Thinking of Going to Bonaire!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm also thinking of going to Bonaire for maybe a week in March-April. I won't be hiring a car/truck, & may or may not be with a buddy. I'm looking for somewhere I can dive when I want to & spend the rest of the time lazing on a nice beach (need a relaxing holiday!). Can anyone recommend a hotel / other accommodation that is:
- close to dive sites and a beach (i.e. walkable, or with a dive centre on site).
- Also near to a small town or somewhere to get away form the hotel if I feel like eating elsewhere?
Regaldive do packages with flights included; anyone know if these are good value? Harbour Village is 'From £1794', & Buddy Dive is 'from £1505' flights included.

For much shore diving, you're going to want a truck. Bonaire is not a 'beach' place. Eden Beach Resort has a beach; I hear Harbor Village (pricey) does, but I haven't seen it. I was thinking maybe one other place did, but I don't recall it. If a beach is a big deal, you might want to read the Bonaire vs. Curacao threads.

From what I've seen, civilization in Bonaire is Kralendijk (capital); everything else is scattered rural places, with Rincon the 'locals city' though I don't see much to stop at there, and it's inland, not near the west coast. In a nutshell, you don't have quite the equivalent of a small town.

Richard.

Although I enjoy AI in some dive destinations, I was quite happy to stay at Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn for the diving and eat healthy by buying good stuff at the local supermarkets. I did eat out twice, but since I was focused on my diving including at night, I was quite happy to just eat healthy snacks (and lose some pounds!). I know most normal humans wouldn't like that route but it worked for me. I was there to dive and film, dive and film... and that was great.

Well if you can afford it, I'd advise you stay at Harbour Village. They have a great beach, great food and is pretty well self contained. I'd say it's the most luxurious resort on the island. We go there for "special occasions". Any diving you do while staying there should be on their boat as their beach dive straight offshore is pretty lousy. Nice sand beach but "sand" is boring underwater. You can however cross the channel underwater (about 50 yards) to get to the "Something Special" dive site which is a nice dive. HV however is definitely NOT a place for those who want to dive and dive some more.

I'm also thinking of going to Bonaire for maybe a week in March-April. I won't be hiring a car/truck, & may or may not be with a buddy. I'm looking for somewhere I can dive when I want to & spend the rest of the time lazing on a nice beach (need a relaxing holiday!). Can anyone recommend a hotel / other accommodation that is:
- close to dive sites and a beach (i.e. walkable, or with a dive centre on site).
- Also near to a small town or somewhere to get away form the hotel if I feel like eating elsewhere?
Regaldive do packages with flights included; anyone know if these are good value? Harbour Village is 'From £1794', & Buddy Dive is 'from £1505' flights included.
Short version:

Every waterfront dive resort on Bonaire has it's own operator. And house dive. Many are named dive sites also.

None of the resorts mentioned above have everything you want.

Harbour Village comes the closest if you want a beach - especially one you can access the water from. As Vince mentioned it's also the nicest property on Bonaire - has it's own dive operator but there's just a small wreck and some coral rubble for a house dive. It's at the south end of "resort row" so you could walk to the other resorts for dinner etc - all have at least one restaurant. There's also a small plaza in the area - small market, ATM, ice cream shop etc. From Harbour Village it's about a mile+ walk to downtown Kralendijk.

Buddy's "beach" is a strip of sand near the bar and pool(s) 20' above the water fronted by ironshore cliffs. Eden Beach has ironshore just off their beach. It's also compact, backed by their new Spice Beach Club. Eden Beach is just north of Harbour Village so about the same walk. Buddy's is an empty field and 2 other dive resorts farther north. I wouldn't want to walk that far personally.

The other resort with a "beach" is the Divi Flamingo. The advantage the Divi has is you can walk north to downtown from there in about 10 minutes. Their house dive is Calabas Reef. That's the whole beach though.

Farther south is the Plaza Resort. Their main beach is volleyball/beach bar but they also have several areas where they have lounges waterfront. Beach | Van der Valk Plaza Beach Resort The Plaza is about as far south as I'd want to walk to town from - it's a big resort and by the time you get from the villas to the north gate it's already a hike. The hotel rooms are arond the pool so wouldn't be my choice. The 18Palms dive site is their house dive. It's also kind of a hassle, the dive shop/lockers are at the far south end on the lagoon and 18Palms is on the far north side of the property. They do stage tanks there though.

Past there is the lagoon, airport and then Belnem. Not much in Belnem meets your criteria and you'd have to drive for any food - it's mostly condos.
Fyi, there's 16 cabs on Bonaire. So availability might be an issue. Especially when there's a cruise ship or two at Town Pier downtown. There's only one "town" on Bonaire - Kralendijk. The other small town - Rincon is away from the coast in the hills.

For L300 difference I'd stay at Harbour Village. Buddy's isn't anywhere close to as nice.

Although Richard mentioned Curacao meeting your requirements would be difficult there also. The in-town resorts don't have the best shore dives and anything further west would require a car to access the shore dive sites.

Given any thought to Grand Cayman? Stay at one of the nice resorts on Seven Mile Beach. All the dive operators pick up daily streetside in their vans and shuttle you to their boats. SMB is not diveable though - the reef is too far out. And the AI dive resorts - have decent or better shore dives but no beach - they're all on ironshore. There's also bus (small van) service all over Grand Cayman. And lots of expensive cabs...

Last edited:
Sand Dollar has as small sandy beach with one of the best dive sites on the island just a few yards further west. There are two dive ops on site, along with two restaurants and a third across the road. More diving and a restaurant are at Buddy Dive, a 5 min walk north.

I'm looking for somewhere I can dive when I want to & spend the rest of the time lazing on a nice beach (need a relaxing holiday!).

Disclaimer: I'm not a beach person; sand can be exhausting to walk on as it slides under my feet, and I could lay in a chair on the back deck and roast in the sun in August back home for no extra charge. I look at a beach and I see a desert that happens to go to the ocean.

So I need to ask some questions to get a sense of what you are after in 'lazing' on a 'nice' beach. The answer could impact suitability of some places. I ask partly because some people may associate sandy beaches with oceanfront so strongly as to not consider the non-sandy beach oceanfront options.

1.) Is it the ocean view? If you just want to sit in a chair staring at nature's majesty, sunsets over the water, you don't need a sandy 'beach.' Iron shore oceanfront works just fine for this. You might even enjoy a pier, like at Buddy Dive, that you can walk out on and see some fish hunting in the lights. When at Eden Beach Resort, I liked walking along the edge of the water at night with a flashlight; where water washes over the flattened rocks, we'd find chain moray eels hunting.

2.) Is it beach sports? Volley ball and what not? When at Buddy Dive Resort I believe I saw a volley ball net. Not something I'd use, and I didn't see anybody playing.

3.) Is it making sand castles or burying yourself in the sand? If the latter, you might want to inquire how deep the sand is at some of these 'beaches.' From what I understand, not all are natural.

4.) Do you just like staring at large patches of waterfront sand? Is walking on it fun for you?

Richard.

Sand Dollar has as small sandy beach with one of the best dive sites on the island just a few yards further west.
She posted "nice beach". I think of a beach as a place where you can actually get in the water...lol. Admittedly there is that little piece to the south up against the Den Laman dock where you can enter the water. Plus the pool is in the parking lot - who thought that was a good idea...

http://www.bonairepros.com/images/Accommodations/sd beach view.jpg
http://www.usdivetravel.com/SandDollarBonaire-ShoreDiving3.jpg

I'm [-]also[/-] thinking of going to [-]Bonaire[/-] Curacao for maybe a week in March-April. I won't be hiring a car/truck, & may or may not be with a buddy. I'm looking for somewhere I can dive when I want to & spend the rest of the time lazing on a nice beach (need a relaxing holiday!).

Fixed it for you!

Same diving as Bonaire from an underwater standpoint. But with plenty of genuine, honest-to-gosh, sandy beaches above water as well!

Most all of the nicest beaches have dive ops right there.

curacao-beach-vacations.jpg

394_640x480.jpg

marie02.jpg

RJP,

Name one that has all she wants though, resort on the beach, close to other dining options, dive shop on-site. I was hard-pressed to think of one on Curacao. The closest I can think of is the Marriott in Piscadera Bay or Lions Dive south of town. Lions Dive doesn't have the best beach either - it's all broken up by pavilions and the breakwater.

She's not planning on renting a car. So that sort of rules out the more isolated western resorts like Lodge Kura Hulanda. Must be the better part of a $100 cab ride out there although they do have a shuttle that takes guests into town regularly - it runs between it and Hotel Kura Hulanda downtown. Also anything between there and Blue Bay isn't beachfront. Neither is much south of town.

I guess there's the Avila but they don't have a dive shop on site. I can't in good conscience recommend Sunscape, it's older and a kids resort. Not my idea of relaxing. The Renaissance is way too close to the Megaport to be a contender. Plus they shuttle divers to the Marriott in Piscadera Bay to go out with Caribbean Sea Sports.

Know any others?

Back
Top Bottom