Thinking about getting started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JVC still has one that uses HDV, but it doesn't compare in quality to the current AVCHD offerings.
Read a little further...
I don't think there is one in the consumer video space. I'm not even sure there's a HDD camera that doesn't use AVCHD compression. I only know Sony well and have slight knowledge of Canon/Panasonic consumer models.

All the current Sony's record in AVCHD as you've may have noticed. As does the Canon HF10 and the Panasonic HDC-SD9. And Sony uses their proprietary Memory Stick Pro Duo media.

I think JVC does one but they have a non-standard proprietary mpeg2-TS format. Not sure what editors support that - at least without using an intermediate codec during the import process.

And to further clarify my original post - from camcorderinfo.com's review of the HD6 (dated Mar. 20, 2008):
Working with the MPEG-2 TS files produced by the JVC GZ-HD6 is less than ideal. Consider the fact we’ve found several lengthy documents online with tutorials on this specific subject. JVC has confirmed there is no software at this time that works with the raw files from the camcorder, though there should be something this spring from Pinnacle. When directly transported to the computer via the USB cable, only the included software works correctly with the video clips. You can then use the software to convert them to more common file types that will work with the NLE of your choice.

There is a simple work-around, though, that works in many cases. After you’ve imported the files to your computer, simply make a manual change of the file extension from .TOD to .M2T. This is not surefire for compatibility with all NLEs, so you may want to make a copy of the file, then change the extension.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom