Things that make you appreciate the team.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys dive offshore at night? I took a DIR-F class and the instructor looked at me like I had two heads when I told him I generally go out on the local Wed night dive.

Good story. I have lost a scout when on an upline as well. :depressed:

And I ALWAYS have to check mine in water since they like to come on under pressure; daytime especially. :shocked2:

-matt

You guys dive offshore at night?

Generally our nights dives are off the beach. Some of the channel islands boats do night dives, but not a couple miles off shore.

Palawan at night is something I've always wanted to do. I'm going to have to try again when the krillstorm has passed...

Krill are fun for feeding coral, not so great for midwater deco situations!

Not to highjack; please send me a PM if would. What is the shop to patronize out there? I have a friend who just moved to LA for a job.

He came back from months of travel in Vietnam, NZ, AUS, and Laos and Thailand. I think the SCUBA bug bit him and I'm doing my best to encourage the destructive addiction for selfish purposes. (I UPS'ed him an extra wing and backplate I had)

-matt

It's weird reading that first post. It was pretty much just a memory dump. I've written less to describe entire classes... this was probably 30 seconds (haven't checked the log yet). It wasn't the end of the world... it just felt like it.

You know dude, its takes a helluva lot of guts to post that. Even though real live "come to jesus" moments are often ~30seconds long, anyone really doing the dives knows exactly what you felt like and how brief moments can feel like eternity.

Yes, you have my thanks for posting the description. Those moments are horrible, and it's bad enough to relive them, without having to hang them out for all of us to kick around.

The very best thing is that you had the situational awareness not to go on your deco reg until you were sure where you were. I had a situation in Canada that was somewhat similar, where I got vertigo in midwater at the gas switch, and chose to go negative rather than risk an uncontrolled ascent. Like you, I had the presence of mind NOT to put that reg in my mouth when I didn't know where I was.

We dive with such large gas reserves -- you can ALWAYS stay on backgas for a few minutes while you get yourself sorted out. Nothing's going to kill you at a gas switch except switching to the wrong gas or to the right gas at the wrong depth.

I'm glad Blackwood posted this as well. You seem to get pretty worked up about all possible issues though. There really isn't an algorithm on how to deal with a krill blackout, at night, in midwater, after losing a primary light, and dropping a backup light.

Sounds like a LHOTP scenario. :D

Blackwood, Thanks for posting, great story!

One other possibility Marc. Something I never even considered until I took a cave class.
Once you met up with Hirsch, just mug him for one of his backup lights, since it was tough to let him know what the problem is.

He has another (hopefully not stuck one)

Vis from 30 to surface for us was very poor and milky (verifying gas switches was pretty tough, requiring shining a light at exactly the right angle to not get all blown out)

It's also a very good exercise in adapting line-awareness to the vis, something I got reamed out for on a few dives a few years back.

Good that you got right back in the water though, and got that horse off your back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom