Things you've found under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maggiemay,
You have stumbled onto a very interesting question. Bring it up or leave it? If the object you found has enclosed spaces, snorkle, foot pocket on a fin or anything enclosed, it more then likely has something living in it. What would I do? Well if it is a cheap ass snorkle I'd leave it. A gold goblet from a Spanish treasure ship.....screw it it is coming with me! Seriously give a thought to what may be living in what ever you bring to the top. If you find the afore mentioned goblet, hide it very well, make a map and send it to me. I will be sure that it is properly recycled!

Joe

Also keep in mind... it's trash; although something might be living in it... the bottom could probably do without the garbage.

Also keep in mind... it's trash; although something might be living in it... the bottom could probably do without the garbage.

I agree - just as the thousands (hundreds of thousands - or millions?) of tires that were dumped off of Florida to make living habitats showed - rubber and plastics do seep poisons into the ocean and, by and large, most aquatic plants and animals know it. While 90% of statistics are made up on the spot, it sure looked to me to be about 99% of those old tires had absolutely nothing growing on, or near, them (one, once in a while, does have stuff).

MasterGeorge...I can definitely confirm that those computers you saw down in Lake Rawlings are down there on the mid-shelf on purpose....check out the map! Interesting diving spot, isn't it?

Lake Rawlings - Diving

I have found:

2 stringers
1 spear pole
8 lbs of lead
1 dive light
4 anchors
1 fin- was able to return.
1 fishing pole (That I still use)
1 old bottle- I think it is a 7up bottle before the drink became 7up. It has TEEM and Pepsi cola Co. wrote on it.
1 weight pouch with weight in it. was able to give it back to the owner
1 gaft
1 pole with detachable end

I think that is all so far.

John

Night before last I was on a deep night dive and while I was hovering inches over the sandy floor my dive buddy came over and began to pull me away from my photo spot. I didnt resist as I figured he had some good reason and it turns out he did! I was almost lying on top of a 105mm warhead complete with primer that was encrusted. I thought it was a chunk of rock on the bottom and didnt take a closer look. It turns out there are two of them that must have been uncovered by some recent storms. Needless to say, I did NOT bring either back with me.

This is a photo of some 50 cal, 20mm and 40mm shells I have recovered from the Battle of Okinawa US invasion head sites between Torri Beach and the upper Sunabe area.
2401549130100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

I have recovered 8 Coke bottles as well with only two of them clearly WWII "issue" bottles based on their serial numbers and castings in the glass. The oddest of the bunch is this black one. The black is sand. I found this bottle about a half mile offshore in 70 feet or so mostly under the sand. There is NO black sand on Okinawa. My dive buddy believes that the sand is from Iwo Jima and somehow made its way here as the next island chain in the US progression towards Japan. I can only imagine what the story is behind this bottle and its sand...
2889532240100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

I usually dive in lakes and streams with an occasional trip to the ocean. I have found a ton of junk in area lakes and streams, a wallet floating about10 foot under the surface, 3 pairs of Oakley M frames, 4 dive watches ( all work ), 1 pony bottle, 3 dive fins (none match), a motorcycle, a dive scooter (flooded and bused) a bass tracker boat with 80hp motor rods and boxes strapped in, two finger reels, one Manta Jr Dive reel with Millwork SMB attached but not inflated, skeet thrower, briefcase, a hummingbird depth finder, a sealife camera system with digital strobes (why a system like this is in a lake I have no idea.... strobes will only light up floating particals And yes I still have it... no one has claimed it yet....), three bicycles, a bulldozer, a few rings, numerous fishing rods, tackle boxes, and such items.... Largest reward, duck hunter dropped a $3,000.00 shot gun off side of boat in 20 ft water..... he gave me 200 for getting it back for him. Weirdest find..... a box of female sex toys (about 30 of them I guess they are still down there)

MasterGeorge...I can definitely confirm that those computers you saw down in Lake Rawlings are down there on the mid-shelf on purpose....check out the map! Interesting diving spot, isn't it?

Lake Rawlings - Diving

ah thats what I figured was most likely the case, theres a bunch of other stuff there that they've sunken on purpose like the bus that I've seen although I hear theres some stuff thats been dumped there as well.

I read recently online that they plan to sink a plane there too, I'm going to have to go check it out when they do so :D

My dive knife, lost it on a day dive from the Nekton Rorqual out of an open BC pocket, discovered I had lost it at lunch. That night while swimming close to my wife taking pictures, just finning lazily along I found said dive knife....just where I had Lost it errrr...placed it earlier in the day!

jchapman3 - fun list of whats in your "treasure chest" - whether its worth sumpth'n or not you seem to really enjoy your finds - fits well your avatar (every dragon needs its treasure trove).

I have found the usual junk some flip flops a couple beer bottles... on one of my pool dives while i was getting certified my dad who was helping with the course caught a shimmer in the pool and it tured out to be a dimond from someones wedding ring they were quite pleased to have it back

Back
Top Bottom