Things you wish your dive instructor would have told you about...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On my first drysuit dive at Vancouver Island, Comox, I was not told of these rushes of water called downwellings and upwellings along the walls we where diving. I just happen to overhear a conversation on our SI about them. Freaked me right out, dive the next dive anyway. Haven't had to deal with one yet either. But I sure have talked to some divers with wild stories about them.

How many wonderful opportunities diving creates:

1. Love for travel
2. Enviromental awareness
3. How hard UW photography is
4. How many new friends you can make
5. The zen feeling I will have when diving

vanessar

I wish my original instructors had told me:

1. About gas management.

2. About non-silting propulsion.

3. About balancing equipment.

What I wish they had warned me about? That my education was terrifyingly incomplete.

I wish my original instructors had told me:

1. About gas management.

2. About non-silting propulsion.

3. About balancing equipment.

What I wish they had warned me about? That my education was terrifyingly incomplete.

now these I have not heard anything about, please do fill me in!

I wish more time had been spent on things that go wrong: When someone blows an o-ring on a power inflator, when someone gets entangled in their own gear, boat-entry with tank turned off...
I've learned to deal with lots of things because they've happened; but reading about them on SB and I see their common enough that they really could have been covered.

I wish all instructors would teach the panic cycle. NOt all do, and it makes life so much easy for the new diver in regards to problem solving.

I wish my original instructor had taught us the importance of taking AOW and then Rescue within a reasonable period of time after OW. I don't mean immediately as some basic experience is necessary to appreciate AOW and Rescue, but I waited much longer than I ought to have waited.

I wish all instructors would teach the panic cycle. NOt all do, and it makes life so much easy for the new diver in regards to problem solving.

so, what is the panic cycle? I was taught how to calm myself if I begin to panic, maybe I wasn't paying attention.:idk:

I agree with all of the above.
He also forgot to tell me that after AOW your buoyancy controll still stinks, that you should practise mask clearing at every dive, that a knife is worth nothing in most situations but shears are, that flutter finning is the most stupid way of propulsion ever invented and you should start with the frog kick right away, that Padi is a nice start but not a complete programm if you want to become a good diver without having to log over a 1000 dives, that most people don't get narced at 18m/60ft deep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom