Thinking of Moving to the Philippines!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have over 120,000 Philipinas working in HK as domestic helper. The minimum legal wage is around HK$3,500.00(US$450.00 or P20,000) + full board per month. Pea nut money as far as I am concern but for the poor Philipino P20,000 is a good sum to earn judgeing by the number of them flocking to HK and other places.
Unless you have possess certain skill that the local could not provide, leave the job to them.

Diving here is exceptionally good.

I'm hoping someone can. The CDN equivalent is around $4600 which sounds like a steal to me for lifetime residency.

Special Retiree Visa for the Philippines.

All foreign nationals below 50 and at least 35 years of age are required to deposit the amount of US$75,000.00 with any PRA shortlisted bank. Those aged 50 and above are required to deposit US$50,000.00. Former Filipinos are required to deposit US$1,500.00

There are also other fees:
The amount of Php 7,600 charged by the Bureau of Immigration for change-of-admission status of the principal applicant into a special resident retiree is included in the US$1,500.00 or US$2,000.00 service/processing fee but the additional fee of 7,600.00 for the spouse and for each dependent shall be for the account of the applicant. Likewise, the amount of Php 500.00 is charged as express lane fee for every endorsement to the Bureau of Immigration. US$15.00 per year is charged for every PRA ID card of each applicant, spouse and dependent effective August 16, 2001.

Service fee of US $100.00 for each dependent (spouse and children) effective April 1, 2001.

If the visa is issued by the Philippine Embassy/Consulate abroad, the applicant and his spouse and dependents shall pay the corresponding visa fees.

The Retiree pays the visitorial fee of one percent (1.0%) per annum of the Philippine Peso equivalent of the requisite dollar deposit converted into actual investment effective September 15, 2001.

If I read it right instead of the one time deposit or X amount of dollars, you can also
buy a condo or lease a house and lot. They will accept that as your one time deposit.

Just do a search for the special retiree visa for the Philippines for more information. Maybe anyone that has used it can shed some more light on the subject.

<snip>

Just do a search for the special retiree visa for the Philippines for more information. Maybe anyone that has used it can shed some more light on the subject.

When I came back from my first visit in 2008, I knew I wanted to be able to come back for extended periods so I did look into the info provided in your post above. I even jacked up my line of credit at the bank in case I came across a condo within my budget. Since then, I've decided not to make such a commitment at this time as I'm not in a position (financially or mentally) to attempt a long term move right now.

I'm still interested in learning more, though, as the place truly resonated with me for some reason and I constantly think of returning. :)

There are many options for a foreigner to stay in the Philippines, but only a few of them allow you to legally work there. If you just want to visit, but not work, you can get a Tourist Visa, a Retiree Visa, a Spousal Visa, a student Visa.

Tourist Visa: You can stay as a Tourist. The initial 21 days is free, but after that you have to get visa extensions every 59 days at a cost of about P3050. You can stay for about 18 months, then have to leave the country for at least a day, then can return and start again as a tourist.

Spousal Visa: If you are married to a Philippine citizen, you can get a spousal visa for about P30,000. It takes a minimum of 3 moths to process, usually longer, and then you can stay for unlimited time, but you must renew the visa periodically. They give you a card called an ACR card that you present on entry to show your status and expedite entry. You have to renew the ACR every 3? years. [A lot of expats married to filipinas seem to be able to work there in a family business, but technically it's not exactly legal and you are vulnerable.]

Special Resident Retiree Visa: If you are retired, you can stay in the Philippines if you deposit money in a Philippine Bank, with different deposit requirements based on age etc. Here are some of the details.
Retirement Option and their Required Time Deposit

1. With Pension &#8211; 50 years. Old and above &#8211; the required time deposit is US$10, 000.00 plus a monthly pension of US$800.00 for a single applicant and US$1,000.00 for couple {I think you have to deposit the $10,000 to a Philippine bank, and deposit your pension to a Philippine bank each month; you can invest the $10,000 in a condo later. There are annual fees too}

2. Without Pension

o 35 to 49 years old &#8211; US$50, 000.00 time deposit

o 50 years old and above &#8211; US$20, 000.00 time deposit

o Former Filipino Citizens (at least 35 years old, regardless of the number of dependents &#8211; US$1,500.00)

o Ambassadors of foreign countries who served and retired in the Philippines, current and former staff members of international organizations including ADB (at least 50 years old) - US$1,500.00

3. A resident retiree can bring with him, without additional deposit, his spouse and a child who is unmarried and below 21 years old or if the spouse is not joining, two (2) children (provided they are unmarried and under 21 years of age.)

Special Tourist Visas: For Newsman, reporters etc. For Yacht/sailboat Crew. For Students to Philippine schools.

Work Visas:

Business Visa: Sponsored by a company in the Philippines. Your Philippine employer pays the fees, guarantees your leaving at the expiration. [You can't be self employed unless you invest in a company.]

Special Investor&#8217;s Resident Visa (SIRV):
Any alien who is at least twenty-one (21) years of age, who meets the following qualifications:

&#8226; He has not been convicted of a crime involving moral turpitude
&#8226; He is not afflicted with any loathsome, dangerous or contagious disease
&#8226; He has not been institutionalized for any mental disorder or disability
&#8226; He is willing and able to invest the amount of at least US$75,000.00

You must invest in a manufacturing or services business as defined by the Philippine govt.

Comments: You need to obey the laws and be courteous and respectful towards filipinos. If you don't, you can be permanently expelled.

I personally know of a German guy who was married to a filipina and owned a nice dive resort near Liloan. He got in a fight with a local filipino, and he hassled the snail diggers who dug in front of his resort. He was permanently expelled and blacklisted. He abandoned his wife, and she leased the resort to a Korean dive operator for 25 years, paid in advance. She effectively held on to the property without any effort, but retainis the income. Basically he lost everything for his bad conduct: his wife, his entire investment and his ability to live in the Philippines.

Another guy, an really good dive instructor, made a disparaging comment about his German employer. He was summarily fired and has not been able to find steady work since.

The moral of the story, Be a gentleman if you want to stay. Even though this is a poor country, the people are hardworking, honest and proud. The laws and traditions are very much against any foreigner who is not on his best behavior.

Last edited:
re ACR-I card, its renewable every 5 years, looks like credit card but it has a microchip inside that stores all your visa related data

Anna, the bloke(s) here Retirement Living in the Philippines-book page says there are 19 reasons :shocked2:

LOL! Thanks for the link, Caloy. I was fine with the most of the list except:

Find a beautiful Filipina who completes you rather than competes with you

Live in a male oriented society, as compared to a female, feminist oriented society where males are confused about what it is to be a man?

Regardless, if you know of any Filipino gentlemen who are open-minded, flexible, adventurous, child-free, mentally and financially stable, and are open to a meaningful, long-term relationship, do let me know. :D

I personally know of a German guy who was married to a filipina and owned a nice dive resort near Liloan. He got in a fight with a local filipino, and he hassled the snail diggers who dug in front of his resort. He was permanently expelled and blacklisted. He abandoned his wife, and she leased the resort to a Korean dive operator for 25 years, paid in advance. She effectively held on to the property without any effort, but retainis the income. Basically he lost everything for his bad conduct: his wife, his entire investment and his ability to live in the Philippines.

So, basically, the guy was scammed from his lifetime investment and his wife stole everything he owned... and the local community, police and government did nothing to intervene or protect the man's legal rights. His bad deed was to "hassle local snail diggers"? :rofl3:

It's not a great advertisement for the Philippines, or any encouragement for a international businessman to spend his money here. It is also a gross exageration and does not reflect the reality here.

It's this sort of story that scares potential investors away from the Philippines, at all levels of commerce. Despite all its natural advantages, the Philippines is a waste-land for international investement when compared with other Asian nations, because of this sort of scare-mongering.

I am sure your story is inaccurate and stems from some personal issue, rather than an accurate recollection of a story. When I hear one-sided stories like these from expats, it normally disguises the bad experience of the story teller himself. Those bad experiences tend to stem from an arrogant attitude and an inability to associate with, and work among, the local culture.

The Philippines is a great place. There are several posters on this thread (myself included) who have managed/owned business in the PI. Surviving and thriving as an expat in any country requires an open-mind, patience... and an ability to understand and work within a different culture.

Those expats who cannot manage that, tend to get themselves into trouble, get bitter and fail to see their own short-comings.

To the OP.... you will enjoy the Philippines. Ignore the scare stories from Slowhands. I don't know what his issue is, but he is very negative. You can get a visa here. Not as easy as other SE Asian nations, but it is achievable. The diving, culture, economy and wonder of the Philippines certainly makes the effort worthwhile. As long-term diving instructors, I am sure you are well versed with thriving amongst foreign cultures. The Philippines is one of the easiest places to understand culturally in Asia.

Yes, there is corruption. Yes, there is cronyism. Yes, there is inefficiency and frustrating beaurocracy. I still love it here.

All I can say is .....WOW! This one went south fast.

Regardless, if you know of any Filipino gentlemen who are open-minded, flexible, adventurous, child-free, mentally and financially stable, and are open to a meaningful, long-term relationship, do let me know. :D

Maybe he has a sister for your friend from Catalina!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom