Things I wish I knew when buying my gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Biggest regret... split fins at the recommendation of the LDS where I did my o/w.

I am starting to really think about skill advancement and will either be selling these on Craigslist or holding on to them for those rare occasions where I or a buddy could benefit from these rather than Jets - or whatever I purchase in the next few weeks.

Lot's of good info guys, it's saved me from making some mistakes already!

Good post
Looking into getting gear and the extra amount of info they dont tell you is always good

DaMaDo - Excellent job! :thumbs-up I am currently evaluating whether I should change from BCD jacket to BP/W and a lot of what you compiled is what it took me a long time to begin to understand. My LDS only stocks Apeks, although they can get Dive Rite. Apeks was not on your list (unless I missed it.) Is there a problem with Apeks? Too expensive? Too proprietary? Thanks again.

Hi Gator, I haven't read too much about Apeks' BP/Ws, but from the little I have seen on the various forums, it seems to be a solid product.

It's one of those BP/Ws that's just not marketed as much in the US but still thought of very highly (same with Agir-Brokk).

I can't answer about whether it's proprietary. If it's not proprietary I'd go with the Apeks over the Dive Rite, but it might be more expensive.

Due to Apeks' product marketing choices, most people are surprised to see how many different products Apeks makes on top of their highly praised regulators.

This is great info. Do you have any thoughts in getting an underwater compass? I have one that's part of my gauge and I found it awkward to use with a hose attached to it. I am thinking to get a wrist compass (not the clip on). Any recommendations on how to select one?

Thanks.

This is great info. Do you have any thoughts in getting an underwater compass? I have one that's part of my gauge and I found it awkward to use with a hose attached to it. I am thinking to get a wrist compass (not the clip on). Any recommendations on how to select one?

Thanks.

From what the tech guys say (hey, I listen to em!), the Suunto SK-7 is a very dependable compass.

The Suunto SK-7 is awesome. I went to an LDS and tried several different ones. I chose the SK-7 because it worked perfectly even when tilted. The LDS had a great deal and I bought it on the spot.

Swimming around I didn't want to concentrate so much effort on making sure the compass was perfectly level at all times.

Some of the other ones I tried would give an error of up to 20 degrees with a tilt. Even the ones that were made for tilting still gave a sizeable error.

Out of the 5 compasses I tried out at the LDS, the SK-7 was the only one that stayed true to heading even with a large tilt.

I also recommend the DSS mount for the SK-7.

Back
Top Bottom