Things I wish I knew when buying my gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaMaDo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Here’s a collection of info I wish I knew when purchasing my set of gear. The only fact here is that it’s all my own personal opinion. I also only include a BP/W rather than jacket since I don’t have too much experience with jackets. I also added sections on regulators, computers, and misc items/information.

First I’ll go over each item, then list the recommended/popular brands, then at the end I have a list of online shops I’ve used with good results.

BP/W

The BP/W might look uncomfortable but I find it more comfortable than the jacket. I don’t feel the straps (there are pads if you really want them anyway) and I feel like I have a lot less on. If you want to go the in-between route, there are some BCDs that are a bit similar to BP/Ws such as Zeagle Brigade/Ranger so you might consider one of those back inflate BCDs.

BP/W isn’t for everybody though. You might prefer a jacket much more. You should be able to rent each style to test them out. The only place I can verify BP/W rentals is in Key Largo. You can rent halcyon BP/Ws at silent world and horizon, and of course, jackets are everywhere. Try before you buy. The more comfortable you are, the more enjoyable diving will be. Again, BP/W isn’t for everybody.

BP/Ws consist of a backplate made of aluminum or steel, a harness, and a “wing” which is an inflatable bladder that attaches to the back of the plate. A set of bolts goes through the wing and you use wing nuts (or delrin speed nuts) to hold it onto the backplate. There is also the option of a STA which is a single tank adapter that gives more stability to the tank and can add extra weight if needed (such as a weighted STA).

There are several brands but they all function the same and the parts are usually interchangeable. Not all though.

Backplate

The aluminum version is 2 pounds negative and the stainless steel is 5-6 pounds negative. I recommend the steel one unless you’re mainly using it for travel. There’s a huge probability that you will need weight with the aluminum unless you’re diving steel tanks. I have to add an extra 4 pounds of lead to my steel backplate when using a 3mm wetsuit.

The main difference in quality for steel plates is the the deburring done on the holes…somes are smoother than others. Poor deburring may have a chaffing effect on your webbing. Hollis and Halcyon do a great job with their cuts. I’m not sure on the rest. I’ve read complaints on some brands though. For aluminum plates, the finish varies greatly and some might show signs of wear earlier than others. Besides a SS Hollis plate, I also have an aluminum Hollis plate and the aluminum one is pretty scarred up from the bolts with only 2 dives on it.

Some recommended backplate brands are Halcyon, Hollis, Hog, OMS, Dive Rite, Golem, Deep Sea Supply (DSS), Oxycheq, and some no-name versions that are a lot cheaper. Aluminum backplates can cost as low as $48 and steel $75.

Harness

There are various types of harnesses. The single piece of webbing (sometimes called “Hogarthian” or “Hog”-not to be confused with the brand) will be just as comfortable as the “comfort” harnesses (I have both and will sell the comfort one). Unless you have some physical issue that prevents you from getting out of the one piece easily, I recommend the $25 single piece webbing. They shouldn’t be tight - I can take my arms out of the one piece without taking off my belt & crotch strap. You also have the option of adding harness pads and a backpad to the single piece webbing. I have a backpad for storage purposes and to keep the cold steel off my back. The comfort harnesses come in variety of flavors with all manner of releases to make donning and doffing easier.

You can find a good guide on how to set up a hogarthian harness here. And a video here.

Some recommended harness brands are Halcyon, Hollis, Hog, OMS, Dive Rite, Golem, Deep Sea Supply (DSS). A dive rite basic harness can be had for only $25.

Wing

The key here is that it needs to float itself and what you’re carrying when you’re not in it (since most humans are more or less neutrally buoyant). The best way to figure this out is to use the calculator made by seylitch. It was dead on for me at least. For a singles wing in warm water, you probably won’t need more than a 20 pound wing. Anything from 15-30 pounds will work if you’re in warm water. I don’t really put any air into my wing at all except when first jumping in and at the end of the dive after reaching the surface to wait to board the boat – but this is warm water with an AL80. I don’t have experience with drysuits and cold water so I won’t talk about wings for those situations.

It’s best to choose a wing that doesn’t require a STA just in case you travel with it and don’t want to bring that extra weight (if you decided to get an STA). Some wings don’t have holes for the cam bands and a STA is required, so check to see if you need one.

After each dive remember to rinse the inside of the wing both between the outer shell and inner bladder and through the corrugated hose (by holding the manual fill button against your sink, etc). Wiggle it around then dump it out a few times.

An inflator hose comes with most wings.

Some recommended wing brands are Oxycheq (my preference- the Mach V), Hog (cheap and great quality), Halcyon (very expensive), Hollis, OMS, Dive Rite, Golem, Deep Sea Supply (DSS)

Note – there are some parts that are proprietary. As examples: the Halcyon backpad and cinch system won’t work with a Hollis backplate. The DSS backplate weights will only fit on DSS backplates, etc. The three main parts (BP, harness, wing) are usually interchangeable, it’s the little extras that you need to worry about.

STA

Originally these were for mounting a single tank on a doubles wing. Most “singles” wings now have cam band slots and little stabilizers built in. A proper steel STA can add more stability but it is not necessary in many cases.

Single tank adapters have variations that can make a significant difference. Here’s my example: I have an Oxycheq 30 pound Mach V wing and the only STA that fits how I want is the narrow Oxycheq STA. This STA has the top and bottom cam band slots closer together (the top of the cam slot is level with the bolt, instead of being centered like most STAs) which helps me lower the tank so that I don’t bang my head into the first stage. Also, since the whole thing is shorter overall, it fits the Oxycheq wing on both possible sets of mounting holes. The dive rite STA I had before would only fit on one set of holes because it was too bulky. That was my experience with it. Other wings that have a wider gap in the back than the Oxycheq won’t have that problem. If you use a STA, the cam bands that hold the tank will go through the STA instead of the wing.

Bolts

You need bolts unless you bought a STA w/ bolt kit and the ones that come with the STA might be too short. Finding bolts was an issue for me because the ones that came with the STAs I tried were too short to go through STA, wing, grommeted webbing and BP. They worked, but were a PITA to get in. I needed longer ones. The ones from home depot rust. I suggest a 1 ½” 316 SS bolt from mcmaster carr, part # 93180A330. The delrin+brass Oxycheq speed nuts or the smaller star-shaped full delrin ones made by DSS are nice to add too and don’t require washers.

Weight

I’ve tried various configurations with weight (this is one of the benefits of a bp/w) – on the cam bands, on the waist part of the harness, in the groove of the backplate, as a separate belt, hanging off the bottom of the backplate, and quick release pockets added to the waist belt of the harness. In my opinion, the best is either a weighted STA, the tail weights hanging off the bottom of the backplate(this is what I use to add 4 lbs), or the smallest quick release harness pockets you can find (I’ll use this type if I go to a 5mm for winter). Without a wetsuit, I don’t use any weight.

Halcyon makes a great weighted STA. XS Scuba makes some great weight pockets. Dive Rite, Halcyon, OMS, Hollis and others make quick release pockets for the harness waist belt. I like the small 10 lb vertical Halcyon ones.

Slates

I find these very useful. I recommend staying away from the fancy magnetic ones and just getting a small flat slate with an attached pencil. They clean off super easy with Mr Clean Magic Eraser. The one I like is the Trident SL-18...I replaced the pencil attachment with 3/16 bungee cord and added a bolt clip to the corner with cave line. This way nothing is going anywhere. Several other brands/configurations seem to have an issue with the pencil escaping.

Regulators

The main things to look for are ease of breathing, availability of servicing, and availability of parts.

There are regulators made for warm water only and others can handle the cold too. If you’re thinking about diving cold in the future, invest in one that can handle it now rather than having to buy another set.

The majority of modern regulators are “balanced” which means the ease of breathing stays the same throughout changes in depth and tank pressure. Stay away from unbalanced, even for the octopus. Some high performance first stages are “overbalanced” which basically just means it adapts faster to changing pressure. Overbalanced are supposedly the easiest to breathe. I do enjoy mine substantially compared to rentals.

There is also the choice between piston, sealed piston, and diaphragm. Sealed piston or diaphragm would be best for cold. Piston regs are very durable, with simpler parts and theoretically less potential for failure. From what I’ve read the only difference you really need to worry about is the sealing for cold water if needed. Some brands like Dive Rite have a standard and “cold water kit” version.

As for yoke or DIN, start off with yoke. It’s what you’re going to be renting tank-wise. If you’re buying your own tanks or about to get into technical diving, then go DIN. It is possible to convert each to the other with a $75 conversion kit. You can also buy a $25-100 adapter that is easier to put on and doesn’t require tools. An issue with a din to yoke adapter though is that it puts the first stage an inch closer to your head which might be an issue for some.

More expensive doesn’t always mean better. If you want cheap but high quality, consider Hog regulators (made by Edge). A possible downside to the Hogs is that you might have to send them out for service once a year unless you want to learn to service them yourself. You can get the set for $250 and it is arguably comparable to a $700 Apeks XTX-200.

It helps to choose a brand that can be serviced locally. Either buy from your LDS or check to make sure they carry and can service the brand if you buy online. Some LDSs carry the brand but can’t service them so double-check. Most cities have an LDS that carries Scubapro, Aqualung, Atomic, Cressi, or Mares. Those should never really be a problem.

It would be best if you could try the regulator first to see if it breathes easily for you and if it’s comfortable. Some places like Scubatoys.com let you return used items for store credit so this might be an option. Caveadventurers.com lets you do the same with Hog regs.

On some brand models, a comfort swivel is included. Sometimes this swivel is not compatible with standard hoses. If you plan on switching to Miflex hoses (they are much more flexible), or getting into tech diving in the future, check with the manufacturer to verify the compatibility of the connectors on their regulators. In some rare cases, the second stage has a proprietary connector for the swivel, and the swivel is permanently attached to the factory hose.

Be careful with choosing a low quality octopus. Remember this is the emergency hose. You don’t want to find out it doesn’t work when you or your buddy are in immediate need of it. Some divers have an identical second stage as their octo. It’s not a good idea to get used to a whole new regulator in an emergency when you think you’re close to dying.

The inflator/octo combo seems like a good idea until you have to share air. For some it might be perfectly fine, for others it might be awkward. If you plan on having this configuration, be sure to practice with it.

Most regulators are made for up to 40% nitrox out of the box. Double-check with the manufacturer because not all are.

Oh and when you get it, don’t get water inside the first stage. Very bad. If it happens, get it serviced. Always keep the yoke/din caps on and never dunk them when off the tank or when the tank isn’t pressurized.

Here’s a write up of regulator checks you should do before every dive.

The most popular brands seem to be Scubapro, Apeks, Atomic, Aqualung, Sherwood, Mares, Oceanic, Cressi. If you consider buying used, remember to add the cost of servicing which can run up to $150 with parts and service. It can take 1-2 weeks. Most brands offer free parts for life if you are the original owner. Some only require service every two years.

Last edited:
Computers

The benefit of a computer is the sometimes large amount of extra time you get underwater due to its multilevel calculating ability. The tables have you at the max depth for the pressure group for the whole dive, but the computer takes into account the shallower depths also. One caveat with computers is that they can make you lazy and reliant on them. Make sure you stay current in dive planning ability without the use of one. You can also consider carrying a backup computer if traveling.

There are a lot of computers to choose from. I recommend getting one that is nitrox capable because you might end up using enhanced air in the future and then you’d have to buy a new computer. The price difference is pretty small.

You can get the wrist mount with transmitter (very expensive) or the hose-connected console that will also usually have an SPG (submersible pressure gauge - tank pressure) and maybe a compass on it. You can also opt for a wrist mount without transmitter (some can be added later) and then have a simple SPG (or “mini-console&#8221:wink: attached with a hose. I prefer a wrist mount with a little 2” SPG attached to the belt of my harness.

Here’s a great guide on computers.

Some popular brands are Suunto, Aeris, Oceanic (Oceanic, Aeris, and Hollis are all the same company), and Uwatec

Purchasing Options

It’s always best to go through your LDS since they need us and we need them. I would at least give them the chance to come close to an online price. Sometimes they can even beat it for certain items/brands. In my experience, Akona brand items can be had cheaper than internet prices locally, so those I always buy in Miami. I also found Halcyon Scout lights cheaper than online in Key Largo. If you make large purchases online, consider at least buying the smaller stuff locally. You can also support LDSs with training, buying dive vacations with them, etc.

As for online shops, here’s a list of the ones I’ve used in no particular order:
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/
http://www.leisurepro.com/
http://divegearexpress.com/
http://www.caveadventurers.com/store/
http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/store/
http://www.diveseekers.com/
http://www.scuba.com/
http://www.scubatoys.com/
http://deepseasupply.com - I have read quite often that DSS also makes great BP/W kits

For some gear, also consider the classifieds section of scubaboard.com. I’ve used that forum to buy used or even new items several times and have not had a bad experience yet.

If you don’t want to think about it and have plenty of money, I consider the “Apple computer” companies of the diving world to be Halcyon and Atomic (I got this from another thread). If you get a Halcyon Infinity system with an Atomic B2 and B2 octopus, you’ll have top of the line stuff with nothing else to think about. I prefer putting my own parts together though. It’s more fun, unique, and educational, IMHO.

You put a lot of time and effort into that -- thank you! Although it's definitely about warm water diving, and although I could quibble with a few statements, there is a lot of good information there.

A couple of things I would like to add: One is that there are alternatives to slates. Slates can be difficult to clean, and worse, they dangle and get caught in stuff. The wrist slates occupy a lot of arm, if you are small. A good alternative is Wet Notes, sold by a variety of companies (but one of the best sets at an excellent price is sold by Piranha Dive Manufacturing). These can be tucked into a pocket, and brought out when needed.

Which brings up the topic of pockets -- they're awfully nice, and the ones on BCs often are difficult to access or too small to be useful. You can glue pockets on wetsuits, or buy specially made neoprene shorts with the pockets already applied, which can be worn over a wetsuit (or dry suit!)

And finally, if you do opt for the octo-inflator combo, realize that you will be donating the regulator you are breathing. Having that regulator on a standard, 24" hose will mean you are ascending eye to eye (literally) with the out of air diver. It's not very comfortable. It works much better to put an octo-length or longer hose on the primary (which is, of course, why octopus hoses are 36 to 40 inches standard). Depending on how you route the hose, you may require an angled adapter to make the regulator sit comfortably in your mouth.

I'm sure other folks will add to this, and dispute their own favorite ideas. But there's still a lot of good stuff here.

Thanks!

Yep, I tried to keep it to just my experience so far, so warm water it is :wink:

I forgot about the wetnotes, but I don't know too much about them. Are they easy to clean or do you use it up and then replace the pages?

I also forgot about pockets. I love these Dive Rite ones since I can use them with board shorts or my wetsuit.

Anyone is encouraged to quibble/dispute/add their own opinion so I and others can learn.

when you get the cliff notes version, please post it -------also....

Im new to this board but Ill add something thats a huge preference for me. I personally hate hoses. Even if they are neat and clipped and up against your body they still find ways to get in the way.

I use a wireless air integrated computer. Yes yes if it fails or something you might cut your dive time shorter but the risk is small and if youre an experienced diver you can safely end your dive.

I use the integrated inflator octopus. If someone needs my regulator in an emergency im happy to use that for one dive. I currently have the scuba pro one but have tried the atomic one and it is very nice for an integrated octopus.

My regulator hose has a swivel end. Helps prevent the reg pulling.

Just my two cents. I dont like hoses getting stuck when penetrating, banging on things when climbing onto the boat. I especially dont like other divers hitting me with their hoses when they walk by me! lol

I am back into diving after a 17 yr break as my hubby didn't dive...until just this past September. And we're only warm water divers. When we bought our gear we bought a nice big Akonas dive bag that could hold both sets. Problem is...airline weight limit of 50lbs/bag. So now we've had to buy a nice smaller one that will only hold one set of gear and the big one is being used but it's really too big for just one set.

Bummer. :depressed: Lessons learned the expensive way.

Betty

Thanks DaMaDo, it is very appreciated.
Get Wet!

Thanks for this.

My two main regrets about my gear relate to the octo-inflator combo and my computer/SPG/compass. I bought the Air2 and have come to realize, as you and another poster above says, that it doesn't make any sense at all in a situation when you actually have to give your buddy the primary reg, then switch to your octo, and spend the entire exit cheek to jowl with your buddy. What if you have a rough exit, such as being whipped about my wave surges while holding onto the bottom with only a tiny bit of hose to work with? I also found that the process to deploy, or at least learning to deploy, a DSMB is a bit awkward, since you have to switch to the octo to breath, as your primary is the only reg with a long enough hose to inflate the tube. I believe the recommended procedure is to use your octo to inflate the DSMB so you never have to remove the reg from your mouth.

My other regret is that I got an air integrated wrist mount computer AND a bulky SPG with compass. Since you're going to end your dive if you lose your computer anyway, you don't really need all those extra gauges. I should have gotten a compass that was either wrist mounted or clipped to my BCD for when I need it and maybe a small pressure gauge only that I could clip off and use only in case of an emergency where my computer suddenly dies. (I know someone will say that any skilled diver should have an idea of how much air they have left at any point in the dive and the only thing that matters is if the air is "enough", but the thought of being in the middle of a dive, even if I have no intentions besides ending it as soon as possible, with no pressure gauge fills me with an unreasoning anxiety.)

But fixing all this will take money. Sigh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom