Things that make me wonder.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would be interesting to see a fin touted as helping divers move more slowly.

Seems to me that in most dives it's necessary to cover some ground quickly to get to and from the place where you want to cruise around slowly.

I think for traveling divers who cannot rely on using the same gear all the time, fins that help a diver move slower are the fins that create a more stable platform" Generally speaking longer blade fins.

If you are seriously interested in marine life, moving slowly is almost always the right approach, because so much relies on camouflage for survival, and you miss a great deal if you are swimming fast. (The person who gets back on the boat complaining that he didn't see anything has often been the one moving the fastest.).

Well you do have to know what you are looking at in order to spot it in the first place, regardless of your speed. I've been along side of Jonny rocket and saw a lot, in passing, however as you say, Jonny wouldn't have noticed the side of the boat if he ran into it. I like to look around a bit to see what area I might like to take time in, some folks just want to see everything on one dive and figure that's the way to do it, or it may be they were just trying to catch a pod of dolphins.

If we all dove the same, this board would be deadly boring.

Bob
-------------------------------
There are more ways than one to skin a cat, however the cat never likes it.

Manufacturers & advertising agents want product names with zeal and punch & sex. Reality and logic could not have less to do with the matter.

I think for traveling divers who cannot rely on using the same gear all the time, fins that help a diver move slower are the fins that create a more stable platform" Generally speaking longer blade fins.
Admittedly I haven't used long fins for years, but to me maintaining a stable platform is being able to remain relatively motionless, sometimes scooping a little water with the tips of my fins to help me do this. I also like being able to inch forward or back with the aid of just my fins. I can't imagine being able to do this without relatively short, stiff fins.
But then again maybe that's just because I haven't learned to use long fins well.

Well, sometimes you do need speed and power, but that doesn't mean you can't go slow with the same fins. The names they give some fins do imply speed - but they have to call them something, and someone would get fired for going with "Snail fins." (Naming fins after animals is popular too.)

but they have to call them something, and someone would get fired for going with "Snail fins." (Naming fins after animals is popular too.)

Few board members might get excited over "Chromodoris" Fins :rofl3:

It would be interesting to see a fin touted as helping divers move more slowly.....

Will only engourage them to use their hands even more......

Slug fins! I'm in!

Kharon, your observations are fun. The comments too are very enlightening. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom