Thinking about buying a boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard the "Two happiest days" many times. HOWEVER, I've purchased and sold three boats -- the first one because I had bought a bigger/newer one -- That was a truly happy day (and the people who bought it loved my old boat and we often saild together). The second boat went in my divorce -- I was both happy (thank goodness THAT was over) and sad -- it was a great boat but I had to simplify my life!

My last, and most beloved boat, was sold because my latest wife decided we needed to move away from the water (from my beloved house on the Lake -- 40' dock, etc.). So, was I happy when the boat was sold? Yes -- but only because I no longer lived at my house overlooking my beloved boat. Six happiest days? Oh no -- not even close.

I guess you didn't consider ditching the latest wife and keeping the boat??

(Gee I'll miss that woman)

So Peter given that your "latest wife" coerced you into moving from the water and selling your boat I then assume it will not be long before you ditch your double hose and join the Borg? If you get that boat give us a heads up so I can warn the folks on the hulltruth.com site.

All of you have a wonderful new year, even the Borg.

Here is a website with some more native North American boat desgns. These are some very salty looking planning hulls. Only seen one in real life that I got a look at but they are a clean looking hull with lower horsepower requirements. Several of the models come with cuddy cabins or pilot houses or the favorite of warm water boaters, center consoles as well.

http://www.mskiff.com/classic.html

Edited to correct the link

N

Join the Borg? NEVER!!!! (BTW, I'm still waiting to get my DA working -- it is coming along VERY slowly. I'm thinking hard about getting the Phoenix and upgrading -- but my latest wife just got me a set of doubles regs for Christmas so I'll be playing with doubled 72's with new regs for a while and won't have time to play with the DA even if it is put back together.)

You're not going to put a single outlet manifold on the 72s so you can use the DA?

I have never seen Nemrod, Ruler of the Depths on the hull truth, what's your nom de guerre over there. I'm buttanic

Captain, I only read the threads there, lot's of good information, good and inclusive site for many aspects of boating.

Peter, the DA is a piece of cake, send it to vss or vdh and be done with it, they will get it back in good order to you. As to the Phoenix, limited production items are available when they are and when they are not--well--to late. I suggest picking up one of the ten currently available at vdh now if your really interested.

If you get the boat or a boat, post some pics.

N

For having a 23' yamaha with 85 HP yam (30 knots), Panga style, I can tell you this:
Do not ride with piles unless you get the meat mashed for the hamburger. Does not cut any wave but broaches the next one.....
But much more stable on rolling because of its about zero deadrise. And I still love this boat. Solid as a rock.

Note also that for fuel/power efficiency, you have to load maximum to the stern. So this leaves a lot of front space useless for heavy load and if you store anything there, it is most likely to fly high in the chops.

Richard, you'll get the full story this weekend, however, the short version is we will NOT get an old Thunderbird (too expensive) and we will wait for the Boat Show and spend time there looking around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom