Thinking to solo dive ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too think most dives are in reality solo dives. two new divers or holiday divers are not likely to be able to help each other in an emergency.

That may be true but, in theory, a new, just certified this morning, diver should be able to assist his/her buddy or complete the dive alone. If they can't, they are diving beyond their training/experience.

I think that many of the opinions on solo diving we hear/read are derived from a falty understanding of team diving...which, in turn, leads to equally invalid conclusions regarding solo diving.

Great topic - good article and timely. I don't actually dive solo very often, prefer to dive with a buddy for the social aspects of the dive.

However when diving with a buddy I firmly believe that I am responsible for ensuring I come back from the dive and you are responsible for ensuring that you come back from the dive. i.e. I am diving solo and there just happens to be someone else in the water nearby. Doesn't mean I am not paying attention to my buddy or that I won't render assistance if something goes wrong, just that I am not relying on them to be paying attention to me. I am also not going to follow you around like a puppy on a leash. You want to chase around and see everything on your dive I am going to let you go, I'll be where you left me happy as a clam doing my dive solo.

When actually diving solo I am more likely to call a dive at any point. If anything bothers me before the dive or I am unsure at all during the dive, I call it.

I really liked the comment re the end of the dive. The dive is not over until you are completely out of the water with no potential for falling back in. Too easy to let your guard down once you get to the surface.

I would add that the dive starts as you approach the water - not once you are in. Easy to trip and fall climbing over logs/rocks, slip on the swim grid, or whatever - now you are in the water, possibly stunned, possibly in surf - and you have to find your reg or whatever to survive.

I would also add that there are at least two agencies that certify solo divers.

Solo diving is very much about making an honest assessment of both your skills and your mental strengths and weaknesses.

Some people get off on this, some people don't. (I've noticed) You generally find people in one category or another. For every person who is drawn to this process, you'll find at least as many who live to avoid it.

The dive is not over until you are completely out of the water with no potential for falling back in.
MAJOR point. It's the little stuff that will kill you, usually. Reminding yourself and attending to this fact, benefits all areas of your life.

I personally don't believe in redundant emergency air, (for me) I need the threat of being SOL whispering in my ear in order to "pay attention". Everybody says "get a pony." If I got a pony, I'd probably kill myself promptly. One chance helps me to think more clearly. Too many back up plans make me get sloppy, I find.

There is certainly a component of rebellion involved for those of us who live in fear that some law will be passed saying we can no longer swim alone.

I did have an OOA with a half cracked valve around 70 ft, and it made me less smug. Freediving can give you a false sense of security because surfacing all that scuba gear is literally a big drag.

I find solo diving to be a very relaxing way to enjoy a dive. Although I mostly dive with buddies sometimes just prefer the solitude. As far as danger aspect is concerned those opposed to solo diving often quote accident reports involving poorly equipped/trained divers or worse accidently separated buddies and blame solo diving as the key source of the accident. Back in the bad old days (80s and 90s) there was a rash of ill equipped/untrained divers getting in trouble in caves. Mostly they didn't come back and people looked at cave diving as extremely dangerous. For those not properly prepared cave diving is extremely dangerous and the same thing applies to solo diving to a lesser degree.
When I started solo diving I had almost 100 dives under my belt. Much later I started diving with a rebreather. It was not until I had around 100 dives on CCR before I felt comfortable enough to dive solo. I would be very interested to see accident statistics that differenciated between trained solo and accidental solo divers. I think making that distinction might change some attitudes.

Some good info. and input in the post.....nice to read folks expressing opinions in a civil and constructive manor.

I do recreational solo diving and have been know to do technical o/w dives solo....its alot about experience, preparation and non complacency.

saturday, I went to the langley tire reef cause winds were just terrible, wanted to practice my coast entries but vis didnt seem right. Any way seen bob from anacortes supply, I run in to him every couple of years, said vis is awesome. I was solo diving there is so much to see there, Its a shame there going to tear it out and no shore access to the area any more. There must have been storm scare in the sea I was taking a breath and WAM my regulator was completely out of my mouth sucked in saltwater choked gagged (thought to myeslf NO not 30') thank god my air 2 was there I hit the air button, spit out the seawater. I turned around a 2' ling cod was charging me again , I didn't see the egg mass, but I let him know he was in charge, cause I left that spot.
Now at the surface after my dive seen bob With his students, and warned him, He knew, he did video earlier to show the port the life down there on the 28 th at a meeting.
Met Jan k there he was looking in the water off the dock, I asked him if he lost keys I found a set down there, He said no, looking at the vis, I told him it was dimminihsing and about the lingcod. Being he dives there all the time, Jan said the little lincod has its eggs there every year.
When solo diving, No your Equipment depth and time, as hard as the ling hit me, could knocked my mask enough to flood it also.
Wheather with a buddy or not things happen fast, One can only survive these tasks By skills taught through classes, and diving regularly. I will never stop solo diving or let near death accidents scare me, I will be in the water in 40 min, after the dive I will forget about the dramatic dive I had.

Good luck to all and keep diving safely.

The diver did not make it, I wish he would have called me to go diving, I had so many people I could have hooked him up with. Coming from someone who 10 years ago who would have said solo diving is the way to go, I think quite the opposite these days.

I strongly urge anyone who solo dives to think about the diving community and how we structure our training. We owe it to newer divers to discourage solo diving and encourage proper dive planning and critical awareness.

He was a friend even though not a student, I certified his fiance so he could propose to her underwater. I am pained over her grief and her loss. My condolences.

I would be very interested to see accident statistics that differenciated between trained solo and accidental solo divers. I think making that distinction might change some attitudes.

What is a trained solo diver?

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of solo diving is NOT recreational divers who are tired of insta-buddies. The first divers that come to mind are the sump divers I know. The exploration may be done as a team but the diving is almost all solo. I don't know a single one who has ever taken the SDI solo course or who asks the approval or permission of an agency or DM. They are simply applying the methods they think are appropriate for the environment and dive objectives.

Regardless of whether one does solo dive I think everyone should be capable of it. That's not to suggest that anyone in particular should do it but self-reliance should be a goal of everyone. Team diving may be safer but insta-buddy diving isn't necessarily. Even with team diving if the team breaks down for whatever reason self-reliance should be there. If one is convinced that solo diving is intrinsicaly dangeous I'm not sure that they will be in a proper frame of mind should self-reliance be necessary as dictated by unforeseen circumstances.

I prefer diving with someone for social reasons but if the person available isn't someone I want to socialize with or isn't someone I want to dive with for other reasons I sometimes solo dive. I much prefer those who do have good buddy skills. When accidents occur however solo diving is often mentioned as if it is the primary cause when in my opinion it usually isn't. Often divers with buddies engaging in the same behavior meet the same fate.

I'm a solo diver. I didn't start solo diving until I had close to 150 dives and was extremely comfortable in the water. I did a lot of reading mostly on this board, and did many dives with a solo diver. I spent close to 3k reconfiguring all my gear. Lots of logged dives with the new gear before my first solo dive. Diving for me is an escape from the noise of every day life. I enjoy the solitude and relaxation of being in the water alone. Buddy diving is also very enjoyable and I'm very fortunate to have a few great buddies to dive with. Personally I have the best of both worlds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom