The wreck of the coaster "Rebel"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whoa!
Very cool to see these pics.
Thank you for the posting.
Chug
Has doved it.

Here is a couple of more pics.
These pictures are taken in 1980 and are of the captains quarters with office and restroom.

Kapteins%20lugar%201%20small.jpg

Kapteins%20lugar%202%20small.jpg

Wonder what this looks like now?

cartenman: those photos are fantastic: I now feel like I need to dive the wreck as well. Thanks for sharing a bit of your family's history

Thank you. Glad you liked them :)
These last days have been a good walk down the memory lane. Its very fun and interesting to finally find out what happened to her. And it was really special to see the under water pictures of her.
Now I do want to see her again before nature takes the final stroke at her and she become unrecognizable.
Witch time of year is the best time to dive in Florida considering visibility and weather?

Last edited:
cartenman; you can contact Gary at divespots.com and they would be glad to add any information about the wreck or pic's you would like.

Thank you for your advice, I will have a try with that :)

Anyone who know who owns the Ships bell by the way?

Thank you. Glad you liked them :)
These last days and been a good walk down the memory lane. Its very fun and interesting to finally find out what happened to her. And it was really special to see the under water pictures of her.
Now I do want to see her again before nature takes the final stroke at her and she become unrecognizable.
Witch time of year is the best time to dive in Florida considering visibility and weather?

I dive year round, but enjoy the late spring, summer and early fall the most. If there is no major storm at sea (like a hurricane), the marine conditions are usually excellent: the air is also warm, so when you exit the water and are sitting on the boat, you don't get cold. This time of year, the water temp can be in the low 70's, but during the summer water temps can be in the high 70's to the low 80's. The last couple of summers, the diving has been fantastic 90% of the time. I have dove wrecks near the Rebel and viz has been anywhere from 35 feet to over 100 feet.

Haven't dove Ft. Lauderdale in awhile however after reading this thread, it will be on the "to do" list very soon.

Cartenman: Let us know when your in town and we'll get a group to go dive with you. Would be cool to hear more stories!

Wow; it's very to see the top side pictures of the Rebel and pictures of Norway (my grandfather came over from Norway in his 20s). My husband and I dive this wreck at least a few times a year.

Cartenman: Shoot me a PM when you're coming to town. We would be more than happy to take you out on our boat to dive her.

Very cool!
I dived this one, but I need to re-dive it on Nitrox so I remember more of it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom