They keep getting younger....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina:
LOL!

I was trying to pretend that getting called "ma'am" all the time wasn't that i was getting old, but rather that the youngsters don't really know proper etiquette anymore :wink:

I was raised that being called Sir or Ma'am is a sign of respect. It slips out of me out of sheer habit and I must admit I get grumbeled at occasionally. I sometimes wince when someone calls me sir... but I don't fuss at them either.

TwoBit

My mama instilled in my very soul that sir and ma'am are a permanent part of my vocabulary. I was taken aback when I went to the State Fair the other night and they gave me a Senior Citizen discount without asking. Then I realized - Dude, you just saved me ten bucks.

I have a Nik II also but since I got my bifocals and used a digital camera it stays on the shelf with all my other artifacts and dinosaur relics.

By the way - the word sir in Thai means stupid..... We had lots of fun emphasizing sir with Lieutenants.

Yup, Sir and Ma'am are pretty instilled in me, too...however, it was/is customary where I grew up (midwest) to address younger women as Miss...so when things changed for whatever reason (me getting older or midwesterners dropping the Miss) it was a shock!

I remember the early days (late 1960's) when I tried taking my first underwater pix with a Nikonos. I was a pretty accomplished topside photographer. However my efforts with the Nikonos forced me to abandon underwater still photography.

As for the young blondes, I still seem to attract a fair share although I think they are mainly interested in my unique wetsuits (and not to get "into" them, sigh).

Originally Posted by louisianadiver
If you're the original owner, then I think you are. -Clay

Good point, but actually it was originally my dad's.
I dont keep up to date on all the newest gadgets, so Im always a bit behind the times.
Guess Im just not feeling too good about the big 4-0 coming up either!

Chummer:
Originally Posted by louisianadiver

Good point, but actually it was originally my dad's.
I dont keep up to date on all the newest gadgets, so Im always a bit behind the times.
Guess Im just not feeling too good about the big 4-0 coming up either!

Wow, 4-0. That means I'm not quite old enough to be your dad (no implication). I still have my original Nik II, and I still use Nikonos for wide angle. I prefer the word "consistency" to the word "rut". Re: "sir": I was raised to say it, was once miffed when I heard it in reference to me, and now expect it and could possibly be miffed if I don't get it. I might even be tempted to call someone your age "sonny". Now, THAT'S old. Old guy advice: Try adding several years to your age when asked how old you are. For example, if I say I'm 59 when asked, people will nod approvingly and say I look pretty good for 59 (I'm 52). -Clay

On occasion I've told people who ask my age that I'm in my 70's and that the good life here on the island (and all my time in the therapeutic salt water) has kept me well preserved.

I grew up with sir and ma'am and they were an indication of respect for those older than me. Now 'adays there doesn't seem to be as much respect for others whether they be older or of the same age.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom