Things that make you appreciate the team.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having had this suggestion, I think I might well do this if I have to deploy a backup again in a cave, too. (And primary light failures just happen, no matter how careful you are!)

Where's it gonna go if you drop it?

Do you mark your line for 20'? If so one option could have been shooting your bag to know your depth.

Also not sure if DIR has an issue with this but I put a small o-ring on the inside of my chest D-ring that holds the backup light bolt snap to the inside and out of the way of my bottles. In class years ago I snapped a bottle into my backup weird and could not get it out. It really helps with two or more bottles.

The problem with that is that it creates dependency on that little o-ring. Take the time to learn to clip stuff off properly, that ability will serve you well.

I'm not a DIR diver or anything but the original diver did not conform to non dir standards let alone dir standards when their lights failed. And as long as the display is a available so is a reasonable safe ascent for a no deco reuired diver.

I'm not a DIR diver or anything but the original diver did not conform to non dir standards let alone dir standards when their lights failed. And as long as the display is a available so is a reasonable safe ascent for a no deco reuired diver.

:idk:

In what way exactly? And this was a deco required dive, as best I can tell.

Neither GUE nor UTD standards say anything about it not being ok to have an extremely human reaction when under stress, nor do they say anything about criticizing someone who had the courage to post a slightly embarrassing moment in the hopes that he/she and others could learn from it.

I'm confused, what are you trying to say?

That I didn't conform to standards in that I didn't rig up properly and/or verify all my lighting before descending? Okay, maybe. That I should have RTFM? Agreed.

BTW, as was mentioned, this was not a 'no-deco' dive. On backgas (i.e. if I hadn't switched to O2), I'd have had about a 30 minute obligation.

Neither GUE nor UTD standards say anything about it not being ok to have an extremely human reaction when under stress, nor do they say anything about criticizing someone who had the courage to post a slightly embarrassing moment in the hopes that he/she and others could learn from it.

In addition, let me reiterate something I find rather important: all this took place very quickly, and the team resolved it before I really even had time to think through all my options.

The problem with that is that it creates dependency on that little o-ring. Take the time to learn to clip stuff off properly, that ability will serve you well.

Yup without it there I don't think I could even get a bottle on or off these days.

Come on up and do some cold wrecks with us. Lets say two to three hours run time in water 39F on the bottom and a balmy 41F on top. So now you have three bottles to deal with in dry gloves with two liners and yes your fingers will be a little numb near the end. Then see if getting one more clip out of the way makes it just a little easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom