curried frogs and fermented snake whiskey in Vietnam. I've actually seen much crazier examples of culinary delights but declined the actual eating part.

I have always wondered with a lot of these things.. What was the first person to ever eat the majority of these dishes thinking. You don't stumble upon a lot of things and say.. "Oh . this looks tasty"

nativenarcosis:
What was the first person to ever eat the majority of these dishes thinking. You don't stumble upon a lot of things and say.. "Oh . this looks tasty"

You stumble onto a lot of these things and say;

OMG I'm hungry, that stuff looks disgusting...

but OMG I'm hungry.......

jiveturkey:
Boiled silk worm larve (tastes like chalk) is a common treat for young kids.
One kid i knew back in school was told to eat charcoal tablets for, shall we say, a flatulence problem - now i have seen vets give the same things to animals, but never before nor since a doctor to an actual person. The chalk thing made me think about the charcoal.

simbrooks:
One kid i knew back in school was told to eat charcoal tablets for, shall we say, a flatulence problem - now i have seen vets give the same things to animals, but never before nor since a doctor to an actual person. The chalk thing made me think about the charcoal.

My wife's a Pediatric RN, and she say's it's not uncommon at all for hospitals to give charcoal to kids who've ingested a poison. On a side note, they also have a stock of sterile leaches that (I believe) are sometimes used to keep a wound clean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom