Things you've found under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From a bit ago.

P7250208.jpg

Bob

new 9 16 085.jpgnew 9 16 082.jpgnew 9 16 086.jpg Today good finds... A sealed bottle of Ron bacardi dated 1940... YES... 75 yr old aged rum.. Don't know whats in the other bottle that is corded.. And a early 1800 inkwell.... Boy I love treasure hunting..

Jim...

OK... Today found second sealed bottle of rum... Same bottle as the first... When I got to the surface the cap POPPED off, Like it went " POP "... So now I know it's not a cork but a very early screw cap... SO are there more ? :confused: More research to do... I find the investigation as much fun as the dive...

Jim....

Love this thread.
I'm new to this forum but have been diving here in Australia for years.
My main interest is old shipping company china.
I'd love to hear from other members that also collect it or who have found bits and pieces.

Wes

Fun thread!

We did an underwater clean-up dive maybe 10 years ago in a shallow bay popular with recreational boaters in the summer. Pulled up gas grills, cocktail glasses, and all kinds of stuff that fell overboard. Can't remember how many pounds of stuff we pulled up.

Before moving here, we also used to do drift dives in the St Clair River south of Sarnia, Ontario, and it was not unusual to find ship china and fragments on those dives. White Star Line was the stuff I saw most often.

Some of my coolest finds were not underwater, but digging in an old abandoned oil well dating from the mid to late 1800s. Once the oil well stopped producing, it became a late Victorian garbage dump. In the mid to late 80s, we'd always find tons of old medicine bottles, soda bottles, liquor bottles, ink wells, spittoons, children's toys, etc. Bits of oil still seeped up, so it was messy and smelly and it took forever to clean up our finds. Most are still in my dad's attic, I think, and emptying that attic will be one of my fall chores. Can't wait to re-find it all again. My wife will love it when more boxes of "treasures" show up here (instead of staying there)...

An opened safe. I didn't find it diving, but kayaking was a very heavy duty safe (3' x 3'), that apparently, was dumped from a bridge it the river. It landed face up, door open in the river, just deep deep enough to be visible from the surface. It had been there a few years before I noticed it covered in algae. right in the middle of New Haven.

I've found countless sunglasses, anchors, and beer cans. I've been on dives where my buddy found a working go pro and another found a non working iPhone once.

My best find was a fishing pole on a mud bottom lake with zero viz that my buddy threw in the week before. Asked me to find it, apparently not a cheap rig. After feeling around in the muck for about thirty minutes I grabbed what felt like a stick, then moved my hand down and felt an eye hole... Success! I was thrilled as I thought there was no way I'd happen across it in those conditions. I couldn't even see it until I was about two feet from the surface, thing was bright red.

Just the webbing for a weight belt.... Lame I know. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have found lots of stuff but the funniest story is about me finding a near new DR Q dc in the surf at LBTS. We are coming out
and I see 2 bungie straps sticking out of the sand and I know what it is immediately....

My dive buddy lost it the night before and didnt say a thing to me because he knew how bad a razzing he would get. I flip it over and in big bold white pen is his name.....I asked him how his new computer is working, with a grin. He sheepishly tells me he lost it, I boldly, laughing my butt off say I found it. :D He has lost more dive gear than I can think of in the 3 yrs we have been diving togather.

Back
Top Bottom