Thermal protection for hands/feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adding a layer of wool underwater serves purpose 2...it may not trap air, but it does trap water. It can also help a not-so-great fitting wetsuit work better.

Actualy, this is a huge negative.

You don't want water moveing in thought the suit, and you want as little water in there as posible. Water being a heat sink and all.
Thats why a wetsuit needs to be snug everywhere.

I haven't done it my self directly. I do know people who have, most saying they didn't notice any diference at all. I don't think I could actualy get fleece into my wetsuit. It fits.

I trust my physics, which sais I need a drysuit. :D

JimC once bubbled...

Actualy, this is a huge negative.

You don't want water moveing in thought the suit, and you want as little water in there as posible. Water being a heat sink and all.
Thats why a wetsuit needs to be snug everywhere.

Right...if you think about it, water flow ends up being reduced by adding this extra layer because it helps trap water.

I see you are from Ontario, so you probably dive in cold water, as I do. I've tried this and kept my feet warm in extremely cold water.

JimC once bubbled...
I haven't done it my self directly. I do know people who have, most saying they didn't notice any diference at all. I don't think I could actualy get fleece into my wetsuit. It fits.

You're probably thinking about a typical thick fleece that one would wear in the winter. They make microfleece and smartwool that is almost t-shirt thin and very warm...My buddy has an excellent fitting wetsuit and he can still wiggle it on underneath.

I dive with a core-warmer underneath my 7mm, but still put wool socks on with my booties...it really does help reduce water flow and my feet are nice and toasty even after wet dives in the mid 40s.

I trust my physics, which sais I need a drysuit. :D

That's something we can both agree upon....I only dive wet when my drysuit isn't available for some reason. :)

And an attempt to bring the thread back on topic.

There are 2/3mm socks you can get. They can be found in any outdoor store that caters to kayakers and cannoers. They wear them with sandles or shooes to keep warm with wet feet.

If gloves are to cold, you can get huge 7mm crab claw mit/gauntlets.

You can also try a beany under your hood or a corewarmer under your 7mm. Which should make your feet warmer.

The reference to fleece undergarment reminds of the at least decade old fad of plush lined suits. They were comfy but the plush lining allowed for more water flow and they really were not any warmer.

You can find 2mm or 3 mm neoprene socks in most sporting good stores and they do work well under a 7mm bootie and add minimal bulk. They also make good dry suit socks.

Scubapro used to sell 7mm gloves and 3 finger mits with a smooth rubber inner sear and a smooth inner faced out seal. This matched a similar smooth rubber seal on the wetsuit sleave and when stacked properly prevented most of the water flow into either the glove or the sleave of the wetsuit.

Failing the continued availability of something similar to this, a longer gauntlet type glove minimizes water flow and a three finger mit keeps your hand warmer overall than a 5 finger glove although you have all the dexterity of the invading alien in a bad '50's sci-fi movie.

I have a pair of Deep See 5mm titanium gloves and they work very well. They have this smooth titanium lining that frankly does not reflect anything despite what the markrting folks say. But it does make for a very smooth inner surface. The gloves fit closely and the smooth inner surface allows less water flow than a similar nylon lined neoprene glove. The gloves are also well cut with pre-bent fingers and fit my hands well which is a big part of warmth in a glove. If there are spaces and pockets inside the glove when you are wearing them, they will pump water in and out of the glove every time you move your hand no matter how well they are sealed.

A "cheater" hood is also useful. These are a 7mm hood with a 3mm to 5mm vest attached. It adds another layer under the wetsuit or semi-dry and also inhibits water flow through the neck and adds another layer of coverage over the wetsuit/semi-dry zipper whether it's on the front or back. They are available with or without a smooth neoprene "seal" area to fit against the smooth neoprene neck seal on a semi-dry suit.

When it gets too hot to comfortably don my drysuit (most days after early June), I use a Scubamax one piece 7mm semi-dry with an Akona 3mm/7mm cheater hood, 7mm boots and the above mentioned 5mm gloves in water down to 40 degrees at the bottom for up to half an hour or so and am comfortable as long as the deco is above a thermocline and closer to 60 degrees or so.

There is a lot to be said for a drysuit and I own two, but I still prefer a wet suit or semi-dry when practical as they are less bulky and offer less drag in the water. I also don't get overheated putting one on when it's 90 degrees out.

I appreciate most of the responses to my inquiry.

In answer, yes, I can dive dry but I prefer to dive wet under most circumstances.

I guess I'll look around for some neoprene liners for the boots and gloves (lobster mitts really impair my ability to communicate with my daughter as we use American Sign Language underwater) or limit my time in sub 50 water.

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

Soggy, I prefer wet diving over dry diving for several reasons:

[1] My dive partner(s) is/are my daughters who are too tiny to fit into a stock dry suit, so if they dive wet, so do I, that way we all know how cool the surrounding water is.

[2] Dry suits cost too much, and cost 50-75$ to rent each time. The three of us own our wet suits.

[3] Easier maintenance with a wet suit and less aggravation when it comes to buoyancy management problems.

I enjoyed diving deep and cold last November in a dry suit but again, personal preference, I like wet, and I can tolerate down to about 50F in full 7mm. Much below that I don't need to dive long.:)

Back
Top Bottom