Thinking about getting a dive watch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcf57

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am a new diver (about 15 recorded dives) and so far am really enjoying this newly discovered hobby. I am in the market for a watch and I thought maybe I could also look into one that basically has a dive computer of some sort on it. Are there such watches for consumers and casual divers like myself? I was hoping to try and get something not too expensive, but maybe that is asking too much. Any recomendations on how to go about looking for such a product?

For a good "Bottom Timer" that is downloadable look at the Citizen Aqualand. Keep in mind that it may act like a computer but it isn't. I've worn one daily for the past 15 or so years and like it a lot.

Gary D.

For a good "Bottom Timer" that is downloadable look at the Citizen Aqualand. Keep in mind that it may act like a computer but it isn't. I've worn one daily for the past 15 or so years and like it a lot.

Gary D.

I also use this watch when I dive.It is very dependable/durable.

This is the watch I wear everyday now. Perfect for diving.
I also have the “D” shaped anniversary edition but like the looks of this one for everyday wear.
JV0010-08E.jpg

If you dive just fresh water, those cheap walmart brand watches can be had for less than 10 bucks. I've taken them down to 70 ft without problems. I bought one at the odd lots for $5.

After we spent a week salt water diving, my son's beat up old watch got stuck on a mode. I am not sure if it is the salt water, but it took about 2 days for it to become unstuck. Might be a salt crystal forming under one of the buttons.

Losing one of these is better than my instructor's losing his expensive bottom timer at Gilboa.

You can get a oceanic geo, aeris manta, cressi edy, sunnto misquito and mares nemo sport, they are on lower end of the price range for a wrist computer that also doubles as a watch. They are nitrox capable computers, but can also serve as a digital watch. They are about the same price as a good quality quartz dive watch, between 200-400 dollars.

I am not a big fan of using my dive computer as a watch, do not like idea of possibly damaging the dive computer. But I also like the fact of having a regular dive watch as a back up bottom timer to my computer.

I also perfer a large display of a standard computer over the ones that doubles as a watch due to the bigger screen.

Citizen makes good quartz diving watches in a wide range of price depending the features you want. But there are plenty of other watch companies that make excellent dive watches in the price range in the same price of a computer-watch combo. Luminox, sieko, fiesta and allot of others.

St. Mortiz makes a great watch. I've had mine for 3 years now its very durable. I have had to send it back once because I didn't screw the crown down far enough and it flooded. Turn around time was about 2 weeks and they even replaced the crystal face for free. I prefer to have a computer and a back up timing device. I check the tables and set the bezel for the dive time. For the price it is a great watch o yeah its also rated to 660 feet.

You will probably get lots of opinions on this one. I'm an older diver and have difficulty reading small numbers. I have a bunch of Seiko and Citizen Dive watches that I wear on a daily basis just because I like the look of a dive watch. However, for diving, I use a Veo100NX computer AND (because of the really big numbers) I wear a Timex Ironman Flix (100m). You will probably find that you will be happier with a watch you like for daily wear and a computer for diving .... 2 separate items.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom