Things you've found under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

---------- Post Merged at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:18 PM ----------

I HAVE found weights for fishing line ...a battery cell...a used collar of rocket fired for practice purpose.....two peices of fishing hooks which were very near to my bcd..ready to puncture it... and that was my 3rd dive in open water....

I found a Vivitar 35mm camera in 40 feet of water in a Metridium field in Monterey Bay. Prolly dropped by some tourist out whale watching. To bad it wasn't in a water proof housing. Bruce

This thread is still going strong. I'll add another tidbit in the form of a dive report from July 2010. This was at the Marine Room in La Jolla, CA.

Conditions I encountered were similar to those described earlier, not
horrible but not too good either, and cold. There was a bit of north
current to contend with on both entry and exit. I was looking for
fried egg jellies and I had given up and was just turning towards
shore when a bundle of fine, long white tentacles suddenly drifted by
right in front of my face. I spent a few minutes following the jelly
which was in about 30' of water. Other than the jelly the only
critter worth mentioning was a very photogenic barred sand bass that
let me get within about 12" with the camera.
Shortly after turning towards shore I found a chair underwater. A
chair. I thought it might have come from the Beach &Tennis club but I also knew
there was no way I'd have the energy to drag it that far north to
compare. Regardless of where it came from, I once again find myself
asking, who does these things? Upon exiting the water I met a mom and
her two kids. Seeing me carrying the chair through the surf mom
noted, "You had quite the scavenger hunt, didn't you?" They were
tickled to see the pics of the fried egg jellyfish. Thankfully mom
offered to take the chair off of my hands because I knew I couldn't
leave it on the sand for high tide but I didn't know what else I was
going to do with it. I think this will be a night they'll all
remember for years to come. :)

In a local river beneath rapids where rafters often tip over I found over 8 pairs of sunglasses, a braclet, a ring, a nice folding knive, and a watch.

What, if anything, have you found and salvaged on your dives? I'm not talking about scavenging wrecks, I'm just curious to know what items, if any, all of you have stumbled upon while diving.

Here's my list to date :

4 kg of lead weights
2 masks
1 snorkel
1 safety sausage
1 bottle of champagne
1 dive knife with integrated bottle opener
assorted litter
I never seem to find much. Two weekends ago, my brother found a brand new picnic chair, still in its wrapper. Hubby and brother found fresh steaks and chicken, so somebody must have lost their barbecue off the boat.
Husband has found a nice gold bracelet out at the lake, thick gold.
the coolest thing he found though is a couple of 1940s coke and 7-up bottles down pretty deep at the back end of Catalina Dive Park. Pretty neat, imagining some sailor from WWII era, tossing their empty coke bottle off the ship. My Father was a sailor and loved seeing those bottles, although they were even before his time.

Last weekend while diving with my son we found a nice pair of womens sunglasses (which my wife now has) and a nice wenoka dive knife. We did a search pattern to look for more gear but suprisingly didn't find more. This place is almost always good for a snorkel, mask, weight pocket, dive weight, or something more.

I found an old ice saw in Rock Lake in Trevor, Wisconsin. Long ago they used to saw blocks of ice from lakes during the winter for use in iceboxes. I also found a cooling jacket for some sort of steam powered machine.

Regular stuff - couple of weeks ago I found an anchor on the Jetty. My friend got the long rope, I got the anchor (35lb lead drift boat - for sale on craigslist). I find a couple a year, as do many of my friends, which means; "if you want to lose an anchor - drop it off the Jetty. I may have already posted this.

2 days ago - snorkel and mask w/black Eugene Skin Divers strap - I'm holding it hostage until one of my friends from ESDS identifies (one of their students?) it otherwise it goes on craigslist. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom